Rotating kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmike99

Reaction score
Since I'm just starting to build up a pipeline (finally) I was wondering what some experiences were for those that rotate partially drank kegs in and out of their lineup. I currently only have a 2 tap kegorator and aren't planning on upgrading for a while since it's a nice unit and portable.

Everything that would be taken out of the rotation would be carbed and filled with co2 so I doubt there would be any issues, especially if it's just for a few weeks. Also I should add that the kegs would still be kept between 30-40 degrees.

Cheers:mug:

Personally, I'd just kill the keg before you tap a new one. If I'm kegging a beer it's because I want to drink it fresh. For me, bottling is for all those big beers you want to age. Maybe if you know you're not going to want to drink a full batch of a beer on the tap then just keg half of it and bottle the rest.

I have 2 kegs too but only 1 faucet atm. What I do is have one keg on tap ready to serve and the other is usually cold crashing in the fermentor. Once the unkegged beer is ready to be kegged I borrow the gas QD from the live keg and force carb to 30 psi and do the rolling-the-keg-on-the-side thing. Once I feel the beer has soaked up all the gas I hook back up the live keg. I let the new keg sit for a couple days then hook the gas back up to it and see where it's at. If it's ready to go I'll leave it a 10 psi and if I want to drink it I just switch the QD and faucet line to the new keg. I use 5 ft of line so I only have a couple ounces of the other beer in the line. I just pour it out, drink it, then pour the new keg in my glass.
It's sort of a ghetto way of doing it but I haven't gotten a 2nd setup of QD's, faucet, and gas splitter. It'll happen at some point but right now this works for me and my beer doesn't suffer at all.

No issues swapping kegs in and out of rotation. I don't do it often, but every now and then I have a need for this. I move the keg from fridge to basement and back to fridge as I see fit. No problem.

Personally, when I have a new brew and want to make room, I bottle what's left in the current keg.

Out of curiosity, how would you be keeping the extra kegs cold? If your keezer is big enough and you just don't have enough faucets I'd get a couple picnic taps. As mentioned though the beer will be fine, it's more a question of whether the style is better when young.

Keeping them cold in my garage. Beer I rotated is a porter so I'm good. It's only got a few pints left anyway so it'll be done shortly.

As far as bottling I'm hoping santa brings me a bottling gun....that'll solve a lot of issues.

Cheers all. Thanks for the replies.

What if a keg was pulled out of a fridge, and into a utility room?

If the room was at 70 degrees, would it be the same as bottle conditioning?

What is the impact of a beer swinging in temperature from a fermenting temp to a serving temp?

What if a keg was pulled out of a fridge, and into a utility room?
I've done this a few times. Utility room is about 65 ambient, and the concrete floor has to drop that about 5 degrees.

If the room was at 70 degrees, would it be the same as bottle conditioning?
This is the reason I did it. I had a young beer that needed some time, so I took it out of the kegerator and let it age for another month or two in the storage room. When I put it back on, it was much better.

What is the impact of a beer swinging in temperature from a fermenting temp to a serving temp?
No impact. Urban legend. It's light that kills beer, not temperature swings.

You want to make sure there's a good seal on the kegs, though one of mine lost pressure and still tasted fine. It required a few days back on gas before it was back to proper carbonation, however.

Back