Reviews on Millar's Barley Mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you order a hopper for a Monster Mill a baseboard is included. Now it is flimsy MDF and a bit small. It looks like it was made to fit the box it ships in... The hopper is fine.

I ended up making my own baseboard from 3/4" plywood, which is much larger and also mounts my Heavy Duty Low Speed HF drill, perfectly in line with the drive shaft. :ban:

Unless this is something new, the Millar Mill does not ship with a baseboard.
I have an M3,have had for almost 2 years. Still works like the day I bought it.

Definitely good to know. Thanks.

Sorry, I interpreted and replied as MM standing for Monster Mill, not Millar Mill.

Indeed, the Millar Mills do not come with a baseboard.

Easy to make one yourself that also cradles your power drill. Then the whole system fits onto 2 buckets, one to receive the milled grain, the 2nd for supporting the weight of the drill. That's what I did for my Monster Mill MM2.

Ok Gang, Took 4 years off from brewing and getting back into it. Received the B3 today. Plan on brewing soon. 2-row, carapils, vienna and crystal 10. I used to use a corona mill and kinda eyeballed the grind.

What settings have you been using on the B3? are you using the same setting for all grains? Great looking tool, I'll sit it on a 5 gal bucket with a gamma seal lid rim so I can crush and seal the night or so before brewing. No need for a baseplate..the rails provide stability....I'll use foil to contain dust while crushing. Rails held down with bungie cords or paracord while crushing if needed ( have not got that far yet).
Thanks in advance for any input.

I got a new Pilot Mill from Millar today. One of the adjusting knobs had come out in transit, but a little tinkering reset it. Instructions said to run some grain through to clean, I tried some rice. It crushed it with effort -rice is too hard. I then ran some pilsner through, tightened the adjustment and ran it again. Lovely, easy, pretty. The hopper is not quite close enough to the rollers, it will let a few grains over the outer edge as built. Instructions say to roll it when adding grain to prevent this. I slightly bent one lower edge by hand, fits closer. I will probably bend the other side too.
I'm happy with the mill, it's solid, practical, easy to use. I prefer to hand mill, which is one of the reasons I bought this mill. I will update this when I brew next.

Latest posts

Back