Rogue Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle83

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing a clone of their chocolate stout in a couple weeks. I see where AHS has a clone, but I don't trust it since they don't list ingredients. I found a recipe on here from a magazine, that looks good. It calls for Chocolate extract. I usually order from AHS (good prices and they sell 8 oz), but I don't see where they have any chocolate extract.

Any suggestions? I see where some use Hershey's chocolate baking powder. Will this be the same?

I'm planning on brewing a clone of their chocolate stout in a couple weeks. I see where AHS has a clone, but I don't trust it since they don't list ingredients. I found a recipe on here from a magazine, that looks good. It calls for Chocolate extract. I usually order from AHS (good prices and they sell 8 oz), but I don't see where they have any chocolate extract.

Any suggestions? I see where some use Hershey's chocolate baking powder. Will this be the same?

Just a heads up. I have an empty of this at home and am almost 100% sure the ingredients are listed on the bottle. (If no one else beats me to it, I will post up the ingredients list when I get home.) Also, Rogue uses their own yeast strain, I believe and it is commonly called pacman and can be harvested. I think others have/do this here. (I guess it depends how much you want an exact clone.)

I had this a few days ago and really enjoyed it so I am interested to hear how close the clone you make ends up. Would you mind posting up the recipe you use and how close it comes after you brew it? Thanks! :tank:

Rogue chocolate stout is shakespeare stout + chocolate extract. The brewing network's can you brew it covered shakespeare stout several months ago and the recipe was considered to be very good (I think after a small tweak) so I would start there.

Per John Maier if you want to clone this beer use nielsen massey chocolate extract. I buy it at dean and deluca. 2 ounces per 5 gallons seem right to me but some say closer to 1.5.

Just a heads up. I have an empty of this at home and am almost 100% sure the ingredients are listed on the bottle. (If no one else beats me to it, I will post up the ingredients list when I get home.) Also, Rogue uses their own yeast strain, I believe and it is commonly called pacman and can be harvested. I think others have/do this here. (I guess it depends how much you want an exact clone.)

I had this a few days ago and really enjoyed it so I am interested to hear how close the clone you make ends up. Would you mind posting up the recipe you use and how close it comes after you brew it? Thanks! :tank:

I'd be glad to let you know anything about it. Send me a PM if it slips my mind b/w now and then. This is what I was going to go off of. I'm just concerned with the chocolate. From another thread...
"issue of Zymurgy...

5 U.S. gallons (19 liters)
O.G. 1.060 (15 P)
IBU: 69

11.0 lb. Great Western 2-row pale malt
.5 lb. 120L Crystal Malt
.5 lb. Chocolate Malt
.5 lb. Rolled Oats
3.0 oz. Roast Barley
1.5 oz. Chocolate extract (in secondary)
1.0 oz. Cascade pellet hops, 5% a.a. (90 mins)
1.0 oz. Cascade pellet hops, 5% a.a. (30 mins)
1.0 oz. Cascade pellet hops, 5% a.a. (knockout)
1.0 tsp. Irish moss (20 mins)

Wyeast 1764 Pacman Ale Yeast (If available) or White Labs WLP001 California Ale or Wyeast 1056 American Ale.

Mash at 150*F for 60 mins. Sparge at 175*F to collect 6.5 gallons of pre-boiled wort. Boil 90 minutes. Coll to 60*F and pitch yeast. Ferment at 60*F for one week. Siphon into secondary at 50-55*F onto chocolate extract and hold until fermentation is complete, then package and condition."

Per John Maier if you want to clone this beer use nielsen massey chocolate extract. I buy it at dean and deluca. 2 ounces per 5 gallons seem right to me but some say closer to 1.5.

I have no idea what dean and deluca is. We have one of those hippie grocery stores in Jackson called rainbow grocery. Maybe they would have it there? I'll have to check.

Back