Review the Pre-Hopped Kits (lazy man's beer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewOnBoard

Reaction score
Although AG is to be strived for, sometimes pre-hopped kits make sense, especially for me because of long shelf life and ease of process. In other words it's quick, cheap beer on hand.

So let's rate the pre-hopped kits that have been tried and see if we can figure out which ones are worthwhile. Also any general tips for improving the kits are welcome here. Notice that in an attempt to be realistic, even the 5 star isn't as good as a well crafted micro or a top-rated homebrew ingredient kit because I doubt that's possible with these kits.

Here's the system, 1-5 stars:

* A starving college student would drink it, but nobody else. (think hooch/icehouse)
** Drinkable in a pinch. Wouldn't serve it to guests or brew it again. (think MGD)
*** Drinkable. Worth brewing again. (think PBR)
**** A decent table beer. (think Carona)
***** As good as the better macros or a good ingredient kit. (think RedHook)

My first brew was a cooper's Dark ale kit with the recipe followed exactly:
CHBcursFull.jpg

I give this one 2 stars. I drink it when I'm out of store bought beer and I'm feeling poor. It has some weird flavors/smell that I don't like. It could have been a bad process but as brewed by me, it's a 2 star. Won't buy it again.

Let's hear your experiences!
BrewOnBoard

My first brew was an Ironmaster Imperial Pale Ale to which I added 2 lbs of DME. I din't leave it in the primary long enough (only 3 days!) and then two weeks in the secondary. After it was in the bottle for about 6 weeks it got to tasting pretty good.

I would give it 3 stars.

If I were to brew it again, I would add some flavor and aroma hops.

I brewed a Muntons Stout for my second batch of beer, it was a pre-hopped canned kit. I did a partial boil on it. It was by far the worst tasting beer I have ever made.
I attribute it to the pre-hopping and the fact it was canned. I think the can gives the LME off flavors.

I have done 7 of these kits (BeerMakers) so far but never just brewed as per instructions. I started with a stout kit and modded per experience from this forum, some dark spray malt and 6 OZ of Cocoa for 10 min ect.. I took a draught kit and instead of corn sugar used honey. I also did a lager kit and added corn syrup and Lime to try to get that BMC lime beer. Turned out pretty well. My first try at making beer was the chocolate stout and I spent a lot of time sampling to understand the green beer thing but by the time I got down to the last couple beer (aprox 2 months post bottling) I had a beer snob sample it and comment on how it was the best stout he had ever tried. I have also taken 2 prehopped ale malt cans and used them with an extra fuggles hop addition and some dark spray malt to make a corn sugarless IPA. You might say why don't you just get a unhopped Kit from Northern Brewer or something? Around here I can get those pre hopped malt cans for 12.99 Canadian. So my IPA cost me under 30$. So if I was giving a star rating I would give my modded kits 4 stars and my chocolate stout a 5 star.

I still have Coopers Mexican Cerveza on hand. I purchased the kit, with the additional fermentables brew pack, from Austin Homebrew. I would probably give it three to three and a half stars. I honestly wasn't expecting too much from it. It's not a great beer, but it's very drinkable and not bad on a hot day. I have to say, it was as easy as a Mr. Beer kit to brew.

Of all the pre-hopped kits, my favorite is Cooper's Sparkling Ale. Properly aged, this brew is up there with the more advanced full-boil kits. As far as Pre-Hopped Extract kits go, I'd have to give this one 5 stars.

Of all the pre-hopped kits, my favorite is Cooper's Sparkling Ale. Properly aged, this brew is up there with the more advanced full-boil kits. As far as Pre-Hopped Extract kits go, I'd have to give this one 5 stars.

After my success with the cerveza, I was really strongly considering trying the Sparkling Ale. Thanks for the recommendation!

Muntons wheat beer, used in conjunction with 1kg of German wheat spraymalt (brewcraft I believe); I have to give it a 3.5 star rating. Very drinkable, and I would happily serve it to my friends. The only bad thing about it is that once people have a taste of it the want to drink the whole bloody batch of it. Primary for 2 weeks with no finings, then bottle conditioned for 2 weeks; very impressive head and a smooth drink at that. Very little, if any noticeable banana or clove notes, even when the yeast is shaken up. Would happily brew this again and again.

I still have Coopers Mexican Cerveza on hand. I purchased the kit, with the additional fermentables brew pack, from Austin Homebrew. I would probably give it three to three and a half stars. I honestly wasn't expecting too much from it. It's not a great beer, but it's very drinkable and not bad on a hot day. I have to say, it was as easy as a Mr. Beer kit to brew.

I was wondering about the cerveza. I had a theory that these kits are at their worst with dark beers, and what did I do? Try their dark ale! I've been drinking a lot of Carona this summer. For a very average beer, it's amazing how different a carona tastes on a really hot day.

