Reviews on Millar's Barley Mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or wood ovens or whatever else he has his hand in. Glad you guys linked to the older thread that I hadn't seen yet. Based on my and others interactions with them, and all that BS about the materials and construction that he was attempting to sell, probably going to steer clear, but funny please keep up posted on how he handles the return and what the replaced product looks like. Is it going back to him on his dime, or yours?

I'm paying but he'll send me some coffee for free with the new thing. Obviously cheaper for him but I'll take it! ALready looked at the Crankandstein as alternative :rockin:

EDIT: I don't think I'd pay for the final return though. That's should be covered by the company since they don't refund the initial shipping.

EDIT2: I sent an email to Todd asking what the policy for a complete return is... Waiting for a response; will post it here!

Here's Todd's reply regarding the return or the entire mill, not only the rollers:

What ever you want to do is fine. Just to let you know you are the only mill so far that has had a problem at all. So we are curious about why it has happened. It could be the bearing was not pressed strait but we are not sure until we see it. Did you mill any wet or damp grain? The reason why I ask is maybe it damaged the bearing to make it out of round if the roller got caked with wet grain wich would push the bearing out of round. This could also happen if the mill has cracked too hard of a grain such as popcorn or a foreign object going through the grain mill.
Best regards
Todd

I am no engineer by any means but should the bearings really be so sensitive that the rollers can get out of alignment but milling wet grain? Should that be an argument for returning the mill? I'd like to get other inputs please on how to interpret this email. He was very nice and quick but what he is saying worries me.
Thanks!

Quit frankly, after the response I got yesterday, that I haven't posted about I would be worried. If a bearing is out of round due to wetted grain, then what would dry grain do. It's harder.
You are correct in one thing for sure. His responses are quick however, not carefully thought out.

See the response to my e-mail regarding his misleading advertising.

My last e-mail:
Excuse my ignorance, but doesn't the ad clearly state: Pre-order NOW! The all new B3 Barley Mill - Shipment by May 31st, 2013 and goes on to list the price at $129.99 and lists the scoop as included.
WOW, very interesting that I check back on your site and it's now gone.
That's some quick web editing. I guess if that is the response to an interested customer over $9.01 and an aluminum scoop, I'll probably need to choose another company to deal with. I would be very concerned of any warranty issue that might arise.

His response:
Sorry about that my web designer made an update a few days ago and it must of partially loaded our old page updates for the less expensive b2 model.
Yes you are right I think another mill could be a better choice for you. I am very particular to whom I work with and prefer like minded people. We don't seem to match up as well as we should, so I would think its best we part ways rather than feel resentment from you that you paid too much or me feeling you paid too little. Believe it or not we do make these 100% here in the USA and due to that our very small profit must be made to keep our small family business sustainable so we can afford to build the best mills with love and care and make them available to people like your self. Sorry If I have offended you in any way and wish you the best beer!
Best regards
Todd Millar

This is just my experience. Please take it with a grain of salt and make your own decisions. I don't wish to influence anyone negatively, just present the facts of my experience.

Quit frankly, after the response I got yesterday, that I haven't posted about I would be worried. If a bearing is out of round due to wetted grain, then what would dry grain do. It's harder.
You are correct in one thing for sure. His responses are quick however, not carefully thought out.

See the response to my e-mail regarding his misleading advertising

This is just my experience. Please take it with a grain of salt and make your own decisions. I don't wish to influence anyone negatively, just present the facts of my experience.

I am very naive so I always think the best of people first. But if several pieces fall together it's harder to consider them coincidence. I appreciate your opinion and I was asking for others to chime in so thanks! I'll most likely return the whole thing and get a Crankandstein 3E instead. Unfortunately Todd didn't reply to the part of my email where I asked if the shipping will be covered then since it's manufacturer fault. And they usually charge a 15% restocking fee which I also expect to be waived. Updates coming soon I hope.

I am very naive so I always think the best of people first. But if several pieces fall together it's harder to consider them coincidence. I appreciate your opinion and I was asking for others to chime in so thanks! I'll most likely return the whole thing and get a Crankandstein 3E instead. Unfortunately Todd didn't reply to the part of my email where I asked if the shipping will be covered then since it's manufacturer fault. And they usually charge a 15% restocking fee which I also expect to be waived. Updates coming soon I hope.

