Return To Homebrewing: Homebrewing with kids?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MezzoRN

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I’m from Maine and began homebrewing about 8 years ago and went strong for about 3 years. Got a decent setup, equipment, etc. However, started nursing school, had a kid, got married and got out of the game. Currently moving into a much, much larger home and have the garage space for expanded space to setup shop. I want to transplant my hops that are growing at my house as well this spring when the snow melts to the new place as well and I have grand ideas where they’re going.

“Problem is”, I’ve got a 1 year old now and I’m more or less nervous about how to brew and not be a bad role model. I’m a 1 beer a night, after work kinda guy. I’m thinking do a 5 gallon brew every other month or so and that should keep me reasonably sustained. Just never really thought about how to do it with kids around and not look like bad, basically. Anyone else struggle with this? Also, any major changes in the homebrew scene in the last 5 years since I’ve been glued to textbooks and trying to build an adult life?

i don't know how homebrew would make you look bad? your kid, should see it and not want to get 'abused' by the gangster type....

Brewing is legal, so there's nothing bad about it.

If you consider drinking alcohol to be setting a poor example for your child, then you should just give up drinking it.

Probably the biggest change since you’ve been gone is the introduction of Low Oxygen Brewing. It’s a subculture of the overall Homebrew subculture.

As far as brewing with kids around: my moral compass allows me the freedom to brew without guilt or shame that I am a bad influence on a younger generation. I live life abundantly. My equipment and process is a safe environment so I am not endangering youngsters. It’s simply a routine part of my life like charcuterie, baking, pickling, BBQing, etc.

Hello everyone. I’m from Maine and began homebrewing about 8 years ago and went strong for about 3 years. Got a decent setup, equipment, etc. However, started nursing school, had a kid, got married and got out of the game. Currently moving into a much, much larger home and have the garage space for expanded space to setup shop. I want to transplant my hops that are growing at my house as well this spring when the snow melts to the new place as well and I have grand ideas where they’re going.

“Problem is”, I’ve got a 1 year old now and I’m more or less nervous about how to brew and not be a bad role model. I’m a 1 beer a night, after work kinda guy. I’m thinking do a 5 gallon brew every other month or so and that should keep me reasonably sustained. Just never really thought about how to do it with kids around and not look like bad, basically. Anyone else struggle with this? Also, any major changes in the homebrew scene in the last 5 years since I’ve been glued to textbooks and trying to build an adult life?

Good for you. Congratulations on your achievements!

Teaching our children to respect beer/alcohol, IMO, is a valuable lesson. Originally, I debated the "teach by example" vs "set a good example" vs hypocrite (aka "Do as I say and not as I do"). I chose the "set a good example".

My offspring know I respect beer and alcohol. When I have beer outside our house my wife drives. When I take my wife to a cidery or winery then I am the designated driver. No exceptions. Once again, IMO, this is an important lesson on being responsible and accepting responsibility.

Daughter is now in college studying microbiology. I've discussed yeast with her many times. We can equate what she learned in class with my brewery experiences.

I've told both my offspring, once they are old enough to have some of my homemade beer, then they are welcome. They are very interested especially hearing the "Man, this is great!" comments about my homebrew over the years. Also, I'm not totally naive as I realize my daughter in college has been exposed to alcohol. Doesn't matter the college or university "policy" on alcohol and drugs. They are both readily available. This is where we hope we were good parents and set good examples so they can make decent judgements for themselves.

Last edited:
My daughter is 7 and I let her help me brew as much as she wants to. I am giving her exposure to the science part but not pushing it on her. Sometimes she goes off and plays, sometimes she helps me mash in. I had so much pride the last time I made a stout and she smelled the crushed grains when I got home from my LHBS and said “that smells like it will be a chocolate coffee beer.” It had 120L, roasted barley and chocolate malts. It did smell like chocolate coffee.

My daughter is 7 and I let her help me brew as much as she wants to. I am giving her exposure to the science part but not pushing it on her. Sometimes she goes off and plays, sometimes she helps me mash in. I had so much pride the last time I made a stout and she smelled the crushed grains when I got home from my LHBS and said “that smells like it will be a chocolate coffee beer.” It had 120L, roasted barley and chocolate malts. It did smell like chocolate coffee.

Wow. Nice apprentice in the brewery :)

The "secret" to brewing with kids around is to do it as a hobby without making an overtly big deal about it. If there are any moral problems with brewing they seem to sprout from bad social behaviors associated with being a drunk or the misperceptions of overly moral Goody Two-Shoes types.
Kids are mimics and will soak up anything and everything, so do your thing without a negative spin or connotation - and remember one thing. You are the first example of behavior the kids will look at to emulate.
Don't be seen drunk. Don't be an ass. Don't let your drinking or brewing take priority over the kids.
Make your hobby as common as possible because it's a historical tradition as old as cooking - but for the "big boys" only. Make that understood and when they ask questions, give 'em straight-up, matter of fact answers.

