Replace evaporated water during boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmaxdmax

Reaction score
My next (2nd) brew will be a Belgian Tripel extract. The recipe calls for a 2 gallon boil which is at least 1 less than I did for my Wheat. With 20ish minutes steeping plus an hour boil it will lose a significant portion of the initial volume. Is this ok and means I'll be adding 3.5 gallons at the end?

I'll keep the lid on while steeping but not boiling.

(I have some ingredient questions but will post to the recipe forum)

What I meant to ask is should I add 1/4 cup at a time to keep it at 2 gallons without coming off the boil?

What I meant to ask is should I add 1/4 cup at a time to keep it at 2 gallons without coming off the boil?

You can add more as you boil, but if you have room in your pot, you can start with more than 2 gallons. The instructions just give "generic" instructions. If you can boil more, then the beer will be lighter colored and less "cooked extract-y".

There are other techniques, too, that can help you make a less extract-y tasting beer and that will produce a lighter color. One is very simple- just add 1/2 of the extract near the end of the boil instead of the beginning. Extract has already been processed, so there isn't any need to boil it again. But you need to boil the wort to extract the bittering potential from the hops.

In short, boil as much volume as you can (no need to go as low as 2 gallons unless that's the most your stove will boil), and add 1/2 the extract at the end of the boil. That will give you better extract beer.

You can add more as you boil, but if you have room in your pot, you can start with more than 2 gallons. The instructions just give "generic" instructions. If you can boil more, then the beer will be lighter colored and less "cooked extract-y".

There are other techniques, too, that can help you make a less extract-y tasting beer and that will produce a lighter color. One is very simple- just add 1/2 of the extract near the end of the boil instead of the beginning. Extract has already been processed, so there isn't any need to boil it again. But you need to boil the wort to extract the bittering potential from the hops.

In short, boil as much volume as you can (no need to go as low as 2 gallons unless that's the most your stove will boil), and add 1/2 the extract at the end of the boil. That will give you better extract beer.

There's a pound of Candi Sugar - should that get split as well or all go in up front?

The recipe calls for finishing hops 2 minutes before the end. Should I add the DME just before that to make sure it dissolves?

Other thought - I can boil at least 4 gallons (maybe 5) but it will take much longer to get it down to pitching temp. I don't have an immersion chiller. Is the increased boil-volume worth the increased time to cool?

There's a pound of Candi Sugar - should that get split as well or all go in up front?

The recipe calls for finishing hops 2 minutes before the end. Should I add the DME just before that to make sure it dissolves?

Yes, you can do that. Take it off the heat and whisk it in, then put it back on the heat.

I would probably put the sugar in at the end, too, or with 15 minutes left in the boil. Since it's a tripel, I assume you have lots of malt and sugars. Adding much of it late in the boil would probably give you a lot more "space" for boiling from the beginning but make sure you have enough room in your pot to add that much extract and sugar near the end!

Other thought - I can boil at least 4 gallons (maybe 5) but it will take much longer to get it down to pitching temp. I don't have an immersion chiller. Is the increased boil-volume worth the increased time to cool?

Yes, but still do your best to cool quickly with the ice bath. It helps if you stir both the water bath and the wort gently, to avoid hot spots on the pot. You may considering adding the late extract at flame out. It would be hot enough to pasteurize the extract, but the extract will also help to cool the wort a bit.

Back