Best of luck.

Wow. Yeah, if milling wet grain is going to force a metal bearing out of round, they need find another supplier. Its also a pretty big red flag when a manufacturer tells you "well YOU are the only one having a problem." So Funny, it must be your fault the mill is not right. If you paid for this with a credit card, and he wants to charge restocking and for all the shipping, I would just send it back to him and dispute it with the credit card company, tell them you got a defective product. I will say I really appreciate this thread, because I had been looking at them, but with all the bunk he's trying to sell, along with telling people some of the ridiculous things he has, I think I will pass. I can't imagine a company that wouldn't want to honor a web advertisement that was only for 10 dollars less, because you know that customer is going to go out and sing your praises for honoring the offer and you will gain way more than $10 in word of mouth. And it said $129.99 bigger than Dallas on the front page of the website. I saw the same offer. Instead, this guy tells mblanks basically "you're just not the customer we're looking for, kthanks." It may be an overall solid product, and I hope the folks that have them have years of trouble free use. Just too much BS overall from this guy for my comfort level.

Wow. Yeah, if milling wet grain is going to force a metal bearing out of round, they need find another supplier. Its also a pretty big red flag when a manufacturer tells you "well YOU are the only one having a problem." So Funny, it must be your fault the mill is not right. If you paid for this with a credit card, and he wants to charge restocking and for all the shipping, I would just send it back to him and dispute it with the credit card company, tell them you got a defective product. I will say I really appreciate this thread, because I had been looking at them, but with all the bunk he's trying to sell, along with telling people some of the ridiculous things he has, I think I will pass. I can't imagine a company that wouldn't want to honor a web advertisement that was only for 10 dollars less, because you know that customer is going to go out and sing your praises for honoring the offer and you will gain way more than $10 in word of mouth. And it said $129.99 bigger than Dallas on the front page of the website. I saw the same offer. Instead, this guy tells mblanks basically "you're just not the customer we're looking for, kthanks." It may be an overall solid product, and I hope the folks that have them have years of trouble free use. Just too much BS overall from this guy for my comfort level.

I purchased through amazon and already filed a defective product return claim. Since it's a third-party vendor he has to approve. In my email to Todd personally he still insisted that
Wet grain will stick and cake up the roller making the rollers much bigger then press the bearings outward. Did you mill wet or damp grain?

I didn't see anything stick to the rollers but the usual flour.
And of course still no word if he will refund everything or what. Yeah, I think he just lost his mask...

I'm now seriously looking at the Crankandstein options...

Wish you the best of luck in getting it resolved. Keep us posted, and if you wind up going with something else let us know what you get and what you think. I wouldn't tell him how full of you know what he is until this all gets resolved, but boy I sure would after that.

It looks interesting for the price (which is admittedly intriguing even at the current $140) and it does look like it's improved but my concern was the 400 series stainless. The 400 series stainless I use for some other stuff around the house is rather flexible and not nearly as strong as 303/304. It's even significantly weaker than the 316 I use when I'm out of the other two.

In any event, I was tasked with picking up one for my Uncle but I think I'm going to suggest they put the extra cash in and go the Monster (I hate that the Rebel mill skyrocketed in price and of course then there are the availability issues while they look for a new manufacturer) route for now. The Millar is certainly a better priced option but the durability seems to be a real concern in this thread and with my experience with the 400 series Stainless it makes me even more nervous. I do hope they're able to work the kinks out though. Other than the few little quirks it does seem quite promising.

It looks interesting for the price (which is admittedly intriguing even at the current $140) and it does look like it's improved but my concern was the 400 series stainless. The 400 series stainless I use for some other stuff around the house is rather flexible and not nearly as strong as 303/304. It's even significantly weaker than the 316 I use when I'm out of the other two.

In any event, I was tasked with picking up one for my Uncle but I think I'm going to suggest they put the extra cash in and go the Monster (I hate that the Rebel mill skyrocketed in price and of course then there are the availability issues while they look for a new manufacturer) route for now. The Millar is certainly a better priced option but the durability seems to be a real concern in this thread and with my experience with the 400 series Stainless it makes me even more nervous. I do hope they're able to work the kinks out though. Other than the few little quirks it does seem quite promising.

