Reviving Harvested Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polarbearbrewing

Reaction score
Last season I made my first attempt at yeast harvesting. I didn't want to mess with separating the yeast from trub after fermentation so my process was to make an extra large starter. After the starter did its thing on my stir plate I filled a pint sized mason jar and stashed it in the fridge. Next, I placed the remaining yeast starter in the fridge to crash cool, decanted and pitched it as usual.
My theory was that I would obtain a much cleaner yeast cake at the bottom since I saved it prior to fermenting a batch of beer. I plan on making starter with my german lager yeast that I harvested in late August of last year to be used in brewing an oktoberfest style beer.
Should I just whip up a batch of 1.040 wort from DME, decant the beer in the jar and pitch in my starter? Also how do I determine my approximate cell count?
Sorry for the noobish questions but I've never done this before and want to make sure I have enough viable cells for a healthy fermentation.
Thanks! :mug:

You've got the process down pretty well, cell counts are trickier. Check out brewersfriend.com and look for the yeast growth calculator. It will estimate your cell count based on initial population of the culture, and the amount and gravity of starter wort added.

Back