Welcome back to the hobby, and yea for wanting to be a good role model for your child. You can do that, by not getting drunk and abusive, so your one with dinner or after all the work is done could work. When your child is old enough to be asking questions, you can teach how to be responsible and follow the law, and you can “lock the liquor cabinet” so-to-speak to be sure your house rules are followed.

Daughter is now in college studying microbiology. I've discussed yeast with her many times. We can equate what she learned in class with my brewery experiences.

I wasn’t a great student in science when I was young. Now I wish I had paid more attention in chemistry class now that I am trying to balance water profiles. I feel like if I had been exposed to something, not necessarily brewing, that interested me I would have been a better student.

I try to expose my daughter to many different things from brewing to birds because you never know what kids will be interested in. We even did a physics experiment when I set up a pulley system. I got tired of lifting 11 gallons up to the table for legging. She might not remember the formula about work = distance * force but does remember being able to lift herself easily pulling in the other end of the rope.

Those are legit concerns. I've brewed threw kids and now the grandkids we are in care of, 10/4. Get them involved in little ways. Bottle cleaning, ingredient gathering, etc. They want to be around you and help. Don't discourage that natural process.

Brewing beer is NOT a bad example. Being an everynight face planting azz-wipe of a dad is. Enjoy your hobby. Openly talk about your success and failures. What you'll do differently next time. That teaches critical thinking, probably the most important character in people one can nuture, imho. If you try to hid it, you're teaching them to do the same. You'll regret that when kids are 13. ALWAYS present an open and honest relationship. In the long run, it'll never go wrong! Good luck and brew on!

I wasn’t a great student in science when I was young. Now I wish I had paid more attention in chemistry class now that I am trying to balance water profiles. I feel like if I had been exposed to something, not necessarily brewing, that interested me I would have been a better student.

I feel the same way. Kinda like the Paul Simon song "Kodachrome". "When I think back to all the crap I learned in High School, it's a wonder I can think at all...".

Last edited:
Also, any major changes in the homebrew scene in the last 5 years since I’ve been glued to textbooks and trying to build an adult life?

edit: trying to keep this light with lots of smilies.
  • new IPA sub-styles: NEIPA and Brut IPA. Still no double red ale style from BJCP :no:.
  • Numerous online stores now have good pricing and great shipping options for smaller orders. Free shipping ain't free, it's built into the price of the products.
  • Yakama Valley Hops isn't just for hops any more - they sell dry yeast, malt, ...
  • Bells General Store offers "Two Hearted Centennial Hops" - the hops used in Bells Two Hearted. They also offer kits for many of the Bells commerical beers.
  • Northern Brewer, ZX Ventures, AB InBev. let's not stay on this topic long.
  • Did I mention that Two Hearted Centennial Hops make a positive difference in my single hop Centennial APA/IPAs? :yes:
  • seems like 'problem' beers in forum posts are more likely to be oxidized :mad: than infected :( these days.
  • Cold Mashing (aka non-enzymatic mashing) is real :rock:
  • Basic Brewing Radio's "Hop Sampler" makes SMaSH beers easy and tasty.
  • brulosophy
  • pitching dry yeast without rehydrating :oops:
  • a number of new podcasts, but there seems to be fewer active individual blogs.

I tend to associate my beer and wine with food on most occasions and everything is done in moderation. I've also never had anything stronger than beer or table wine in the house and that removes the temptations for the immature.
Kids seem to have an amplified reaction to flavors they dislike so playing the psychology game with them will sometimes work. I don't know any kid - or adult - who would willingly enjoy sucking on a hop pellet. Associating raw, bitter hops with finished beer will temporarily repel quite a bit of curiosity .... ;)

Here, here. Thumbs up! Unfortunately, seems kids are not taught critical thinking anymore. It's more "follow the herd" type thinking.

All three of ours will be college graduates at some time or another. No flakes or snowflakes here in my home, ist verboten.
Number One is a Montclair State college grad, interested in cooking as a practical art form, and enjoys sharpening his personal set of Damascus culinary knives. After his graduation he's constantly questioning the measured indoctrination from state-sponsored education as it applies to his reality and I'm glad for that.
Numbers Two and Three are cadets going to a mixed civilian military academy with some of the best instructors around. Forty years ago I didn't have that opportunity.

