Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When this was on the back of your bedroom door.

Not on the back of my door, but I sure spent a whole lotta time holding it up with one hand

:O

Actually, former owner of our house left their copy here when they moved out. If I had known Farrah was going to die a week (it was actually 2 months - grog)after we moved in, I would have talked the BigHair out of throwing it out

I had one of these in '72.

thVU9NELN9.jpg

And they’d check your oil and wash the windshield while the gas was pumping.

Many modern cars don’t even have a dipstick. There’s a fancy new BMW where the purchaser can’t even open the hood.

Keeping with the car theme.....

Back (way back) in the day, windshield wipers were powered by engine vacuum. Going downhill, they'd be screaming like banshees. Uphill, a maddening crawl. I recall a trip to Lake Tahoe in the family station wagon in blizzard conditions. On the pull up to the summit, suckers had inch of snow piled up before wipers started the return cycle. Dad drove with head stuck out the (roll down) window until we began the descent. Pre-SUV so everyone was running chains doing 3 MPH and it took forever - and all us kids had to pee the last hour....

I have a couple of vacuum wiper motors in my garage. They were supposed to go with the '59 Edsel when I sold it, but I couldn't find them when the guy picked it up. I found a couple on Ebay and with some cleaning and a little lube got one of them in good working order. Interesting little devices. Best suited for casual use in show cars.

20171117_161508 (1024x1018).jpg

24 years ago we put up an above ground pool and built a deck around it. This week we took it all down and these were under the deck. My daughter(a true beer geek) was very puzzled by Bud Dry. I can't even remember when Bud Dry came out or if it even exists today

Molson still makes "Molson Dry". I pick some up at duty free every time I cross the border.

Last edited:
I wanna be a "well-know member" too.

I remember buying cig's for my mom at 12 years old. Nobody questioned anything. Mom's in the car. And they were only $1.25 at the time.

The local hardware store had a tube testing station.

They sure did, back when there were local hardware stores.

And some had a Hobby Section where you could get refills for your children's Chemistry Set (age 6-12?). Very handy, since I seemed to run out of "KNO3", "CaCl2O2" and "S" all the time. Charcoal was seasonal: Pops was hard sell to buy briquets in dead of winter. Learned to squirrel some away :)

Pretty cool to hop on my bike, return bottles for deposit (remember when?), hit hardware store to replenish and ride home to create some "entertainment".

I wanna be a "well-know member" too.

I remember buying cig's for my mom at 12 years old. Nobody questioned anything. Mom's in the car. And they were only $1.25 at the time.

I remember going to the store and getting my mom’s cigs for $0.50. And she would write her Sears credit card # on a piece of paper and I’d walk to the mall and get Wranglers.

I remember as a kid riding my bike with my friends to the local candy store. They had a soda jerk and made fresh fountain drinks. We used to get egg cream sodas. The guy would take seltzer water and milk, and squirt chocolate syrup in the glass and stir it up real good in a soda fountain glass and serve. We loved those drinks. They had no eggs or cream in them but that's what the drink was called. We would get an egg cream with a cheeseburger and fries, and the whole thing cost less than three dollars!

John

McDonald's had an ad campaign for a meal costing less than a dollar. Burger, fires, soft drink, and the jingle was "change back in your pocket!"
"45 cents for a three course meal." $0.15 for a burger, $0.10 for fries, an $0.20 for a shake.

Brew on :mug:

Filling an entire brown bag (I think maybe a lunch bagsize) full of terrible candy for just a buck. Sugar buttons, coke bottles, wax lips (yum).. all the good stuff. Hard pressed to get a single candy bar for that price these days.

Does anyone from the North East remember watching "Wonderama" as a kid? It was a kid's tv show with host Bob McAllister and they had various different music artists on every week like "The Jackson 5", "Van Halen", "The Bay City Rollers" (remember them!), etc. and also Johnny Bench, Reggie Jackson and countless others. They also showed the "Looney Tunes" cartoons during the three hour show on Sunday mornings. Bugs Bunny was was pretty cool back then. It was the thing to watch as a kid.....

John

Remember relearning not to over correct the steering when radial tires came into use. The bias ply studded tires were still good and installed on the rear for winter driving with the radial tires on the front.

Bazooka bubble gum and other old school candies are still available at B E Sweeties candy company on Brookpark Rd in Cleveland, OH. Got Halloween stuff there this year. Be prepared to pay for it, though. Including grape NEHI! I remember getting regular gas for 25c and cigs for 35c. Quart of Stroh's was about $1.50.

Not sure about the physical phone itself, but our company had to shut down our toll-free 1-800 number because of a robo-dialing payphone

You see, the government says you don't need to put any money into a payphone to call 911 or a toll-free number, so the owner of the payphone gets reimbursed for the call. And the owner of the toll-free number pays for each call, part of which goes to the payphone owner for that reimbursement

So, there was a "payphone" in NYC making robocalls to our number 24/7, racking up some serious $. All legit & government sanctioned.

Our phone company doesn't let us block calls from payphones, so instead of finding one that would, we got rid of our 1-800 number

huh...those bag ties are still here with all big trashbags or small bread bags....as for winter tyres, I hate driving on non-studded tyres, and every test i've seen shows they are inferior in actual winter weather compared to studded, since we have 5 months of winter......

Latest posts

Back