RIMS Box (or tube in a box)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krumb

Reaction score
My pops enjoys building things. I presented him with a challenge - build me a RIMS tube for my brewery. He did so and did it well! Unlike other RIMS tubes I've seen out there, he put the tube INSIDE the toolbox.

One batch in, and it worked great. I'll be dialing it in over the next couple of brews to address my efficiency being lower than usual. Also, my mash recirculation tube from Bobby came in late Saturday but is now on the tun.

I wanted to share some pics of the build.

IMG_4820.jpg

IMG_4840.jpg

IMG_4842.jpg

IMG_4843.jpg

IMG_1821.jpg

He fitted it with a fan on side (and two holes in top) to allow a constant flow of air to keep heat at minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I like the idea especially given your young brewing assistant. I'm always worried about the safety factors when my kids want to help me.

My only concern is about cleaning - it seems like most people take there's apart every few batches and have to wipe the element off. Any thoughts about that?

Is that loop from the pump high temp silicone? Almost looks like vinyl, but might just be the picture.

I like the idea especially given your young brewing assistant. I'm always worried about the safety factors when my kids want to help me.

My only concern is about cleaning - it seems like most people take there's apart every few batches and have to wipe the element off. Any thoughts about that?

Yea, my assistant pops into the garage in between Avengers cartoons on Saturdays.

There is a door on the element side of the box which allows access to the element for removal and cleaning.

Is that loop from the pump high temp silicone? Almost looks like vinyl, but might just be the picture.

It is vinyl...but from what I've read, the vinyl tubing is food grade and safe at the temps I'm using it for.

Should I be concerned? And if so, any recommendations on clear tubing that is okay for this use?

I see you are controlling the speed of the pump. What kind is it?

It's a March 815 SS.

The worry about burning the motor due to rheostat - yea, found that out after it had already been included. I've got to add an outflow ball valve to control the speed.

It is vinyl...but from what I've read, the vinyl tubing is food grade and safe at the temps I'm using it for.

Should I be concerned? And if so, any recommendations on clear tubing that is okay for this use?

Just curious. I don't know of any concerns if you are only keeping it at mash temps.

Back