Do you have any comment about the Crankandstein 3E? The Millar's is back on its way home. It did look very promising but if it can't handle simple grains then it's useless. Let's see how the return will be handled....

Wish you the best of luck in getting it resolved. Keep us posted, and if you wind up going with something else let us know what you get and what you think. I wouldn't tell him how full of you know what he is until this all gets resolved, but boy I sure would after that.

I usually don't do that. If he handles the return professionally then I don't have any reason to call him anything ;)

Why are people so naive when it comes to spending money...thinking that a $130/140 mill which is virtually untested and very few reviews out there and 1/2 of what is out there is not good...is worth the money?

Compare a Barley Crusher to the Millar B3 - on the surface the Millar "should" be better right? SS stuff...better bearings...etc...yet it's the same price as the BC....BUT whose warranty is better? With the exception to a KIA, warranties are usually an indication of the manufacturer standing behind their product. It's hard to make an unlimited lifetime warranty for anything...but if the Millar mill is so superior as he makes it out to be in his video - then why not back up the words with a better warranty...longer than 1 yr??

His response to me in questioning these things were "we believe you'll make the right choice in choosing a well-made mill". What was that supposed to mean? If the mills are this cheap now and they are barely making a profit....then how is he going to be able to raise the prices - if there are issues with the product and a lousy warranty. Something has to give. For me, I'm going to bite the bullet and get a Monster Mill. I thought about the Millar Mill...the BC and even the old hand crank Victoria - which I can get under $40 new....but I would rather spend $180 and never have to worry about constantly feeding that 1 lb hopper and the fact that I can use a drill. Any good, well made mill will pay for itself. And any of the BC, Rebel, Crankenstein, Monster, and the Cereal Killer are made well enough to last many years....can't say that about this Millar mill. People with excuses regarding their products....can't be trusted.

People with excuses regarding their products....can't be trusted.

This. And I agree with you funny, in that so long as he handles the return professionally and its not a huge hassle, that should be the end of it. Case closed. If, however, this is not the case, AND with all the bumf he has said to several folks, hoo boy. In your case I hope its a non-issue.

my concern was the 400 series stainless . . . Other than the few little quirks it does seem quite promising.
Actually 400 series stainless are better suited to rollers than 300 series. It's harder and can be heat treated. What you're missing is that the biggest "little quirk" is the company's smoke and mirror advertising.

The B2 model claimed, "Construction Aircraft Anodized Aluminum & knurled Hardened Steel Dual Roller Mill." The aluminum parts were not anodized after machining and the rollers were no harder than mill stock. When I questioned them they said that they never claimed HOW hard the rollers were.

The B3 model comes along with, "On our new Millar’s B3 model, we now feature something we developed called Pro-Last rollers. What makes this different is we used a unique heating-treatment system applied to 400 series stainless steel." Ambiguous language with no specifics to back up the claims or be held accountable for later. I'd love to see someone do a hardness test on these the way I tested the B2 rollers.

They advertise that the rollers won't rust, but tell funnycreature he f'ed up his mill by grinding wet. WTF! Isn't that one of the biggest reasons to buy a mill with stainless rollers?

May I ask what, if any, mill you have?
I have the Millar's B2. I'm a machinist and wanted to build my own motorized mill someday, but never could find the time. When I saw the features on the Millar's I figured, why bother? It had everything I would do and with an Amazon coupon it only cost me 30 bucks.

I built a nice stand for it, but along the way got real discouraged finding I didn't get what I wanted. At this point I'm not going to do the, "cut off your nose to spite your face", thing. It gives me a decent crush, so I'll use it until it fails and then do what I should have done in the first place.

Just here to try to keep others from making my mistake.

Do you have any comment about the Crankandstein 3E?
I've only had a 2 roller crank and it was a fine piece of hardware. My second (the first didn't fail, was a casualty of moving) I went with the MM only because I preferred his responses. I wanted to go 3 roller so bad I could taste it but responses here at HBT steered me away from it as, while workable, would frustrate me greatly. Ultimately I got a 2" 2 roller and may pick up a second in the future and mount them over/under with the drives linked with the same purpose as the 3 roller. I'm still not convinced it's enough gain to justify it though.

