reuse of yeast slurry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benshadow

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I made a golden ale back in Nov using a wyeast London ale yeast. I saved the slurry from this and used some for an old ale at the beginning of December. I also saved some from this. The golden ale ended up 5% and old ale around 7.2%. I didn't wash the yeast, just put it in to sterilized pet bottles in the fridge. The old ale came out well with no distinguishable off flavours. But I am looking to make a imperial stout this weekend. I can't remember what beersmith said the og should be but it worked out at about 9%. Should my yeast still be good to use and if so, which one?

Thanks in advance for any help

Yes the yeast should still be good but the overall viability will have dropped and a starter should be made. Go to http://www.mrmalty.com and plug in your numbers and select made from slurry so you can calculate what you need.

Thanks for the reply.

I won't really have any time to get to my lhbs before Saturday sadly so cannot get the bits to make a starter. Just put some numbers in to Mr malty and it said I need 99ml of yeast which doesn't seem like much. If I was to get my saved yeast out and to room temperature could use this as is and if so, is there anything I could do to help?

Thanks again

You could always make your brew, then remove some wort. Let the wort cool and make a starter with that. Just water it down to get to about 1.040. Put the rest of the wort in a carboy and put on the airlock. Pitch it the next morning. 12hrs of a starter is probably better than no starter at all. The wort in the carboy will be fine as long as your sanitation is good. I have had to do this because I wanted to start a beer a couple days before my planned brewday. Beer turned out great. Otherwise you may have to order more yeast and pitch it when it arrives. Cheers!

Thanks. That is a possibility. My primary is only one of this beginner youngs buckets though and wouldn't feel comfortable leaving it in there without any pitched yeast. Just found some yeast sachets in the cupboard though! Safeale US-05 and s-04. Will have to look these up and see what is more suited

Back