roasting pan for biab

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazarwolf

Reaction score
So, where I live it gets too cold in the winter for our door brewing. Generally, I switch to extract for the winter. But recently I have been wondering about using a large roasting pan in order to biab. It is large enough to fit over two of my burners and holds over 10 gallons of water. Since I brew 2.5 gallon batches when I do biab, I'm almost never boiling more than about 4.5 gallons. I tested 3 gallons and got to a boil in about 30m. I can't see a big problem, and although I'm not a newb, I have just gotten back into all grain. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

As long as you can submerge the grain bag when mashing then you should be able to use it. You will get more boil off with the larger surface area but you can correct for that. Everything on the hot side is pretty forgiving. You can even make beer by taking really hot rocks and dropping them into the wort, so using a roasting pan seems pretty reasonable to me all things considered :D

Could we get a picture of this roasting pan that holds 10 gallons worth of water?

I am honestly interested as I've never heard of or seen one before.

Cheers!

Ah, I see, what you're getting at. It's a granite ware large roasting pan. 14x21x5. I did my math wrong. The total roasting pan is 10 gallons volume. The bottom is about, 5.5 gallons. Not sure if I'm going with it any way, it takes up most of the stove top. Still I may try it.

Ah, I see, what you're getting at. It's a granite ware large roasting pan. 14x21x5. I did my math wrong. The total roasting pan is 10 gallons volume. The bottom is about, 5.5 gallons. Not sure if I'm going with it any way, it takes up most of the stove top. Still I may try it.

Just looked it up online...that could definitely work for you for BIAB.

Here is a link to a thread on the exact question that you asked

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/granite-ware-stock-pot-66911/

Cheers!

Never heard of too quickly...maybe one of the other Brewers here might have some better insight @Yooper @Cycleman @Hello

Back