Rinsing WLP-007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnthonyCB

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have experience washing WLP-007? The yeast forms these little curd-like clumps in the bottom of the fermenter. When I add boiled water to it and shake the slurry to get the yeast into suspension, most of it remains in clumps. After transferring to a jar, the yeast stays in clumps when I try to re-suspend it by shaking. Should I transfer just the liquid to my storage jars? Should I include some/all of the clumps? Any thoughts?

With other yeasts I've rinsed, there hasn't been much of an issue. I transfer the water slurry mixture to a jar, shake to re-suspend, wait for 20 minutes or so and pour off the liquid on top into my storage jars. I end up with a smooth layer of yeast an inch or so thick on the bottom of the jar after a day in the fridge.

I do a fairly good job of removing hot/cold break as well as hop material before the wort makes it into the fermenter, so I assume most of the material there is from the yeast dead and alive.

Thanks,

Anthony

Latest posts

Back