Rewiring For 120v Pump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMannion87

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently purchased an eBIAB control panel from another member here. It has toggle switches wired for (1) main power, (2) element power and (3) 12v pump power. I'm looking to rewire the pump switch for my 120v Chugger pump. The controller uses an Auber SSR and a SY 2352 for the PID.

Attached to this post are photos of how the wiring is currently done. I know I basically need to cut a three wire extension cord and use the female to plug the pump into, but other than that I'm not positive. I've built a simple controller before and can read a diagram, but my electrical knowledge is (clearly) lacking. A simple wiring diagram or any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_0825.jpg

IMG_0826.jpg

ASSuming the switch on the top right of the photos is the pump switch, and the 120V AC supply enters from the bottom left, then it looks like the 12V power supply is switched on the AC side, with neutral coming from the red wire nut on top of the power supply. Live power to the AC supply comes from the blue wire to the switch (which in turn comes from the white wirenut at the bottom), and then to the power supply.

You should be able to replace the power supply with a 120V outlet, by replacing the power cord for the AC supply with wires to the outlet. Switch to outlet live, red wirenut to outlet neutral, ground to outlet ground.

You should probably upgrade the wire sizes to the switch and outlet to 14 AWG for 15A use (and make sure it's a 15A switch - you can buy 15A toggle switches in a format that should fit from Radioshack if there are any left near you, or online). But you could choose to forgo that if you hard wire the pump or use a non-standard outlet/connector. Or you could be really really really sure to make sure that you only ever plug the Chugger pump in to that outlet, and wing it.

120v panel, 1500 watt element.

In this case all you need to do to convert to a 120V pump is:
  • Disconnect the 12V power supply completely.
  • Connect the 120V hot line (black) from the incoming power to one terminal of the pump switch.
  • Connect the other terminal of the pump switch to the hot side of the pump outlet (new).
  • Connect the neutral wire (white) from the incoming power line to the neutral side of the pump outlet.
  • Connect a ground wire (green) from the in coming power line to the ground terminal of the pump outlet (typo in original said switch.)
Brew on :mug:

Edit: 1/30/17. Corrected last bullet point.

So I started taking a stab at this and got myself confused. I've attached a poorly drawn diagram. Incoming wires from a 15 amp, 12 gauge extension cord that the chugger pump plugs into. Black wire to terminal 1 of the switch, green to the wire nut with the other grounds, but where does the white wire go? I'm sure this is all very simple, but I don't want to blow myself up.

diagram.jpg

So I started taking a stab at this and got myself confused. I've attached a poorly drawn diagram. Incoming wires from a 15 amp, 12 gauge extension cord that the chugger pump plugs into. Black wire to terminal 1 of the switch, green to the wire nut with the other grounds, but where does the white wire go? I'm sure this is all very simple, but I don't want to blow myself up.

At this point you need to find someone local with some electrical experience. If you are not sure how to wire a simple SPST switch, you shouldn't be doing this kind of work on your own. I'm not trying to be a dick, but your questions indicate you have very little electrical knowledge, and this stuff can be dangerous. I don't want you to hurt yourself or cause any property damage.

Brew on :mug:

The post directly above yours says exactly what you need to do in a bullet list. Follow it exactly as stated.

Back