How does the cerveza compare to carona?

BrewOnBoard

I was wondering about the cerveza. I had a theory that these kits are at their worst with dark beers, and what did I do? Try their dark ale! I've been drinking a lot of Carona this summer. For a very average beer, it's amazing how different a carona tastes on a really hot day.

How does the cerveza compare to carona?

I wouldn't say it's a clone of Corona. It's similar, a light smooth beer that I've found to be quite nice on a hot day. If you add a bit of lime to it the experience is a little more like a Corona. Like I said, I'd definitely do this beer again if I wanted this style and something that was REALLY easy to brew. The additional fermentable kit from Austin Homebrew made the whole "brewing" process take about ten minutes.

Let's just say I was pleased enough with this Coopers kit that I am considering the Sparkling Ale in the future. I enjoy the process of steeping grains with extract and am looking to try a partial mash in the next couple of brew sessions, but I still like these pre-hopped kits for their ease and am surprised that they can actually make a decent beer.

I have done 7 of these kits (BeerMakers) so far but never just brewed as per instructions. I started with a stout kit and modded per experience from this forum, some dark spray malt and 6 OZ of Cocoa for 10 min ect.. I took a draught kit and instead of corn sugar used honey. I also did a lager kit and added corn syrup and Lime to try to get that BMC lime beer. Turned out pretty well. My first try at making beer was the chocolate stout and I spent a lot of time sampling to understand the green beer thing but by the time I got down to the last couple beer (aprox 2 months post bottling) I had a beer snob sample it and comment on how it was the best stout he had ever tried. I have also taken 2 prehopped ale malt cans and used them with an extra fuggles hop addition and some dark spray malt to make a corn sugarless IPA. You might say why don't you just get a unhopped Kit from Northern Brewer or something? Around here I can get those pre hopped malt cans for 12.99 Canadian. So my IPA cost me under 30$. So if I was giving a star rating I would give my modded kits 4 stars and my chocolate stout a 5 star.

Where are you picking these kits up if you don't mind me asking? Just at your LBS? Most of the kits I find are nearing $20 each, if not more.

My first Coopers was pretty good (came with kit), but then again it could have been the wow I made it factor. For the most part they lack the depth and flavor of a well done all grain or pm/extract brew. It was however a good learning experience because you learn the process with little chance of failure.

you can find them @ makebeer.net as well as many online sources. some of the stuff at LHBS is pretty old stock that just sits and sits until they can unload it.

Coopers Stout and Coopers Bavarian Lager, with DME.
Not bad, not bad at all. Midwest sells some simple 20 minute boil kits, has Muntons Connesuier prehopped malt and DME, specialty grains and finish hops.
The Pale Ale is pretty ok. I make these canned brews for the OL, she likes em a little on the light side.
AP

I've had fantastic success with almost every kit I've made, however I do a very modified version of the kits. Using DeathBrewer's partial mash method and a full hour long boil will yield amazing 5 star beer. My best to date I think has been this one:
451.jpg

Here's the steps:
1) Partial mash 2kg 2 row & .5kg instant oatmeal using the mash method above.
2) Boil for the full hour and add hops if you want them (an extra once spread out over the boil will definitely help make the beer taste 'fresher').
3) Within the last 10 minutes of the boil, pour in the extract.
4) Dump in primary
5) cool with ice/cold water up to 5 gallons
6) Ferment as normal.

Voila! An easy and delicious beer. Obviously if you were using the cerveza or lager kit you would use something else (maybe instant rice?) other than oatmeal.

I've done the Cooper's Euro Lager as well as their bitter. I have done quite well with both. Both need some adjuncts, steeped grains and extra hops, but I'd say 3-4 stars.

I may go back to more extract brewing too because with a 7 month old it's tough to get 4-5 hours to all grain.

I made a Coopers Real Ale and it was ok but needed a little something. The second batch was dry hopped with cascade and it was much, much better. Embarking on a Coopers IPA this weekend.

Charlie P's "Expiditious" old ale recipe makes use of a Munton's Old Ale kit and it's okay...but I'd never use just a kit alone. Ever.

Probably the best compromise is a Kit + DME + some Finishing Hops.

I made a muntons american light, following the instructions exactly. I used corn sugar as per the instructions. It tasted good, but it's a little cidery. I give it a 3.

However, the guy at my LHBS gave me a sample of his, and he says he follows the instructions to a T as well. The only difference between his and mine is he lets his sit for at least a year before trying any of them. I give his a 4-4.5. You would never guess it's a pre-hop can. Maybe I just need to let mine sit for a few more months.

I made a Coopers Real Ale and it was ok but needed a little something. The second batch was dry hopped with cascade and it was much, much better. Embarking on a Coopers IPA this weekend.