Why are people so naive when it comes to spending money...thinking that a $130/140 mill which is virtually untested and very few reviews out there and 1/2 of what is out there is not good...is worth the money?
At 40% less price, and I've seen more decent reviews of the B2s with only a few quirks I'd want to avoid, it makes you a little more lenient at dealing with small stuff. The bearing issues being the bigger issue that I've seen and the responses from the Manu iffy for my tastes. Historically I've used a Crankenstein 2 roller and a MM2 with complete satisfaction. They cost a bit more and for myself I'd just wait and go that route. As it was a request from a cousin to buy for her husband I was limited to a more restrictive budget.

Actually 400 series stainless are better suited to rollers than 300 series. It's harder and can be heat treated. What you're missing is that the biggest "little quirk" is the company's smoke and mirror advertising.
Must just be the shear strength is less because it's incredibly to snap any of the 3 that I've used compared to the 300 series. It's so much cheaper though and I tend to use a bunch. :)

Already have the MM3 with 1/2" shaft and hopper+base sitting in the shopping cart. I'm torn between pulling the trigger now or waiting until I have received the refund on the Millar's Mill...

Personally I'm extremely happy with my MM2 with the hopper addition so it's hard for me to imagine you'd be unhappy with it but if you're overly dependent on the cash from this one to make ends meet I'd wait.

@AnOldUR, That's why I got the stainless. It's done such a great job and I get so much "requested" help that I'm still toying with picking up Hardened though. Did well over 1000lbs of grinding last year. :( I was kind of stunned when I read the concern over wet milling to be honest.

Personally I'm extremely happy with my MM2 with the hopper addition so it's hard for me to imagine you'd be unhappy with it but if you're overly dependent on the cash from this one to make ends meet I'd wait.

@AnOldUR, That's why I got the stainless. It's done such a great job and I get so much "requested" help that I'm still toying with picking up Hardened though. Did well over 1000lbs of grinding last year. :( I was kind of stunned when I read the concern over wet milling to be honest.

I don't need the cash that badly but it's always good to know how much something really costs in the end. I guess I'll just order and be done with it. I was brave enough to test the Millar's mill so why not get something proven? I will stick with the standard option and not go SS but I'll treat myself to the 1/2" shaft :ban:

Isn't the MM3 (or is that the 2.0 portion) the 2" model anyway? Those came standard with 1/2" shafts when I got mine. I have the stainless model but it's probably overkill. I am still seriously considering going back and getting the hardened roller model as they'll last virtually forever. I think that particular upgrade option was pretty cheap at the time ($30 maybe?). But again, I got the 2 roller model, not the 3.

Isn't the MM3 (or is that the 2.0 portion) the 2" model anyway? Those came standard with 1/2" shafts when I got mine. I have the stainless model but it's probably overkill. I am still seriously considering going back and getting the hardened roller model as they'll last virtually forever. I think that particular upgrade option was pretty cheap at the time ($30 maybe?). But again, I got the 2 roller model, not the 3.

It might be that the MM3 2.0 comes with 1/2" standard but that's another $83 over the MM3 (1.5" rollers). The upgrade to 1/2" is $15 so no deal breaker!

Just placed my order for the MM2 with 2" standard steel rollers. Fred even recommended going 1.5" but I wanted that extra diameter if I don't get the 3-roller model :ban:

EDIT: also got the base & hopper since it looks awesome and I don't feel like making one myself :)

Just got a very nice voicemail from Todd. He apologized for the inconvenience and was really surprised about the defect so he will look into it some more. I'll get the refund soon so all is good. Very professionally handled in my opinion. :fro:

Just got a very nice voicemail from Todd. He apologized for the inconvenience and was really surprised about the defect so he will look into it some more. I'll get the refund soon so all is good. Very professionally handled in my opinion. :fro:

Hmm, I wonder if I should mention to him the fact that mine does it too.

Hmm, I wonder if I should mention to him the fact that mine does it too.

