Replacing British Pale Ale malt with American 2-row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankvw

Reaction score
Cheers, everyone,

I'm hoping to brew an Irish Red Ale, which calls for 11.25lb (5.1kg) of British Pale Ale malt. Here in South Africa the staple malt is pale malt, which is essentially American 2-row. Other malts are all imported from Far Far Away Land and are therefore rather expensive.

From what I've read in other posts here and elsewhere, I can replace the British Pale Ale malt with American 2-row, and add some Munich to supply the colour and maltiness that the Pale Ale malt has but the American 2-row all by itself lacks. However, none of the posts I've seen tells me how much Munich to add.

So. What percentage of Munich (or other malt, if there is a better candidate) should I add to American 2-row in order to mimic the character of British Pale Ale malt?

All suggestions and pointers into the right direction are greately appreciated!!

// FvW

While it won't be exactly the same, subbing 20% Munich for 2 row should get you in the ballpark. Alternatively, you might try going 100% Vienna malt if you have that available to you. Again, not the same thing, but would probably do the job alright.

While it won't be exactly the same, subbing 20% Munich for 2 row should get you in the ballpark. Alternatively, you might try going 100% Vienna malt if you have that available to you. Again, not the same thing, but would probably do the job alright.

That tells me all I need to know. :) Thank you very much!!

// FvW

I'd use a little biscuit malt if you have that available to you as well. Maybe 70-75% 2-row, 20% munich, 5-10% biscuit.

Back