So you dry hopped the Cooper's real ale kit and it turned out well or was it another kit?

Let us know about the IPA kit. I've heard it's one of the best. I imagine that since hop flavor is the most lacking of the flavors in these kits a highly hopped beer like an IPA probably comes out well. I would think it would be a good beer but maybe not a great IPA.

Let us know in a few weeks!

BoB

Cooper Draught - 3 stars. This was my first brew, I followed the instruction carefully. However I shouldn't have. My friends liked it.

Cooper Cerveza - 3 stars as well. I added 1.5kg of DME as per instructions for a maltier taste. I shouldn't have. However since I brew this, I realized that I dislike Cerveza.

From what I learned, never use the yeast provided in these kits, boil the wort and manually add your aroma/flavour hops. Oh and never follow cooper's instructions; adding a little bit of sugar in each of the 62 bottles is just crazy:drunk:

It's a long story. But my very first 5 gallon brew was one of the Coopers light ales. I screwed up the process royally, and the beer tasted wonky a month after brewing.
So I poured it.

I ran across a couple of misplaced bottles 6 months later and you guessed it: The beer was excellent. I would give it at least 3 stars-- A good beer after all and a lesson learned.

Cooper Cerveza - 3 stars as well. I added 1.5kg of DME as per instructions for a maltier taste. I shouldn't have. However since I brew this, I realized that I dislike Cerveza.

You say you shouldn't have put in the DME. Do you think it would be better (drier? lighter?) with sugar instead of DME or do you mean you shouldn't have followed the directions in general?

BoB

I never tried them almost did once,then the guy @ the store steered me away from it.

While I am *NOT* a fan of Mexican beers (I find that piss tastes better), there are a few things that I like about the Black Rock Cervesa, and the general process...

1) Very good summertime beer. As a matter of fact, I would not add any malt extract to a can of this -- you want this very thin. I add dextrose to the boil water, and have an experiment going with flaked corn. *Gasp* Flaked corn? how can I use this? Well....

2) My only source of Amylase Enzyme. I do double batches of it, and only use one of the packets (hey, it's a organic catalyst). The other packet goes in storage for certain things like SWMBO Slayer, or other heavier summer beers. AE also breaks down the starches that the corn imparts into the beer.

3) Time factor. It takes me about an hour to do this beer from water heating to pitching yeast. A/G or Extracts (not pre-hopped) take about three.

4) Experience. I know I've been saying a lot of "I" here, but I'm actually storing the beer here... he buys the cans and pitches the yeast, so it's his beer, but I've been the one suggesting flaked corn (maybe some flaked rice, too), carbing questions, etc.

I've done the IPA from Morgan's and it has resulted in a weak but altogether tasty beer! I used LME (albeit too little) with this pre-hopped canned kit and after about 3 weeks in primary and 1 in secondary I dry-hopped it with an oz. or Cascade. The cascade is really up front, it makes for a nice grapefruity beer. Everyone that has tasted it has liked it.

I just found (and have in hand) a long lost bottle of the Cooper's Dark ale that I brewed 6 months ago. I'd say it's improved and it would now count it as a 3 star. Most of it that I drank when it was 3 months old. I'm glad it's improved, but I sure wouldn't brew it again and intentionally wait 6 months!

My big complaint is that it's a little thin, cidery, and has some lingering weirdness of flavor. I suspect that some of that is from errors in my process and some of it is from using sugar instead of DME. I knew DME would be better (especially for a dark ale) but wanted to see what the baseline of coopers was.

I bet if you used DME for this kit, didn't mess up the process, and waited a little while it would easially be 3 stars and could be 4.

BoB

The cascade is really up front, it makes for a nice grapefruity beer. Everyone that has tasted it has liked it.

Wrong bud,I cant stand cascade.I use centennial or sometimes palisade,never cascade.

You say you shouldn't have put in the DME. Do you think it would be better (drier? lighter?) with sugar instead of DME or do you mean you shouldn't have followed the directions in general?

BoB

No no, DME is fine. The thing is, any extra malt you add will not be hopped. So you end up with a very malty (sweet) flavour in the finished beer. It's kind of unusual for a Cerveza.

No no, DME is fine. The thing is, any extra malt you add will not be hopped. So you end up with a very malty (sweet) flavour in the finished beer. It's kind of unusual for a Cerveza.

...that's why when you tweak a kit with DME/LME, it's a good idea to add some "finishing" hops. :mug:

Funnily enough, I got a muntons IPA kit and was thinking about sry hopping for about a week with some Amarillo that I've got kicking around. 1 oz should be okay?

I've done a few all malt kits from Woodfordes.
Wherry - Excellent bitter.
Nog - Lovely old style porter.
Admirals reserve - Nice hoppy strong ale.
Great Eastern - Beautiful golden ale.

