Rookie Minimash Steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

json2001

Reaction score
I have used the mini-mash method for the last 3 batches of beer - 2 batches are sitting in bottles and the first turned out pretty well. I really like to make notes on try on previous batches - figure out what went well, what went right, where can I improve/streamline the process.

A lingering question from my previous minimash experiences:

Steeping the grains at 155 Degrees: I heat my water up to 160, then drop my grain bag in and try to monitor/regulate the heat to keep it at 155. But I have found that different areas (bottom/top) in the water read different temps - sometimes as much as 10-15 degrees.

Am I fussing with it too much? Anyone have any pro-tips on how to make this process a little less finicky for me? I have thought about setting the oven to 155 and just using that to regulate the temp more evenly...crazy?

Thats what I do. Set the over to 156 and leave it for an hour. Prior to doing that I took the pot off the stove, wrapped the top in foil and took a few blankets and wrapped them around it. I only lost about 5 degrees over an hour doing that.

When you take it off the heat give it a easy soft stir to mix everything up a bit. then take the temp. You might need to add some hot water to get the temp right but then you should be ok.

Thats what I do. Set the over to 156 and leave it for an hour. Prior to doing that I took the pot off the stove, wrapped the top in foil and took a few blankets and wrapped them around it. I only lost about 5 degrees over an hour doing that.

When you take it off the heat give it a easy soft stir to mix everything up a bit. then take the temp. You might need to add some hot water to get the temp right but then you should be ok.

Oh wow - so you don't even leave it on a burner while you steep? Just heat it up to a target temp, insulate the pot, cover it up and let the grains steep for an hour? or do you leave the pot in the oven you set for 157?

A small cooler works really well, too. A lot of people do all grain batches with 'cubes' or 5-10 gallon beverage coolers.

If the temperature varies so much in the pot, how much are you stirring it up? I can see a variation of a degree or two, but not 10 degrees in the same pot.

Stir it well, to saturate all of the grain thoroughly, and stir to equalize the temperature. I've done in in the pot just fine, and I've also done it in my bottling bucket. I lined the bucket with a big grain bag and then wrapped it with a sleeping bag to help hold the temperature- it lost about 5-6 degrees in an hour.

The oven would work too, as long as you were careful not to let your mash get over 160 degrees.

Put the mash into the oven that has been heated to 170 or the minimum. That will keep everything perfect for the hour. Works great for me! Oven will cool off but it keeps the pot perfect!

I use a 2 gallon drink cooler ($10) with a spigot at the bottom for mini-mashing. If I preheat it with hot water for 5-10 minutes before I start mashing in it, it will hold the proper mashing temperature for the 45-60 minutes needed to complete conversion. It will handle up to 5 lbs or so of grains, and I found a grain bag that fits it perfectly. Once you find the correct strike water temperature for your set-up and grain amounts, it's very quick and easy to perform the mash this way.

The most temperature measurement IMO is with the thermometer stuck in the grain bed at the bottom, as this is where most of your enzymatic action is taking place. You've moved up from steeping to mashing, and proper temperature for conversion is very important, because a significant portion of your fermentables need to come from your mini-mash. I usually shoot for 152-153*.

Would one of those $18 5 gallon Igloo water coolers from wally world work for mini-mashing? I have been thinking of picking one of those up and trying it.

If the temperature varies so much in the pot, how much are you stirring it up? I can see a variation of a degree or two, but not 10 degrees in the same pot.

Stir it well, to saturate all of the grain thoroughly, and stir to equalize the temperature. I've done in in the pot just fine, and I've also done it in my bottling bucket. I lined the bucket with a big grain bag and then wrapped it with a sleeping bag to help hold the temperature- it lost about 5-6 degrees in an hour.

The oven would work too, as long as you were careful not to let your mash get over 160 degrees.

OOOOHHHH I'm supposed to be stirring this guy up?! I've been taking the "don't sqeeze the bag" all wrong then. So I should be stirring the grains inside my grain bag while i do this?
I use a 2 gallon drink cooler ($10) with a spigot at the bottom for mini-mashing. If I preheat it with hot water for 5-10 minutes before I start mashing in it, it will hold the proper mashing temperature for the 45-60 minutes needed to complete conversion. It will handle up to 5 lbs or so of grains, and I found a grain bag that fits it perfectly. Once you find the correct strike water temperature for your set-up and grain amounts, it's very quick and easy to perform the mash this way.

