Room Temp and Above Yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBabiesBeer

Reaction score
I've had quite a bit of luck with Saison yeasts and White Labs' East Coast Ale (WLP 008 iirc) with closet temps (70-77, roughly) since the spring. Keep in mind yeast activity can and has driven ferment temps to 80, possibly above.

I've heard Mangrove Jacks thrown around for higher temp ferment, but I'm curious if other folks have experience with other specific yeast strains that perform well with minimal off-flavors in the 70-80 range. I recently made an ESB with a bit of rye, and while tasty, has a bit of a funky nose and spotty head retention, (like small clusters or clouds) great lacing and head overall.

What 70+ F yeast strains do you recommend? Looking for some guidance until I have more space and temp control options.

I've used Omega's Gulo several times. Generally pretty neutral, but I'm using it in IPAs so the hops may mask a lot. It finishes pretty dry as well, but likes warmer temperature, up to the mid-70s. Kveik strains, like others have said, do really well on the warm side. I like Belgian strains, but they are not neutral and especially not at the mid to high 70s.

Thanks for the feedback. I've got some research to do.

I was looking up kveik earlier - I'm not in a position to make slurries and starters yet, but I did see Omega offered a few options that look pitch- ready.

Thanks for the feedback. I've got some research to do.

I was looking up kveik earlier - I'm not in a position to make slurries and starters yet, but I did see Omega offered a few options that look pitch- ready.
FYI it's ok to pitch WLP644 straight from the package if it's within 3 months from mfg.

Also FYI I see a lot of negative reports about Hornindal kveik at "low" temps, under 85°F.

FYI it's ok to pitch WLP644 straight from the package if it's within 3 months from mfg.
Also FYI I see a lot of negative reports about Hornindal kveik at "low" temps, under 85°F.
Ya, I've even pitched 3-month old starters stored at room-temp, still worked fine. It's pretty much how I treat sach trois now. Pitch most of the starter, add some 1.040ish wort to the starter jug, and repeat months later when I do another IPA/PA :D

Ya, I've even pitched 3-month old starters stored at room-temp, still worked fine. It's pretty much how I treat sach trois now. Pitch most of the starter, add some 1.040ish wort to the starter jug, and repeat months later when I do another IPA/PA :D
When you make starters for your yeast, this wort you make is pretty small batch, extract only is best? I think I can set aside room in my fridge for keeping it stored once I've reached ideal yeast health.

When you make starters for your yeast, this wort you make is pretty small batch, extract only is best? I think I can set aside room in my fridge for keeping it stored once I've reached ideal yeast health.

I think the way I do starters is pretty simple. Get a half gallon of water, 1/2 lb light DME, and 1/4 tsp yeast nutrient. Bring to boil to dissolve DME (<5 min), and cool. I put my starter in a 1 gallon glass jug. Pitch yeast, cover loosely with sanitzed foil. I don't have a stir plate so I just swirl it every time I walk past it.

If I started 3 days before I brew, I'll put it in the fridge for 24 hours prior to brewing, decant most of the liquid, let it warm up and pitch. If I started too late, I won't cold crash it and just pitch the whole thing.

I think the way I do starters is pretty simple. Get a half gallon of water, 1/2 lb light DME, and 1/4 tsp yeast nutrient. Bring to boil to dissolve DME (<5 min), and cool. I put my starter in a 1 gallon glass jug. Pitch yeast, cover loosely with sanitzed foil. I don't have a stir plate so I just swirl it every time I walk past it.

If I started 3 days before I brew, I'll put it in the fridge for 24 hours prior to brewing, decant most of the liquid, let it warm up and pitch. If I started too late, I won't cold crash it and just pitch the whole thing.
Thanks! Would I be able to use half of the starter and save the other half for another batch?

Thanks! Would I be able to use half of the starter and save the other half for another batch?

I would say that depends. It depends on how old the original yeast was and what the OG of the beer you're pitching into is. I think to be on the safe side, I'd save maybe 1/4 of it and use that to make another starter. I don't have the room or brew enough to save yeast so I just pitch the whole thing.

Back