Retired or just tired

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtchuck

Reaction score
I'm retiring at the end of the school year :D

Gonna sit on the porch, brew in hand and yell at the kids to stay off my lawn.

I have enough projects to keep me busy around the house and SWMBO has decided to continue teaching for another year or so.... I'm thinking it will be a smooth transition.

Any other tired old farts that have advice for me on surviving retirement???

Or are you all young whippersnappers??

In June, I'm going to be working about 10 hours per week from home. I was planning on retiring, but I may just stick with it until the end of next year. Next winter, I'm going to Florida for two weeks for a warm vacation. The following year I plan on being gone for 3-4 months so I'll have to retire by December 2010. So, I'll be retiring sometime between this June and 18 months later.

Let me know how much brewing you get to do- I might have to retire sooner than I plan if I can brew more often!

In June, I'm going to be working about 10 hours per week from home. I was planning on retiring, but I may just stick with it until the end of next year. Next winter, I'm going to Florida for two weeks for a warm vacation. The following year I plan on being gone for 3-4 months so I'll have to retire by December 2010. So, I'll be retiring sometime between this June and 18 months later.

Let me know how much brewing you get to do- I might have to retire sooner than I plan if I can brew more often!

:off:What part of Florida you thinking about Yoop?

As for retirement, 12-15 more years for me most likely:(:mad:

Retire? At your age? I wish I could pull that off. We're about the same age and I'm looking at ten more years. :(

:off:What part of Florida you thinking about Yoop?

As for retirement, 12-15 more years for me most likely:(:mad:

Carrabelle area for next winter- St. George's Island, etc. We're renting a house for two weeks, for some fishing, hiking, and relaxing. I like south Florida better, as far as weather and beaches, but it's way too crowded for us Yoopers down there. Noise, crowds, traffic, etc don't agree with us wilderness folks for very long. A couple of days in Fort Lauderdale is great- but only just a couple!

It's funny that we're talking about retirement today. I was just offered a long term, very good job, which I turned down. My supervisor told me that she's retiring in 20 years, and would like to keep me until then. I laughed but was still flattered when I said "Heck no!"

I'm 54 and I'd like to "retire" tomorrow. But......I watched my father in law in retirement. He worked 45 years at a cardboard factory, and when we went bowling, he would roll the ball so hard I was sure he would break the pins.

Two years after retirement, he could barely get the ball to the end of the lane. I looked at that, said to myself,"If that's retirement, count me out!"

Im 42 and not retired yet, but being self employed is giving me some free time, and having time consuming hobbies like Brewing and "music playing/recording" in my case keep me very busy, plus i fix just about anything around a house.

So i say it depends on personality types, some people might miss their co workers, the habit of going to the work place and such, i say keep your mind and body active and busy with all sorts of stuff you enjoy (and even some stuff you had put aside in the past cause you didnt have time for it) and retirement will be great!

Carrabelle area for next winter- St. George's Island, etc. We're renting a house for two weeks, for some fishing, hiking, and relaxing. I like south Florida better, as far as weather and beaches, but it's way too crowded for us Yoopers down there. Noise, crowds, traffic, etc don't agree with us wilderness folks for very long. A couple of days in Fort Lauderdale is great- but only just a couple!

It's funny that we're talking about retirement today. I was just offered a long term, very good job, which I turned down. My supervisor told me that she's retiring in 20 years, and would like to keep me until then. I laughed but was still flattered when I said "Heck no!"

I'm on the west coast which isn't as crowded as the East, and there are a lot of Yooper's here:D(and you can buy a ton of house for next to nothing now)

If everything goes as planned, we will be spending alot of time in Germany when we retire.

Have to get back at all those inlaws who have been spending alot of time here.

We retired at age 52 in 2005. Now we have no money but are very happy. Drive old cars, wear clothes from Target, and drink homebrew.

Wife taught 1st and 3rd grade for 29 yrs and I was analytical chemist. We don't feel at all that our educations are now wasted.

We live on 10 acres and have bees, blueberries, big garden, flowers, etc to keep us busy. Also have painted house, remodeled one bath, working on second bath now, and turned half bath into a brew room. Try to walk or bike every day.

If you get bored, volunteer at church, hospital, library, or food bank.

Retirement is great if you know how to enjoy life. Doing things like homebrewing and growing and preserving your own food keeps you feeling useful.

I'll be 50 in a month and haven't worked much in the past year. I've done a lot of things around the house in the past year. Finished the basement, built a 100' retaining wall and various other projects. Wife wants me to either retire or semi-retire. I'm running out of house projects and beginning to get bored. I want to go back to work but it seems that the older I get the faster time goes by and work makes it go even faster. I'm thinking semi- retire but I know as soon as I start somewhere they'll be asking me to work overtime.

I "retired" four years ago at 53 and then got involved in a startup. I also moved to rural Oregon and have been trying to get my 11 acres under control. It was a rental for a long time and is badly overgrown. I certainly do not miss my co-workers or living so close to my neighbors that I can't tell who's phone is ringing.

I hopefully have 30 more years before retirement. But both my mother and father retired within the last few years.

My mom: "Now I have all the free time to quilt!"
My Dad: "I'm so busy, I want to go back to work so I can relax!---(laughs)"

B

We retired at age 52 in 2005. Now we have no money but are very happy. Drive old cars, wear clothes from Target, and drink homebrew.

We live on 10 acres and have bees, blueberries, big garden, flowers, etc to keep us busy. Also have painted house, remodeled one bath, working on second bath now, and turned half bath into a brew room. Try to walk or bike every day.

If you get bored, volunteer at church, hospital, library, or food bank.

Retirement is great if you know how to enjoy life. Doing things like homebrewing and growing and preserving your own food keeps you feeling useful.

We have a big old house (1825) & barn and my wife is already formulating the project list. And I'll be taking on most of the housework when she's at work. Ought to keep me going until she retires in a year or two.

I'm most concerned about making it through the late winter / early spring up here...mud season... a pretty bleak and miserable time of year.

But next September, when the school buses roll again, is going to be sweet :D

I figure if I'm lucky I have another..oh say... 30-35 years. I'd love to retire at 55 but probably more like 60 if even then. I'm really trying to get a jump start on retirement savings.

I'm really trying to get a jump start on retirement savings.

Fortunately, I have a state pension. Not a huge amount of $, but excellent health bennies. Knowing that our income would drop, we concentrated on eliminating payments: mortgage, car, college and invested a modest amount in TDA's/401K. Right now, that looks like an excellent strategy as our retirement investments are down about 35%, but mortgage is paid, no college loans. When we had a little extra, we would add it to the monthly mortgage payment. YMMV

Yeah I can't wait till our student loans are paid off. But it's a small price to pay to be able to have a job that enables those payments to be a small price to pay :D And then of course the mortgage that will never go away. Only about 3.5 years into it.

Back