All three of ours will be college graduates at some time or another. No flakes or snowflakes here in my home, ist verboten.
Number One is a Montclair State college grad, interested in cooking as a practical art form, and enjoys sharpening his personal set of Damascus culinary knives. After his graduation he's constantly questioning the measured indoctrination from state-sponsored education as it applies to his reality and I'm glad for that.
Numbers Two and Three are cadets going to a mixed civilian military academy with some of the best instructors around. Forty years ago I didn't have that opportunity.

Does me good to read your post. Good for you and your family. All the best to you.

Last edited:

I know I am new to brewing and I dont know enough to comment on most things. Who is making you feel like a bad role model? Last time I checked that homebrewing was not illegal. I know I have done a lot of stupid stuff in the past and have learned from those mistakes. One thing I have learned is that not including your children in your hobbies only makes things bad. Be honest with them and teach them as much as possible. Do not be ashamed of what you do. Do not live your life to others expectations. All we can do is prepare our children as much as possible for when they leave. And if they go into the world as good people then we have done our job well. Do not hide what you do from them. You never know.......you may raise a great brewmaster. I have 4 kids and love them all dearly. But I will not put on a facade trying to hide things from them. If you only want to brew a couple months at a time then do it. If you want to brew by weekly then do it. Just make sure that you spend the time needed with your children and teach them to be good people.

Thowing is out there because time is always a challenge with a family. As stated I'm time limited but enjoy good brews so started experimenting with cold brew DME only beers. After success, started a thread. If you're interested please read on. Officually completed a successful Hefeweisen and Belgian IPA. More to follow.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/index.php?threads/660329/

Welcome from another Mainiac.
It's good you're thinking about this ahead of time. Lots of good responses. Have to admit I didn't read them all in detail, but did skim.
When the kids are old enough you have the talk about responsibility. In the meantime, you are showing responsibility by not getting drunk when they're around. Enjoy your hobby, and involve them in the cooking process when they are old enough to be safe around hot liquids.

My daughter is about to turn 6 and she helps me whenever she wants. Either spraying sanitizer on anything and everything, helping me grind the grains, mashing in and then just playing with the stuff lying around. I’ll let her taste the wort and grains when she wants. It’s all about setting a good roll model in whatever you do and just spending time with the children.

I am not sure if your "look bad" is because you are neglecting your family to do something you enjoy (brew beer) or more related to enjoying drinking beer which is a "sin" or is immoral. I cannot help on the second part, but a reason I am now divorced (a path I do not recommend) is because I did not have a healthy balance of time focused on my kids, my wife, and myself. If you enjoy brewing beer and drinking craft beer (or playing tennis, or going to concerts, or whatever) I suggest you find time to do those things (in a healthy moderation). I might also suggest you look for ways to reduce the time commitment of brew days (extract brewing? BIAB? indoor electric system? small batch stove top brews?).

You're still a few years away from needing to set an example... Be responsible when drinking.

DAE9990B-EFCD-40E3-B6D2-A281F7260F9E.jpeg
My kids have all helped me out on brew days and we have a blast. My son even made up a new beer recipe for me as a Christmas gift!!

My kids have all helped me out on brew days and we have a blast. My son even made up a new beer recipe for me as a Christmas gift!!

Does your son work in the brewing industry? It seems that most of the local breweries have a Sourgrass Lemongrass Peaches Lime Imperial IPA on tap these days. :)

LOL. I remember one of those sheets that kids fill out in like 1st grade where one of my sons answered a question like "What does your dad like to do?" with "Drink beer" (maybe he said "Make beer"...but I was not brewing much when my kids were young).

Heck , my 9 year old loves to help and I always pour her a cup of the first runnings of sweet wort . She loves to put the hops in and she’s my turn on the water for the chiller person . She also brings her iPod out and plays tunes on the boom box!

One of my big things that I thought long and hard about when my oldest started to get bigger, what I was using for fermenters.
My entire brewing life I had always used glass carboys. I started to look at those long and hard when my oldest started running around and helping me out during brew days. Scared me real good thinking what night happen...
So about a year ago I made the jump to stainless. It's been great!
Just one thing to think about too...
Otherwise, welcome back!

The steel vs. glass issue is a good point.
Early on I'd leave the glass carboy in the kitchen but moved it out to a place less traveled. All it took was one carelessly dropped item to break a three piece airlock and leave a mark on the shoulder of the container. It didn't crack or break but it was a heads-up to change the routine.

Thanks guys! No one in particular is making me worry about it specifically, I guess I’m more or less just a little insecure as parent - not really knowing what’s appropriate I guess and making it up/deciding what is along the way. I enjoy homebrewing, and am really looking forward to getting everything setup at the new place. Just trying to figure out where the line is from having fun and coming across bad is. Just jumped on Great Lakes Hops website, looks like bunches of new varieties are out!

