Ridiculously long primary (Apfelwein)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkylerChaBro

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have returned from my long hibernation :mug:

My question is as follows: I had started a half batch (2.5 gal) of Edwort's apfelwein in my better bottle to the order of about one year ago. During this period I got caught up with finishing my degree and other career based objectives, and the apfelwein went unattended.

I'm now finally gearing back up to start a custom batch of Belgian White, and I'm curious if I can save the apfelwein. My main problem is how long it has been sitting dormant on the yeast cake.

Should I spend my energy to bottle the product? Or should I dump and start a new batch at a later date. Remember this is 365 days+ in nothing but a better bottle and my time is sadly limited so lets use it to the maxxx.

Thanks for any advice and it's nice to be back.

Mark K.

You should probably throw it out. But since it is alcohol, many states don't allow straight dumping. Send it to me and I'll take care of the necessary means for proper, and legal, disposal of the product.

Seriously, though, you're fine. What you have on your hands should be a phenomenal batch of Apfelwein. :rockin: Take a sample and taste it...you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I wish I had the patience to age a batch a full year. So far my max has been 6 months.

Thanks for the quick response.

It wasn't really about patience, It was more about forgetting about it then not doing anything about it. I'm out of town currently, but tomorrow I'll give it a sniff to double check. It's just something about letting it sit on that yeast cake for so long put bad ideas in my head.

I'm going to take a look tonight and make my decision. After that it will either be in bottles, or dumped. Then I can use the better bottle for maybe an AHS kit. Thanks for your response Rob.

I just realized I also stashed 3 small test apfelweins using three different yeasts. Same age as the main batch.

Only thing I'd worry about would be the 2.5 of head space. I'm assuming the 2.5G of apfelwein was in a 5G better bottle? I'd pull a sample and taste before going through the trouble of bottling, but I really hate bottling.

Only thing I'd worry about would be the 2.5 of head space.

That is something that crossed my mind as well. For now I moved the better bottle downstairs to where I can rack easily. I'm going to let it sit for a while to help it clear up again, and see exactly where this apfelwein stands.

That is something that crossed my mind as well. For now I moved the better bottle downstairs to where I can rack easily. I'm going to let it sit for a while to help it clear up again, and see exactly where this apfelwein stands.

Since it's still in primary, the headspace should all be C02. I'm thinking it will be just fine.

Your yeast cake should be hard as cement, how cloudy did it get after you moved it?

Quite a bit actually, as I moved it from the 2nd floor to the basement as carefully as I could. By the time I set it down it had clouded up and become nearly opaque. Before this it was extremely clear, but you could see the yeast cake stirring from the start.

The same thing happened to me a few years ago and I read on http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/racking.asp that "It is perfectly okay to leave the wine on the lees for three months. Beyond that and the wine enters a danger zone caused by dead yeast cells breaking down -- rotting. While this can cause off-flavors and odors if allowed to go on too long, the bigger danger is the formation of hydrogen-sulfide gas, which smells like rotten eggs and can be the death of the wine. But if the lees are stirred every week or so, neither the off flavors, off odors nor hydrogen-sulfide gas form. Indeed, the wine is actually improved by extended contact with the lees as long as they are stirred frequently."
After reading this I decided to make some applejack out of it and it turned out great.

The same thing happened to me a few years ago and I read on http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/racking.asp that "It is perfectly okay to leave the wine on the lees for three months. Beyond that and the wine enters a danger zone caused by dead yeast cells breaking down -- rotting. While this can cause off-flavors and odors if allowed to go on too long, the bigger danger is the formation of hydrogen-sulfide gas, which smells like rotten eggs and can be the death of the wine. But if the lees are stirred every week or so, neither the off flavors, off odors nor hydrogen-sulfide gas form. Indeed, the wine is actually improved by extended contact with the lees as long as they are stirred frequently."
After reading this I decided to make some applejack out of it and it turned out great.

Thanks for the information mysterious stranger! Well we shal see as I'm going to bottle at least part of the batch on Monday, if not tomorrow. I'll let it sit and condition for a few weeks before tasting any of it.

On a side note, I wonder if I can still prime a few bottles and carb them. I'll update the thread after bottling.

After a year, you might want to consider adding some yeast to your bottles, along with dextrose. Not saying they still won't carb naturally, but a year's a long time.

I went ahead and bottled the batch up a few days ago. Everything seemed to go smoothly with the only exception being the apfelwein having an oddly pungent alcohol smell to it.

Nothing too serious it seems, so lets see in a few weeks.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Skyler,

Well, how did it turn out....I kept expecting the next post I read to have the big reveal and then....nothing.

Let us know!

Sorry DoctorWho! It has been a while, but yes I did crack a bottle. I can't say it turned out poorly, but there is an off flavor that can be found throughout the entire batch. I can't really put my finger on what it is, but it's not entirely bad by any means. The apfelwein is still drinkable and I do crack a bottle here and there. I'm mostly trying to see how it ages at this point.

Part of the batch was primed before bottling, and it did in fact carb up over time. It took longer than usual, but that was kind of expected. I would probably make this again and of course do it properly.

Back