I actually would encourage you to do that. Maybe there was a problem in production? It's clear that Todd is trying hard but also that he is not the engineer behind all this. However, I was within the 30-day window so my return was probably no problem either way. Call him and ask!

Here's what I'm going to say...

I sent Todd an email mentioning the traveling roller and asking his opinion. Todd called me within 20 minutes (my default email signature has my cell phone number.)

Todd is a very knowledgeable man. He went on in length about the engineering that went into the mill, the family of brothers who operate the local machine shop that builds the mills, and the tests that him and his small staff have performed using their mill, as well as the Barley Crusher and Monster Mills. In short, the "wobble" is intentional - it virtually eliminates the possibility of the grain getting stuck (a frequent issue with the BC as I've read elsewhere on this forum.)

I decided to keep the mill, and on it's second use today, obtained 84% efficiency using boil in a bag. That's impressive - I don't care who you are...

I also noticed that the non-driven roller has freed itself - it no-longer sticks.

I'm very pleased with this mill. Todd again apologized for the missing mounting hole - he said he gave the machine shop grief on that, and offered to send me even more free coffee. (By the way, his dark-roast coffee is spectacular - easily on par with Starbucks darker roasts.)

In his own words, Todd wants to design the best homebrewer's mill out there. Is he there yet? I can't say - I don't know as much as he does, I'll say that much for sure. But considering the price, the performance and the customer service, I have nothing to complain about.

Cheers folks.

That is awesome that you are happy with your mill. I wanted to like it too but the changing gain worried me. Why didn't he mention to me that this is on purpose? I agree that the price is unbeatable and I loved the overall design. I'll see what the monster mill does.

Sounds like another changed story since he said you were "the only pronlem he had heard of" and suggested it was your fault for milling wet. If it was intentional, why would he not have said that to begin with? Is he refunding the shipping now too?

Sounds like another changed story since he said you were "the only pronlem he had heard of" and suggested it was your fault for milling wet. If it was intentional, why would he not have said that to begin with? Is he refunding the shipping now too?

Complete refund and personal phone call apologizing. Todd was still saying it was a defect though.

one-L said:

Customer service is a mother@&$!. It is very seldom that a customer calls or emails me with a problem in which I understand what the issue is or how to solve it. I usually have to see the physical part to make a correct assessment. Not something the customer wants to hear. In the end, unhappy customers talk more than the happy ones.

Glad to hear he is making it right. Sounds like he could use some more people and pr skills, but bottom line is he stepped up, bs or not. Keep us posted when you get your monster. I am leaning in that direction myself now.

Glad to hear he is making it right. Sounds like he could use some more people and pr skills, but bottom line is he stepped up, bs or not. Keep us posted when you get your monster. I am leaning in that direction myself now.

Will do! I expect delivery in Monday but no brewing scheduled for another couple of weeks at least :(

Edit: I also sent an email to Fred at Monster Brewing Hardware asking his opinion on the roller geometry. Will be interesting to see what he has to say!

Here's what I'm going to say...

I sent Todd an email mentioning the traveling roller and asking his opinion. Todd called me within 20 minutes (my default email signature has my cell phone number.)

Todd is a very knowledgeable man. He went on in length about the engineering that went into the mill, the family of brothers who operate the local machine shop that builds the mills, and the tests that him and his small staff have performed using their mill, as well as the Barley Crusher and Monster Mills. In short, the "wobble" is intentional - it virtually eliminates the possibility of the grain getting stuck (a frequent issue with the BC as I've read elsewhere on this forum.)

I decided to keep the mill, and on it's second use today, obtained 84% efficiency using boil in a bag. That's impressive - I don't care who you are...

I also noticed that the non-driven roller has freed itself - it no-longer sticks.

I'm very pleased with this mill. Todd again apologized for the missing mounting hole - he said he gave the machine shop grief on that, and offered to send me even more free coffee. (By the way, his dark-roast coffee is spectacular - easily on par with Starbucks darker roasts.)

In his own words, Todd wants to design the best homebrewer's mill out there. Is he there yet? I can't say - I don't know as much as he does, I'll say that much for sure. But considering the price, the performance and the customer service, I have nothing to complain about.

Cheers folks.

