RIMS system that may not be set up correctly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzland

Reaction score
Hey all

I have built an all-grain RIMS system with the help of a few designs out there and some tri-clamp over the counter parts. The circulation is awesome and the electric heating element (ULW) is second to none. My main issue now is the taste.

When recirculating the wort, I start off with a low water temp, with my grain already in my mash tun, at around 115 to 120 degrees and bring it up to around 145 to 147. This lasts for 60 to 90 minutes depending on the bill.

I transfer the wort over to the boiler and proceed as usual, usually for 60 mins or so. What I get is a very grain heavy liquor and, after fermentation, an almost undrinkable brew. It tastes like I'm chewing on grain.

What is my main issue here? Am I starting the grain at too low of temperature? Do I need to boil longer to diminish the grain taste in the liquor? Do I need to dump my grain into the mash tun at 145 degrees and then recirculate?

Normal bills are 12 to 18 lbs of regular malt for a 6 gallon brew and then added grains as the recipes sees fit. Nothing out of the ordinary.

If anyone can nail something down for me, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks
Tim

You know I havent. I send my water through a pretty large filtering system before I even start but I haven't checked the ph. I'll do that next.
Thanks

Back