Restarting 3724

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldogwinters

Reaction score
So first off, this is my first attempt with any saison so I'm new to this yeast. my LHBS doesn't generally stock saison yeasts, so I got lucky when they had one..

Anyway, I was planning on bottling this earlier today, but when I transferred and took a gravity reading I realized my gravity was WAY too high. OG was 1.074 and today it was right around that 1.035 range. I had planned on washing and storing this strain anyways since it's not usually available locally so I collected a few jars and pitched it into my secondary. After a few hours i've got a quarter inch layer of krausen and decent airlock activity.

So my question is this: With just repitching and ramping the temp up slowly over the next few days do you think I'll be able to get my 3724 to go all the way to attenuation? I'm still fairly new to brewing and this is my first experience with a stuck fermentation..
any help is appreciated!

thanks in advance!

That yeast is famous for stalling at about 1.035. I have never had a problem but I always start fermenting in the low 70's and slowly ramp the temp up to the high 80's. Doing that usually gets my brew down to 1.002-1.004.

What temp are you at now? Get it up as high as you can, all the way up to 90 if you can. Just start ramping it up slowly until you get it very warm.

Here is a good thread about that yeast. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/wyeast-3724-belgian-saison-they-were-right-131071/

I brought it up to the mid 80's overnight.. I think repitching may have saved this batch though, checked my gravity and it's down from 1.035 to 1.18 overnight! I'm going to check it again this weekend and see if it's down to my target of 1.010

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Depending on the recipe your FG should get lower. Brew software does not do a good job predicting FG on some of these type of yeasts.

Give it enough time to make sure it is totally finished.

I'll do that, it was originally supposed to be a gift for a friend... But since I'm off my schedule already I'll probably give it another 2-3 weeks. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back