Brewing with infants or toddlers was not a problem for me. OTOH, I quit brewing for 7 years when my daughters were in middle and high school because of all their extracurricular activities and travel. My youngest is a junior in college now so all I worry about is how to pay her tuition.

I brew in the kitchen and it's PITA to do so when everyone is home from college - especially when Number One decides to do his Bobby Flay routine for a few hours at a time. The best time of the year for me to brew is just before or after Thanksgiving and Christmas break.

I engage my three kids in every aspect of brewing at least once. They understand that alcohol is to be treated with respect, especially after the oldest one made some poor decisions before I even started brewing.

I approach beer making like any other culinary experience. They have all tasted pellet hops, grain, wort and even samples of the finished product. There is no shame; it is a craft and it is a form of cooking. Whenever I bring home a new grain bill we all try the unmashed grains and I even tend to get feedback from that. I think that making it plain and open removes any mystique from it. They understand its purpose and effects, and I hope that it makes them more knowledgable, well-rounded individuals.

Wow. Nice apprentice in the brewery :)
My daughter is 13, and I see it the same way. She helps me as well. The last time I brewed, I had a friend over to watch/help who happened to be a highway patrolman. He didn't see anything wrong with it either.

I would say that it's better to be up front and open about it so you don't have to feel like you have to hide it.

When I had kids I switched to pre-hopped kits. No way I want to have 5 gallons of boiling liquid in the same house as a toddler unless there is someone there to follow them around for 4 hours while I brew.

Now, brew days are 30 mins (so this doesn't have to be my one and only hobby) boiling liquid is kept to one gallon. I add copious amounts of dry hops and/or use hop tea to make things more deluxe. Results are incredible from the new Coppers kits. Wife's happy, I'm happy.

If anything you're teaching your kid to respect alcohol if they want to enjoy it. Everyone has some sort of a relationship with alcohol no matter what. Might as well show through example that there's so much more to beer than just consuming it. IMO once I found out about brewing the act of drinking and getting buzzed with friends sort of took a back seat. I was more interested in what my friends thought of my beer and how the changes in my processes would affect my beer. Learning and teaching about yeast and microbiology is a great example of how brewing is so much more than drinking. Creating labels, seeing a long process through to completion, cleanliness, attention to detail, research and critical thinking, etc, etc... we could go on and on about how brewing is a lot more than just drinking and getting a buzz on. I took a while off when my kids were born just because I didn't have time. I wanted to give my best to my kid(s) and wife while also giving my best to my beer too. (no use in half-assing any of it and worrying about finding time as it takes most of the fun out of it) I figured brewing will always be waiting for me whenever I have time for it.

I have 2 kids, 4 and 2, and they both help me on brew day the best they can. I want it to be like cooking for them. Fun and sort of a tradition. You can abuse sugar too but you learn to take everything in moderation. Usually when I feel like my brewing is a bad example it's because I'm feeling guilty about some aspect of it. Like I spend too much time or money on it or maybe one weekend I indulged too much. When this happens I try to show the kids something new like how to ride their bike, or kick a ball, or even just read them some new stories to make up for what I'm feeling bad about. The time when they're little goes by so fast that you can sucked into anything and miss this valuable time with them. Just remember you have to live your life too and you're no help to anyone if you're not happy with yourself

The biggest issue I've found (mine just turned 2) is fitting brewing into the child's schedule. As he's gotten older it's gotten easier. When the weather is nice, he helps mash in, stir, and add hops. Then he runs around kicking his ball or riding is tricycle. I've gotten lax with my process some: mash times are 60ish min, sometimes 120 if I'm needed with him. I use a pond pump and a cooler of ice water to chill. It's not unheard of for me to walk away from it running for an hour. As he's gets older and more independent, I'll tighten the process again. Also don't discount extract batches. A 15-min pale ale is a great way to keep the supply when time is short.

Like other's have said, unless you believe drinking is a sin, then responsible consumption isn't a bad influence. Take a deep breath and let that guilt go.

Congratulations on your family and your accomplishments together.

My little one is almost 2 now, and I have never felt as though I've been a bad role model by allowing her to watch the process. As far as im concerned, shes getting a much clearer idea of what the beautiful art of olde style brewing is. Im sure her generation won't have the same styles and communities that we've built around brewing culture.

Honestly my biggest concern with my little one was keeping her away from the glass carboys. Im a classic guy, and I love my glass carboys and demijons, but they are dangerous. Also the cleaning procedure can be a bit intensive for young skin I think, so I keep her out of that too.

Our culture used to think it strange to under take such a task as ingestion or fermentation WITHOUT the family there. We've kinda moved to this "well maybe the kids shouldn't see this" and "maybe my parents dont need to be bothered by this" mentality.

Ive let my young one pour the yeast in before. She loved it.

Happy brewing! [emoji485][emoji485]

Back