Robobrew/Brewzilla Discussion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of people use a credit card to set their mill, so I finally web searched credit card thickness - typical is 0.030”.

Pre "chip" credit cards were nominally 0.030" thick, but the newer credit cards with chips embedded in them are a tad thicker, and right close to a nominal 0.032". I've gauge measured a number of each types.

Tell me more about the glucanse, it’s been mentioned on this thread a couple times. It’s not widely available in the states, at least in brewers form (there’s a lot of dietary supplement products). You mention 3ml, implying liquid form. The only brew-centric product in the states I can find is Cellar Science Glucabuster which is dry.

Hi
Here's the info sheet and manufacturer for the glucanase.

https://www.murphyandson.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/GLUCANASE.pdf
Contact them to find out on US availability. I get mine in 100ml bottle from HBmalt station but that's in New Zealand.

I haven't used my bag of oat hulls since starting to use this stuff. I expect that it is available in the US

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/united-states/product-details/abv-glucanase-premier-gpr511/
might be some detective work, perhaps find a brewery that uses it and then see if they will sell you some on from their supply?

Hi
Here's the info sheet and manufacturer for the glucanase.

https://www.murphyandson.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/GLUCANASE.pdf
Contact them to find out on US availability. I get mine in 100ml bottle from HBmalt station but that's in New Zealand.

I haven't used my bag of oat hulls since starting to use this stuff. I expect that it is available in the US

https://www.lallemandbrewing.com/en/united-states/product-details/abv-glucanase-premier-gpr511/
might be some detective work, perhaps find a brewery that uses it and then see if they will sell you some on from their supply?
I found this product from MoreBeer in the US: Cellar Science Glucabuster. My LHBS doesnt carry it but offered to order for me. I’ll get a few ounces and see what it does. Thanks for the tip!

1617675556996.png

Have checked it out on the morebeer site and read the technical sheet. Looks to have another couple of enzymes as well.

Dose is not a lot for that stuff and it's cheap for a 1oz bottle lasting at least a year in the fridge, says 1.25 ml per 5 gallon ferment so about 20 + brews use per 1 oz bottle. It's cheap ! About the same price as 1.75 lb of rice hulls.
Not sure thought that you'd get 20 + mashes out of 1.75 lb of rice hulls.

I'd like to hear your experience with the glucabuster and those extra enzymes. I chuck the enzyme in with the salts and then dough in and ramp up the temp using the David Heath balanced mash of 62 then 67 degrees.

Have checked it out on the morebeer site and read the technical sheet. Looks to have another couple of enzymes as well.

Dose is not a lot for that stuff and it's cheap for a 1oz bottle lasting at least a year in the fridge, says 1.25 ml per 5 gallon ferment so about 20 + brews use per 1 oz bottle. It's cheap ! About the same price as 1.75 lb of rice hulls.
Not sure thought that you'd get 20 + mashes out of 1.75 lb of rice hulls.

I'd like to hear your experience with the glucabuster and those extra enzymes. I chuck the enzyme in with the salts and then dough in and ramp up the temp using the David Heath balanced mash of 62 then 67 degrees.
I’ll let you know...

I just pulled the trigger on a new 110v 35L Brewzilla w/pump about an hour ago on ebay, got a good price of $379 so I made it happen. I wanted the Anvil but they are impossible to find and $100 more so I am perfectly fine with this unit especially when most of my grain bills are 10-12lbs, I think it will work out just fine in 9.25 gallons. I am currently using a 15 gallon kettle and doing full volume biab in my garage I am hoping to bring this into my basement and be able to fire it up and not worry about having propane on hand and use it while I do other things around the house. I am very curious to start playing around with the unit, I think I am going to start off with a wheat beer just to see how she does because as of now I have 0 issues with stuck mashes unless I am dealing with pumpkin and it is my only concern with the unit so I figure I may as well approach it right away. I should get my unit Thursday I will clean it and give it a test boil that night and Saturday I will put it into action with a strawberry wheat recipe that I have been making for years.

Any feedback on the whirlpool arm, sight glass, or neoprene jacket?

I just pulled the trigger on a new 110v 35L Brewzilla w/pump about an hour ago on ebay, got a good price of $379 so I made it happen. I wanted the Anvil but they are impossible to find and $100 more so I am perfectly fine with this unit especially when most of my grain bills are 10-12lbs, I think it will work out just fine in 9.25 gallons. I am currently using a 15 gallon kettle and doing full volume biab in my garage I am hoping to bring this into my basement and be able to fire it up and not worry about having propane on hand and use it while I do other things around the house. I am very curious to start playing around with the unit, I think I am going to start off with a wheat beer just to see how she does because as of now I have 0 issues with stuck mashes unless I am dealing with pumpkin and it is my only concern with the unit so I figure I may as well approach it right away. I should get my unit Thursday I will clean it and give it a test boil that night and Saturday I will put it into action with a strawberry wheat recipe that I have been making for years.

