Robobrew and Anvil Foundry question : Mashing with or without a Grist Bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver_Is_Money

Larry Sayre, Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
Reaction score
For those of you using these systems, do you find any benefit in using a grist bag? What detriments might a bag for mashing bring along with it?

Have a Foundry, I use a bag. It allows me to mill the grain much finer in order to get better efficiency and keep any grain from getting through holes in the malt pipe and into the wort. When I lift the malt pipe, with bag in it, after most of the wort drains out, I can also now fold the top of bag over the grain and with gloves on, push down on the grain to get more wort out of the grain. As for detriment...just one more thing to clean...but it's basically dumping the grain and hosing off the bag, so an extra 2-3 minutes.

I ordered a Wilser bag this morning. Just got done replying to an email from him about making a decision on whether I intend to use in the brew kettle itself, or in the malt pipe. I told him I'll use it in the pipe, as I'd otherwise have to figure out a false bottom, which I have 0 interest in doing.

and I just got a shipment label notification...damn that was quick, less than a hour.

Last edited:
Back