The most temperature measurement IMO is with the thermometer stuck in the grain bed at the bottom, as this is where most of your enzymatic action is taking place. You've moved up from steeping to mashing, and proper temperature for conversion is very important, because a significant portion of your fermentables need to come from your mini-mash. I usually shoot for 152-153*.
Great info - I'm learning so much from these boards! So you just plop it in the cooler and forget about it for 45-60 mins? Also, I've heard people talking about "until conversion is complete"...is there any way to tell?

Put the mash into the oven that has been heated to 170 or the minimum. That will keep everything perfect for the hour. Works great for me! Oven will cool off but it keeps the pot perfect!

I think this is what I'm going to try. I just heat my brewkettle up in there with the water. Toss my grain bag in there and turn the oven off and let it just stay in the warm oven for the hour required?

Thanks so much for the advice guys...just ordered my next minimash kit, so I'll be ready for it when it comes on friday!

Honestly, I'd say get a 5 gallon cooler and go all grain. It seems like a lot to take on but once you've done it you'll kick your self for not having done it sooner.

OOOOHHHH I'm supposed to be stirring this guy up?! I've been taking the "don't sqeeze the bag" all wrong then. So I should be stirring the grains inside my grain bag while i do this?

Great info - I'm learning so much from these boards! So you just plop it in the cooler and forget about it for 45-60 mins? Also, I've heard people talking about "until conversion is complete"...is there any way to tell?

I think this is what I'm going to try. I just heat my brewkettle up in there with the water. Toss my grain bag in there and turn the oven off and let it just stay in the warm oven for the hour required?

Thanks so much for the advice guys...just ordered my next minimash kit, so I'll be ready for it when it comes on friday!

Yes, you should stir the mash thoroughly. You need to wet the grains in order to get any conversion out of them. I stir like crazy when I mash it- to make sure every bit of grain is saturated. It also helps equalize the temps.

You put it in the cooler (after stirring) and forget about it. Some people stir it half way through and check the temperature, but after a while of knowing your equipment, you won't need to. You can definitely check for conversion- you take a few drops of wort and make sure you don't have any grain in it. I use a little white saucer. Then, add some Iodophor (or plain iodine). If it turns black, there is starch still present. If not, you're converted.

You can definitely use the oven, just stir the grain well and saturate it, and then make sure the temperature doesn't get above 160. If the mash gets above 160, you won't get conversion. I'd maybe turn the oven to warm, and then turn it off, just so it doesn't heat up the mash.

Mini-mashing makes great beer, so don't give up!

Yes, you should stir the mash thoroughly. You need to wet the grains in order to get any conversion out of them. I stir like crazy when I mash it- to make sure every bit of grain is saturated. It also helps equalize the temps.

You put it in the cooler (after stirring) and forget about it. Some people stir it half way through and check the temperature, but after a while of knowing your equipment, you won't need to. You can definitely check for conversion- you take a few drops of wort and make sure you don't have any grain in it. I use a little white saucer. Then, add some Iodophor (or plain iodine). If it turns black, there is starch still present. If not, you're converted.

You can definitely use the oven, just stir the grain well and saturate it, and then make sure the temperature doesn't get above 160. If the mash gets above 160, you won't get conversion. I'd maybe turn the oven to warm, and then turn it off, just so it doesn't heat up the mash.

Mini-mashing makes great beer, so don't give up!

Great! Thanks Yooper!

I can guarantee that I won't be giving up any time soon! All grain is in my future - just gonna get mini's down pat first. I'm just loving this hobby.

Can't wait to get this mini-mash and make these improvements! Sounds a bit like making rice honestly - get it to temp, add your ingredients, give it one good stir and maintain. Think I'll probably try the oven technique this go round just because I don't have a cooler yet - but it sounds like I'll need one anyway when i start to get into all grain? So maybe its a good pickup?

One tangential question - as far as sparging goes. I have been using a ladle to spoon my sparge water over my grain bag. I was reading a guide to partial mashes that suggests dipping the grain bag in the sparge water like a tea bag instead...that seems easier -is this a commonly accepted technique?

deathbrewer has put together a really nice procedure step by step with pictures for partial mash brewing. I'll be doing my first partial mash in the next few days after i bottle my very first brew.

Easy Partial Mash Brewing (with pics)

Yeah thats actually the guide I was reading. Really great guide. The folks at my LHBS told me the ladel technique, but the dipping into the sparge water as outlined in that guide seems much easier! I was just wondering if one method is preferable to the other.

Yeah thats actually the guide I was reading. Really great guide. The folks at my LHBS told me the ladel technique, but the dipping into the sparge water as outlined in that guide seems much easier! I was just wondering if one method is preferable to the other.

The ladle is more like a fly sparge, and the dunking more like a batch sparge. Neither is wrong. Just a bit different, based on what you learn and like. I like Deathbrewer's approach though.

Back