Any feedback on the whirlpool arm, sight glass, or neoprene jacket?
I’m pleased with my Robobrew, for sure it handles smaller grain bills quite well! I brew in my basement which is unfinished and don’t have ventilation - no issues after three years. For sure get the neoprene jacket, it helps to stabilize mash temp.

I made a jacket out of high density sponge sleeping mat and a couple of aerolasts. Wipes down easy and take on and off.

Save up for a condenser, makes a world of difference ( make one ) saves energy and a lot of condensation, smells etc. Also reduces your boil loss.

I have been contemplating on taking the plunge on a 65l brewzilla. I brew5 gallon batches and want the option of doing 10. I know the brewzilla with check that box, I however have thought about distilling as well and I know they make a still lid for it. My question is has anyone used theirs as a still? How were your results? I thought I could buy one system and use it for both

If you can get a Guten ( that's 70 litre ) comes with a stainless steel lid and you can control the element from 100w to 3000w in 100w increments. Might be better for distilling control. I've found the step up to the bigger kit much better especially for 30 litre ferments, as no danger of boil over and the whole unit is solid. Copes with 10 gallons no problem at all.
I haven't tried distilling yet but it is suitable for it.

Successfully brewed a big beer in the BrewZilla 35L yesterday. It was an Imperial Stout all grain kit from MoreBeer with an 18 plus pound grain bill! I plugged the overflow tube hole with a half inch bolt and duct taped over the malt tube handle holes. Started with 6.75 gallons of strike water @ 161F. Even though the grain was at room temperature the mash temp dropped to 146F and took a good fifteen minutes of recirculation to achieve my target temp of 153. with the 1000 W set at 158. Next time I'm going to try about 168 degree strike water. I had thrown in a couple large handfuls of rice hulls (first time ever) and was impressed that I could recirculate constantly at about 1/2 maximum volume and maintain a level about 1/4" from the top. Every fifteen minutes I stopped the recirculation and let it drain down to an inch from overflow and stirred the top 3/4 of the mash. Photo was taken right before lifting the tube to sparge. Really worked out well with an OG of 1.087 and 6 gallons of wort in the fermenter after a 90 minute boil.

IMG_2013.jpegIMG_2009.jpegFermentation went crazy and blew the airlock out. Big beer, big mess!

Well done with that, brewhouse efficiency?
The yeast certainly likes the food, assuming not a " boil over " from the heating mat!!

I think that the mash efficiency was 78 %. The mat was not on because it was set at 68 F. The fermentation was producing heat on it's own. The ambient temperature in my basement was 61, but the fermenting wort was 72.9 when I found it like that at about 14 hours after pitching the yeast.

I started homebrewing beer in 1979 using malt extract, then came malt extract with a "tea bag" grain to steep and add the "tea" to the wort. It was good beer. I did not like the price hike for beer so I started to make my own.

Then I got busy I bought the compay I worked for, we had kids to rasie and a mortage to pay so no brewing for awhile..

When I retired I thought I would start brewing beer again. So I got a kettles a mash tun and had at it. Then my neighbor told me about Robobrew and Grain father. I bought Robobrew Brewzilla. There was a learning curve. Like don't unplug with pump while running then take of the pump arm off, fix what ever it was that went wrong and plug kettle back in without putting pump arm back on, then mopping kitchen floor like a mad man before wife returns home.

I think have made 4 very nice beers on my Brewzilla so far. I think I'll keep it.

I started homebrewing beer in 1979 using malt extract, then came malt extract with a "tea bag" grain to steep and add the "tea" to the wort. It was good beer. I did not like the price hike for beer so I started to make my own.

Then I got busy I bought the compay I worked for, we had kids to rasie and a mortage to pay so no brewing for awhile..

When I retired I thought I would start brewing beer again. So I got a kettles a mash tun and had at it. Then my neighbor told me about Robobrew and Grain father. I bought Robobrew Brewzilla. There was a learning curve. Like don't unplug with pump while running then take of the pump arm off, fix what ever it was that went wrong and plug kettle back in without putting pump arm back on, then mopping kitchen floor like a mad man before wife returns home.

I think have made 4 very nice beers on my Brewzilla so far. I think I'll keep it.
I’m over 50 batches on my Robobrew and am pleased with the results. Agree, there’s a learning curve to get to know the equipment and for me, refining my brewing skills. There’s lots of good discussion on this thread, so stay with us! Congrats on retirement, I found my freedom a few years ago :)

Yes similar years ago malt extract then partial mash and then stopped.

Then saw the grainfather and the price and thought I'd wait a bit longer, emigrated to NZ and grainfather cheaper and then Robobrew came along. Pretty quickly making " real beer " that impressed me and freinds. Not reached the stage of a regular stock brew yet as always changing something.
Now using a Guten 70 litre and find it has all the robobrew advantages but the bigger capacity gives me options.

…and what’s you’re first brew?

