Roggenwine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noleafclover

Reaction score
Several weeks ago I decided that I needed to brew roggenbeir. I had had one at a local pub and loved it, and our local brewclub is doing catagory 15 for our contest at the end of October.

On the same day I decided to brew this I was also messing around with a different boil kettle and I also made some adjustments to my sparging setup.

In any case, during the sparge I thought perhaps I had put in way too much water for my sparge and arbitrarily decided that I had collected the right volume of wort. (I learned an important lesson here, obviously).

When I tossed in my wort chiller, I was in for a shock... The wort only when up 3/4 of the way on the chiller where it used to cover it.

In the end I collected 2.5 gallons of wort. The gravity of said wort was 1.085, WAY higher than it should be.

I figured "This should be interesting" and pitched the yeast.

Several weeks later I tasted it, and it reminds me of a rye barleywine. A little bit of that hot alcohol taste, definitely some estery notes, and an interesting rye flavor. I'm thinking of intentionally doing this, but adjusting the recipe for 5 gallons, and then oak aging it. Also adding some more hops for balance, maybe some northern brewer.

My recipe was this (for 2.5 gallons):
5 lbs. Weyermann Rye Malt
4 lbs. German Munich
2 lbs. Rahr 2-Row Pale
0.25 lbs. Weyermann Chocolate Wheat
0.25 lbs. Weyermann Caramel Wheat
0.25 lbs. Rice Hulls
1 oz Mt. Hood (60 minutes)
Wyeast #3638 Bavarian Wheat Yeast.

Not sure exactly what style that would fit in if it were oak aged and had a little bit more hops to it, but it was pretty tasty.

Quick follow up too... I always make starters when using liquid yeast. I had prepared a 1 quart starter for this one. It was probably not enough for the gravity but wasn't too far off target. Proper yeast handling with this recipe might help out the flavor a little too.

I have been wanting to do a ryewine for a while now. I was thinking about using the recipe from BYO, and just subbing the rye for the wheat. If anyone has any other suggestions on how to improve this, let em rip!

Here's the recipe I was planning on adapting
http://***********/stories/beer-styles/article/indices/11-beer-styles/646-fine-wheatwine

Latest posts

Back