rootbeer float

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houndhome1

Reaction score
I just started my first open fermentation batch of brew. I have always done a closed system with an airlock. I brew all grain. With in 24 hours the reaction is unbelievable. It looks like a root beer float. There some much foam.

I can't wait to taste the end product to se the difference. I may never go back to a closed fermentation. I would recommend that everyone try it at least once.

I just started my first open fermentation batch of brew. I have always done a closed system with an airlock. I brew all grain. With in 24 hours the reaction is unbelievable. It looks like a root beer float. There some much foam.

I can't wait to taste the end product to se the difference. I may never go back to a closed fermentation. I would recommend that everyone try it at least once.

Have you ever fermented in a carboy? You can see the "root beer float" with the security of a blow off tube or airlock.

Are you going to use hops, or go old school? My LHBC did two attempts at an Egyptian beer before I joined... I gather that they could at least gulp down the second.

I brewed a tongue splitter from northern brewer. it full of hops, I going to a closed secondary after it settles. Just a bit confused on the form, one book say's to leave it becuase it protects against germs, the other book say's to skim, becuase it was cause bitterness. I thiink I will let it settle down and then wash the yeast cake during transfer.

Are you going to use hops, or go old school? My LHBC did two attempts at an Egyptian beer before I joined... I gather that they could at least gulp down the second.

No hops. I'll either bitter with something that would have been available to them or, more likely, not bitter it at all and drink it as soon as I hit FG.

From what I've seen on History/Discovery, we wouldn't even call it beer. Their method of mashing involved making dough and putting it in water. There were also a large number of fruit adjuncts like raisins and dates. I also remember hearing from one source that it wasn't even really a liquid. More like an alcoholic bread stew. Or maybe they were just dipping bread in it.

Anyway, this is why I have a bunch of 1g jugs. I'll just keep experimenting til I get something that'd be good after a long day of toiling under the AZ sun. :)

Latest posts

Back