Roast Rye Malt, ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic - In Remembrance 2023
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
so i picked up some hothead yeast....need to put $10 more the order, figure if they charge me for the shipping in the price mightiest well take advantage? so i ALSO bought (doh) 5 lb of something i don't recall ever seeing before....roast rye malt...

Anybody got an idea what to do with it?

Thanks! :mug:

edit: i'm thinking maybe sorta Black IPA? (or IBA, lol)

Last edited:
so i picked up some hothead yeast....need to put $10 more the order, figure if they charge me for the shipping the price mightiest well take advantage? so i ALSO bought (doh) 5 lb of something i don't recall ever seeing before....roast rye malt...

Anybody got an idea what to do with it?

I brew a rye beer that has 3# of rye malt, 4 oz of flaked rye, along with 9# Maris Otter, 6 oz Choc Wheat (for head retention and a dark color). In your case, I might be inclined to do something with 2# of rye malt and a pound of roast rye malt, then fill out with other stuff.

If you don't have or can't get any regular rye malt, I might try 2# of Roast Rye Malt, then fill out with the rest of the grain bill as your taste suggests.

BTW, with mine I'm using .5 oz of Columbus at 60 minutes, .5 oz of Columbus at 20 minutes, 1 oz of Styrian Celeia at 10 minutes. I use Wyeast 2112 or WLP810 with a starter, ferment at 63 degrees or so.

Use it with the hothead! Traditional Norwegian Ale uses rye (and roasted rye). Might as well add some in.

It’d work in a black ipa, but if you’d want to use citrus/fruity hops to balance out the roast and the spice of the rye.

Use it with the hothead! Traditional Norwegian Ale uses rye (and roasted rye). Might as well add some in.

It’d work in a black ipa, but if you’d want to use citrus/fruity hops to balance out the roast and the spice of the rye.

will do..i was thinking the spice of the rye would balance the hops...(i've always loved rye malt, but they only sell, barley, wheat and oats and the feed store :( )

I'm interested. I would taste it, then consider a test batch replacing some other roast malt. Or just 10% roast rye, 90% base malt, bittering hops only. That's how I got started on rye crystal. I still use that recipe.

Roasted Rye or Chocolate Rye is a great roasted malt. Huskless, so no astringency or pesky ashy/burnt/overly bitter flavours and tastes delicious. Very chocolatey, full, moreish when used at around 8-10%.

Latest posts

Back