Repitching to increase attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
Hey everyone, Last night i pitched a wyeast smack pack activator Irish ale yeast without a starter(thinking I would be ok with an OG of 1.041) into a Dry stout. turned out I way overshot my efficiency (and overshot my evaporation rate) and ended up with an OG of 1.057.

With this increased original gravity, I realize I may have slightly underpitched by not making a starter, and I also noticed I should have picked a more attenuative yeast strain to get a dryer profile. It has been about 15 hours since I pitched the smackie-pack, theres about a 1 inch kreusen in the carboy, I am about to pitch a half a packet of Nottingham (or the whole thing), SHOULD I DO IT? I want to dry this baby out nice, I got a nitro faucet waiting for her.

Will the yeast strains fight each other or autolsyze or something else bad? maybe I should wait until fermentation is over?

I really want to nail this brew, I dont get to homebrew often. Some advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks a lot

You could pitch it now, but unless you are planning on using the rest of the Nottingham within two weeks, you may as well pitch the whole packet. Dry yeast will absorb water from the air & die once the packet is opened.

There are yeast strains that will clump when mixed, but it isn't a common problem.

Back