While I applaud the fix, he's attitude about things doesn't exactly make me feel at ease for his products. "Do whatever you feel is necessary". What kind of talk is that? If the product is so good...where is the warranty?

If the goal is to have the best mill out there....then put your backing behind it and don't come across as a salesman. I'm being serious about this. The others have a lifetime warranty....why doesn't this one if it's "superior" in almost every aspect?

I personally have no vested interest other than owning a mill that will last my lifetime if properly taken care of. That's all. If you can't assure me on that, why should I go with your mill?

As for the free coffee, I would rather get something towards my brewing and not of coffee. Personally I don't drink coffee so sending me premium beans is going to do nothing for me. It's fine if he wants to further develop his model...etc. but there comes a point where it either has to be proven better or something because price alone will not win over people if the thing breaks in 12 months or less....or even 15 months but there is no warranty. ALL mills come down to efficiency and reliability. Plain and simple.

As to the efficiency, most of those things are case by case anyhow. You might fly sparge, you might have a braid, you might be stirring the mash, temps, it might be a real fine grain...might be coarse...etc. TOO many variables to just come out and say - I get great efficiency. Compared to the local homebrew store mill? Almost any properly set up mill at home can do that.

Or for some reason they end up with a whole batch of bearings that are out of true. Now what? Let's say this: "The wobble is intentional...prevents stuck grains."

Sounds like an argument trying to talk a crooked nail straight.
Why would grains get stuck? They should get milled (crushed) and only a few are small, narrow, or very pliable and slide by.

OMG! He's at it again. Lame explanations and excuses. The 2 versions were machined in China and assembled in the US. Don't know about the 3's, but that's probably what he means by "builds the mills". They put together out of round crap made in China and then come up with some hair brain reason why it should be that way.

Think about it this way. You have a round wheel and and oval wheel. Which one will roll further before getting "stuck?"

The slave roller on a Barley Crushers get stuck for one reason. Grain dust builds up in the bushing. Using sealed roller bearings instead of bushings should fix this problem.

Todd is NOT knowledgeable. He's a clever salesman.

I am really interested in this conversation. Regardless of other peoples experiences with this particular company I have ordered the Millar's B3 Mill. I look forward to testing the initial performance, and continued performance. I know another individual who has just ordered the same mill and maybe he will be able to shed some light on his experience with the mill on his own setup. As far as looking at the spectrum of options I found this to suit my needs best for the money. I would like to bring this back to the tested performance of the mill and the opinions of the consumers. Could be great, or could not be. We will see. I will post back with my data.

I am really interested in this conversation. Regardless of other peoples experiences with this particular company I have ordered the Millar's B3 Mill. I look forward to testing the initial performance, and continued performance. I know another individual who has just ordered the same mill and maybe he will be able to shed some light on his experience with the mill on his own setup. As far as looking at the spectrum of options I found this to suit my needs best for the money. I would like to bring this back to the tested performance of the mill and the opinions of the consumers. Could be great, or could not be. We will see. I will post back with my data.

There's actually a few things that I really liked a bout this mill:
  1. It comes fully assembled; only the hopper needs assembly. The MM2 2.0 that I have now was held together by only a rubber band
  2. The screws that hold the gap adjustment in place are tight and don't move; my MM seems to move all so slightly during the crushing
  3. all is included; nothing will beat the price with all the accessories that come with the mill.

You'll be just fine if you don't get one that's out of round!

You'll be just fine if you don't get one that's out of round!

Mine is still slightly out-of-round and it has performed beautifully - I've been more consistent and had higher efficiency from the grain crushed by this milll than I ever have before. It's never gotten stuck, it was a total breeze to clean with a used toothbrush, and in short, I'm very, very pleased with it.

Mine is still slightly out-of-round and it has performed beautifully - I've been more consistent and had higher efficiency from the grain crushed by this milll than I ever have before. It's never gotten stuck, it was a total breeze to clean with a used toothbrush, and in short, I'm very, very pleased with it.

Congratulations! I had the problem of uncrushed grains slipping through and others got pulverized. Maybe mine had a bad case of "out-of-roundies" :(

Looking forward to getting some more real word trials of these things. Funny, how's the monster doing for you?

Back