An IPA with mosaic and dry hopped citra will be the inaugural run most likely

I am pretty excited to brew on it

I plan on using my hop spider so I don’t clog up the pump not that I am throwing a ton of hops at this but I am using 6 ounces in the boil

I have a good stainless wort chiller I plan on using not what they sent

An IPA with mosaic and dry hopped citra will be the inaugural run most likely

I am pretty excited to brew on it

I plan on using my hop spider so I don’t clog up the pump not that I am throwing a ton of hops at this but I am using 6 ounces in the boil

I have a good stainless wort chiller I plan on using not what they sent
I use the hop spider during the boil and recently started putting whirlpool hops in muslin bags.

Just over 50 batches in my 35L robo. Would love a 65L, which may happen in the future, just for double batches. I think I’d keep the 35 though.

Yes similar years ago malt extract then partial mash and then stopped.

Then saw the grainfather and the price and thought I'd wait a bit longer, emigrated to NZ and grainfather cheaper and then Robobrew came along. Pretty quickly making " real beer " that impressed me and freinds. Not reached the stage of a regular stock brew yet as always changing something.
Now using a Guten 70 litre and find it has all the robobrew advantages but the bigger capacity gives me options.
North or South Island ? How is it there with all us drunken Aussie’s coming over to holiday now the bubble is in place?!

Do you find the guten comparable to the robo? Would love to be able to do double batches. If I topped up with water I’m sure I could in my 35 but it’d be pushing it.

North or South Island ? How is it there with all us drunken Aussie’s coming over to holiday now the bubble is in place?!

Do you find the guten comparable to the robo? Would love to be able to do double batches. If I topped up with water I’m sure I could in my 35 but it’d be pushing it.
North Island Just outside Wellington. I have found the guten great, was always brimming the Robobrew 35 to try and get near to 30 litres in the Fermentasaurus. Was stressful ( no boilovers though ) and did do a few reiterated mashes for high gravity brews.
The guten 70litre has just destressed brewday so much, good control on the mash, can wander away and do other stuff and just pop back when the timer goes off. Rarely do it full but I like the 100w increments on the controller, no bottom screen but I have made a trup trapper that works really well and have also made a condenser that has made indoor brewing a lot less foggy and has saved a lot of energy.
Think I'm nearly reaching the stage of not having a brewday that's " experimental " with a new piece of kit.
I did invest in Coolossus and have modified the out tap so that I can chill thru the coolossus and the back in via the tap and whirlpool.

I'd like to see some drunken brits ( the kids ) but there seems to be no sign they'll get over here from the UK in the near future. Last overseas was a planned trip to the Aus grand prix but we pulled the plug on that on the Sunday and then they cancelled on the thursday anyway.
Not sure what's Aussies would flock to over here? You've got sheep at home to chase !!

When I first looked at this thought you were triumphing the jacket, but realise more kit than that. Happy brew, the brewzilla has a bottom hop screen like the robobrew ?

Yea it has the dual screen set up

I have read many leave it out they feel the flow rate is better

North Island Just outside Wellington. I have found the guten great, was always brimming the Robobrew 35 to try and get near to 30 litres in the Fermentasaurus. Was stressful ( no boilovers though ) and did do a few reiterated mashes for high gravity brews.
The guten 70litre has just destressed brewday so much, good control on the mash, can wander away and do other stuff and just pop back when the timer goes off. Rarely do it full but I like the 100w increments on the controller, no bottom screen but I have made a trup trapper that works really well and have also made a condenser that has made indoor brewing a lot less foggy and has saved a lot of energy.
Think I'm nearly reaching the stage of not having a brewday that's " experimental " with a new piece of kit.
I did invest in Coolossus and have modified the out tap so that I can chill thru the coolossus and the back in via the tap and whirlpool.

I'd like to see some drunken brits ( the kids ) but there seems to be no sign they'll get over here from the UK in the near future. Last overseas was a planned trip to the Aus grand prix but we pulled the plug on that on the Sunday and then they cancelled on the thursday anyway.
Not sure what's Aussies would flock to over here? You've got sheep at home to chase !!

Thanks for the review mate, sounds like a good bit of gear. I need to upgrade my power but that’s no big deal.Maybe tax time !

We can’t really go anywhere else! And to be honest, if we were thinking of overseas, NZ is not only beautiful but it’s close and basically COVID free. We like Bali but it’ll be a few more years before we think about going back.

I just noticed there’s a 50 litre guten. This is perfect, I could easily fill 2 no chill cubes from this. Time to prepare a case for the minister for war and finance

I’ve been using my 35L Brewzilla for about 18 months, brewed about 15 batches with it. I love it, it’s easy to set up and use. I even tried to use it for distilling(DON’T DO THAT)!! Clean up can take time but it’s not any worse than cleaning up from any brewing process. Good luck and hope you love it!!

I just finished my yard work and am getting ready to make some lunch and take a shower and then I will break this bad boy in.
I am curious to see how the results vary from my propane biab set up.
I will be painting my master bathroom at the same time because I expect brewing to be that easy with this.

image.jpg

So far I have 0 complaints about this unit it’s holding mash within 3 degrees F and has been super simple to use I am half way through the mash.

Back