Homebrew on the floor - again....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timsch

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a force carbed Corny keg setup with Perlick faucets that I've been using for maybe 8 years. Over the last year I've developed a leak from one of the faucets that will result in filling the drip tray full enough to make it fall and winding up with about a quart of beer on the ground by the time I go into the room again sometime the next day. Today was probably the 4th time it's happened.

Prior times, I'd fully disassembled the faucet and cleaned it thinking it was just dirty. The next time it happened, I thought maybe it was a pressure issue since I don't always leave the CO2 line open - I'll shut it off at the manifold and open it periodically to fully repressurize it, but then thought maybe it needs more pressure to keep the faucet shut. That didn't fix it either. It's not in a traffic area at all, so it's not getting bumped this many times.

The only post I see like this is here. 5 questions from that post:

1. Which model faucets? - Perlick faucets (630 I think, but not sure)
  2. How touchy are they when opening to pour? - not touchy at all. just right, I'd guess
  3. How long are your beer lines between the kegs and the faucet? What diameter? ~12 ft / 7mm IIRC
  4. What's the serving pressure and temp? 10-12 psi, 5C
  5. Is the tower chilled? Insulated? No tower, collar
So, obviously, I'm WTF. What can I do to make sure there's no 5th time?

Attachments

• IMG_20230502_153154644.jpg
    IMG_20230502_153154644.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Those faucets do look like Perlick 630 model, the spout on that model turns down steeper than the predecessor 525 model spout.

Your operating conditions are fine - there's nothing out of band there.

Three suggestions:

- if you haven't replaced the "floating" O-ring in the spout in some time (years) consider doing so. Like most rubber things it will harden with time becoming less compliant and able to do its job. While you're at it you might as well replace the small O-ring under the faucet lever pivot ball, too.

- when you remove the faucet and replace the O-rings take the time to observe from the shank end of the faucet how the "Perl" ball at the end of the faucet lever that seals the spout hits the "floating" O-ring in the spout. You will find if you tighten the bonnet too much it will cause the ball to hit the O-ring on the high side; conversely if you set the bonnet too loose the ball will hit the O-ring on the low side. You want to adjust the bonnet so the ball hits the O-ring in the center of its travel so you're not demanding much "float" to seal.

perlick_525ss.jpg

- finally, consider installing Intertap faucet return springs. They provide constant pressure beyond the hydraulic pressure that the faucet normally requires to close tight, and I've found them quite helpful when raising/lowering my keezer lid - and when visitors unfamiliar with pouring beer are in the house :)

1683065245055.png

Cheers!

They will definitely fit the 525 & 575 and the 630 & 680. I doubt they'd work behind a 650 flow control faucet as the compensator is in the way, so to speak. As for the venerable 425 with its shuttle closure mechanism, it may well work as that is the predecessor to the Intertap design, after all :)

Cheers!

Back