Room temp 569F? My controller says Yes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whovous

Waterloo Sunset
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just plugged in my controller to my electric system for the first time in a month or two. With the temp probe connected, it says room temp is 569F. It goes up with the probe in hot water and down in ice water, but I do not see any useful patterns.

It is an Auberin PID, as modified by BrauSupply. I am sure I will get great customer service from Steven, but if someone has some advice on resetting this sort of device, I'd appreciate it.

I left the controller plugged in for quite a while, and returned to find the temp down to 118. I held the probe for a while and it went close to 200, where it stayed, last time I looked.

Is there some sort of reset option with these devices?

Nope. But if I move the probe from 70F air to 35F water, the displayed temp drops by about 35 degrees. I increasingly suspect the controller rather than the probe. This AM, simply tilting the controller box caused a 100F temp swing. Also, the numbers sometimes change at random. Usually in the 400s and 500s, but I saw 118 last night for a time.

Gonna try brewing manually instead.

Nope. But if I move the probe from 70F air to 35F water, the displayed temp drops by about 35 degrees. I increasingly suspect the controller rather than the probe. This AM, simply tilting the controller box caused a 100F temp swing. Also, the numbers sometimes change at random. Usually in the 400s and 500s, but I saw 118 last night for a time.

Gonna try brewing manually instead.

Maybe a loose connection somewhere. The fact that the temp changes as you move things around strongly indicates this.

That seemed very logical, so I tried fiddling with connections and moving the connection cable. Nothing happened. Tried tilting the box like before, but this time nothing happened. Aside from the screen temps always being wrong, there is not much consistency in my results. Current temp reading is 125.3, FWIW

When I look at Sn, it says Pt.

Well which is it? Tin or Platinum?

On a more serious note the higher the resistance of the loop the higher the temperature reads. Dirty connections do this to me frequently with RTD's. I have them connected to the controllers with plugs and after a few sessions of wort splashing over those I often get unreasonably high readings. If you have plugs, plug and un-plug them a half dozen times. If you have wires and terminals, loosen and re- tighten. Scrape the pins with a pen knife (if you can get to them). Redo the crimps. It that doesn't work check the resistance of the RTD. It should be about 100 Ω.

Have you told your PID what kind of probe you're using. I had the same issue until i set Sn = 21. I think that is the right setting for your probes and PID but double check to make sure.

Wouldn't the resistance change based on what the actual temp of the probe is?
Yes, of course. That's how they work and why it said 'about 100Ω'. The change is actually quite small. A Pt100 RTD should measure about 100 Ω at 0 °C and about 108 Ω at room temperature and about 138.5 Ω at boiling.

Yes, I have told the PID what kind of probe I am using, and it has worked for prior brews.

The vendor is sending a tested replacement probe which I expect will solve the problem.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Back