I have only good things to say about them, but then I haven't move on to pure extract or AG yet.

http://www.woodfordes.com/

Wrong bud,I cant stand cascade.I use centennial or sometimes palisade,never cascade.

To date everyone who has tried it has liked it. I didn't say everyone liked Cascade.

Funnily enough, I got a muntons IPA kit and was thinking about sry hopping for about a week with some Amarillo that I've got kicking around. 1 oz should be okay?

I found 1 oz. for 11 days was too much at first... so 1 oz. might be right for you if only dry-hopping for 1 week. After 4 weeks in the bottle the flavour of the hops was still very noticeable but less-so and what I had expected it to be from the beginning. I believe that with the proper amount of malt extract the balance will suit my pallet once bottle-conditioning is through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd4 View Post

So you dry hopped the Cooper's real ale kit and it turned out well or was it another kit?
Yes, it was a second batch of Real Ale. I did a third batch and made some mistakes (like adding too much water, trying to add DME to make up for it, etc.) and the end result is not something I would want anyone else to taste but it is drinkable-esp. in these 102-103 Deg. F. days we have been having lately.

I did the Coopers Lager can for my first brew. I used the can and 2.5 lbs of corn sugar.

I would personally rate it 2.5, but most feedback I've got from others would be like 4.5. It tastes a little sour to me from to much corn sugar. But every one who I have served it to really likes it. A few people asked me to take some home so they can have more and give a taste to their spouse. One of my buddies was about to stop over and asked of I had any left, when I said that I did he got real excited. It tastes a little too BMC for me. But when I while I am waiting for my other brews to be finished and I run out of store bought beer I don't mind drinking a it. I'd say its a great beer to serve to BMC drinkers, but if I am going to take the time and effort to brew beer, I want something better.

I'd say its a great beer to serve to BMC drinkers...

This sounds like exactly what I should be making to fill corny kegs I plan on lending to friends throughout the up and coming school year :cross: I hate BMC, in fact I've often ordered water instead of any of those at restaurants that don't serve anything even half-way decent, like Rickard's.

Did you actually lager it?

I'm assuming that your friends would rate it 4.5/5 against BMC, which would be 5/5 in their seriously misguided opinions ha ha.

I did not lager it, it uses standard coopers ale yeast (comes with it). I had it in the primary for a week then in the bottles for 3. If I could do it over again I would have left it in the primary for 2 weeks.

As far as BMC goes. If you are making some for your friends, a "BMC clone kit" might be better. The coopers couldnt get any easier to make. But for my second brew I made morebeer.com's American Lite, it came out a little better than the coopers lager, but it does require a 60min biol for hop additions.

bottled my first brew last night, cooper's ipa. tasted amazing, even flat, after 14 days in primary, but i could be bias :>)

Here's the recipe I use with Munton's Old Ale kit for an amazing brew!

2 cans Muntons Old Ale (6 lbs, 10 oz)
2 lbs Light DME
1/2 oz Magnum (12.7 AA) finishing hops

Bring 3.5 gallons of water to a boil

Take off heat and stir in Muntons old Ale kits (warmed in hot sink water to make pouring easy) and Light DME

After complete mixing, turn heat on again and return to boil

Set timer at 15 minutes, start it then add the hops

When timer stops, cool wort as quickly as possible - an ice bath for the brew kettle in the sink works great

When wort is at 70 degrees F pour into fermenter and top up to 5.5 gallons with bottled water

Stir vigorously to introduce lots of air

Take a hydrometer sample

Pitch both yeast packets from kits by sprinkling on foam

Seal fermenter and apply airlock

Wait ;)

I use a lot of mutons lme kits but I double the yeast, add 3lbs DME, and add some rice syrup. 1 week in the primary fermenter, 1-2 weeks in the secondary, then 2-3 weeks bottle conditioning. All phases are placed in area set at 65 degrees and so far now matter which style I have had fantastic results. 5 stars on all mutons lme kits, if done right they're better than any thing you buy off the liqueur store shelf.

Given the pandemic, it's time to revive this post. No way am I heading to a beer distributor. I just bought 2 Muntons prehopped kits and 3 lbs of Muntons Extra Light DME.

I've got a bunch of freezer hops of different varieties.

For each kit...

I think I'll bring 1.5 gal of water to a boil, cut the heat, pour in half a pound of DME, turn on the heat and add .50 oz of bittering hops for 30 mins. Cut the heat, add another .50 oz for aroma, and whirlpool for 5 or 10 mins. During the whirlpool, when the temperature drops below 200 F I will add the prehopped kit and another half pound to full pound of DME.

When it drops below 140 I will add the wort to my bucket that is filled with a gallon of cold tap water. Top off to probably 4 gallons, maybe 5.

Latest posts

Back