Root beer Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDale

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to make this? There is someone that makes it in my area i guess but i have not been able to find it.

I would just imagine an easy way would be to use rootbeer extract, sugar and yeast. Let ferment out and then maybe add lactose to sweeten this up and then prime and bottle as normal?

Your thoughts on this topic would be appreciated.

I just looked into that, the 2oz bottle is good for 4 gallons. I don't think it would be outrageously expensive.

Sprecher just started releasing, in very small quantities, their 5% abv bourbon barrel aged hard root beers.

Let me tell you, its one of the most interesting $5 4 packs I've ever had and could easily take over any "hard lemonade/ice tea" market that currently exists in Milwaukee when they get to a larger release.

Sprecher just started releasing, in very small quantities, their 5% abv bourbon barrel aged hard root beers.

Let me tell you, its one of the most interesting $5 4 packs I've ever had and could easily take over any "hard lemonade/ice tea" market that currently exists in Milwaukee when they get to a larger release.

That's one I've got to try, they sold out so quick I didn't get a chance. Hope to get some on there next run.

I was making Rootbeer for my kids and then immediately afterwards I made a batch of Sweet Stout. Even though all of the equipment was cleaned between batches my sweet stout still had a very distinct root beer flavor. Initially it was too strong but after about another month of aging it was very good. Need to make more mistakes.

a friend of mine has a sassafrass tree on his farm and we boiled and mashed with the root bark and then added in some of my cousin's molasses from his farm to make "molassafrass" brown ale. It worked great! Just don't go overboard on the sassafrass.

I made a standard rootbeer recipe added ale yeast and carbonated as usual. After a few weeks of it sitting it fermented a bit more and was real good. Id think it was around 3-4 ABV.

I've had this stuff as well. Very potent stuff. 2 glaases and you're feeling gooooooood!!! I've searched for recipes also but everything just comes up for normal root beer recipes. All my buddies swear that you can't taste the alcohol, but I drink a lot of a&w so I'm pretty accustomed to the normal taste of root beer and I can taste the alcohol for sure. The bartenders at the place I was having it at said it was 10%abv but online it says 5%. From the taste of it id say its a lot higher than 5 but I'm not really sure.

I just recently brewed a Porter. At bottling time I added 1oz. of Root Beer extract to the priming sugar and bottled half of the beer. To the other half, I added a stick of unsweetened hard black licorice to the priming sugar and bottled the other half. These beers carbonated for one month. They are both great. The aroma of the Root Beer beer is heavenly. The Root Beer extract just gives the Porter a slight Root Beer Flavor. Very nice. The licorice stick makes for a significant licorice flavor, which I like. It also gives a smooth mouthfeel which I also like. I'm very happy with both these beers. I like to experiment with flavors, and it makes me happy when they turn out good. Give 'em a try.

NRS

Second attempt at the root beer.
I made a small batch( about a gallon) and it didn't turn out so well. I just dumped it and started all over. I think my mistake was not fermenting out my base first and then adding the root beer extract - I am using just under a gallon of water, 2lbs of sugar and pitched a champagne yeast.(similar recipe to what I use when I distill)

Latest posts

Back