Removing fruit and allowing beer to age further

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDance

Reaction score
Hello HBT!
A question for those wiser and more experienced than myself...
I've got a blueberry blonde ale in secondary now. Added a couple pounds of blueberries to my FastFerment after primary fermentation was done. Everything is going well. There is a second fermentation happening slowly.
When the secondary fermentation is done and I remove the blueberries, can I leave the beer to age a bit longer? Or do I have to bottle right away?
Any help would be great!

You can leave it as long as all the fruit is removed....if you leave some fruit it can cause astringency just like wine gets from grape skins. Maybe not all fruit but some will for sure..not sure about blue berry's specifically.

You can leave it as long as all the fruit is removed....if you leave some fruit it can cause astringency just like wine gets from grape skins. Maybe not all fruit but some will for sure..not sure about blue berry's specifically.

Thanks! I was hoping that I could still leave it to age further. I have all the blueberries in a hop sock so I should be able to remove them all.

Another consideration though is if you have a large yeast cake still reaming it can scrub some flavors out while it conditions..this is one reason people still rack to secondary for fruit beers. Beauty of your Fast is you can drain that off too :)

Another consideration though is if you have a large yeast cake still reaming it can scrub some flavors out while it conditions..this is one reason people still rack to secondary for fruit beers. Beauty of your Fast is you can drain that off too :)

Not much yeast left. Already dumped a full collection ball of yeast.
If I dump the last bit before I remove the fruit that may help to keep the flavor.
Then I may cold crash to get any other "stuff" out.

Back