Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta ask, if that wasn't your first.. how many times have you had a gun pulled on you?
Second time was uniformed officer. Use to head to the bad section of town to buy when underage. Slipped into an alley to divy the booze out of a duffel bag when we heard "freeze" Robbery just happened around the corner. Instant puddling.

Remember when you used these two objects combined?

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAaEAAAAJDg5ZDEyNDYwLTc4NDctNGZiOS04ZTU2LWY0MTBmOGJlNjUyNA.png

Sticking with the picture theme: we had something like this as a kid. The seats flipped up covering the spare tire on the floor and maybe a can of gas. The most dangerous thing was the back of the seat was made of sheet metal and would definitely cut you if not carefulView attachment 418629

And we all smoked stuff back there

skitchin', bumper skiing... whatever you want to call it

after it snowed, before the streets were plowed (or even after, if it was a big enough snow), would grab a passing car's bumper and let it drag you down the street. first did this in northern Virginia, you could basically count on 1 good snow a season to do this.

after HS, I moved to Atlanta and the very first winter we had a big snowstorm (same storm hit DC & Air Florida 90 went into the Potomac). well... 4 inches over 3 days in Atlanta is a HUGE storm, especially when it would thaw only a little during the day, then freeze overnight, then another inch of snow

so, since I seemed to be the only person in the city who knew how to drive in that kind of weather, it was me driving my '75 Skylark down the frozen/snowy road & a dozen drunken Georgia rednecks hanging off the sides and back of my car

Now that is a flashback, I remember skitchin! When I was a kid in New York after a good snow fall, we would wait in the bushes at the corner house. When a car (usually driven by an elderly person) would stop at the stop sign we would sneak up to the rear of the car, grab the bumper and get in a sitting position and go for a ride on the snow covered street. The UPS drivers were the best when they figured out you were riding on the back they would fishtail on purpose to knock you off into the snow bank on the sides of the road.

Then one day we got caught by Officer Sullivan. I'll never forget this, Officer Sullivan lined us all up on the sidewalk and gave us a good chewing out. Then as he drove away one of my crazier friends was riding on the back of Officer Sullivan's cruiser and he waived to us as he went by!! Great memory!

John

Trying to listen in on the party lines, or just trying to get a chance to call your friend to see if he was home, before you walked or rode your bike a mile to visit.

I want to say it was NBC broadcast a NFL game w/o announcers....just “sounds of the game”?

wish that was an option these days, I'm tired of the idiots on the TV, think I'd rather hear the stadium announcer

then again, I usually turn down the TV and listen to the radio announcers

Sonny, Larry, Cooley & Doc! HTTR!

don't know why, but I started thinking and trying to remember a clock our family had when I was growing up. moved around with us (Dad was Army) quite a bit, I remember it hanging on different walls, but couldn't remember the exact pattern

REMEMBER WHEN... something like this would remain a mystery?

today: 1 minute and a Google image search later

il_570xN.777268114_g99w.jpg

Actually ROLLING the window down. And reaching all the way across the cabin to roll the passenger side window down.

Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray
South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio
Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, Television
North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe

I remember leaving the house in the AM, returning to a sandwich handed out the screen door at noon, drinking from the hose, and peeing in the woods. We built forts, bridges across the creek, walked or rode our bikes, and didn’t come home until the street lights came on.

Never had a car that had that, though this side of the puddle we have too many manual geared cars to make that practical anyway.

At least 2 of the cars I had with floor dimmer switch also had a clutch. I doubt there was ever a time where I needed to do both at the same time.

Harry Truman, Doris Day, Red China, Johnnie Ray
South Pacific, Walter Winchell, Joe DiMaggio
Joe McCarthy, Richard Nixon, Studebaker, Television
North Korea, South Korea, Marilyn Monroe

The other night I drifted nice continental drift divide
Mountains sit in a line, Leonard Bernstein
Leonid Brezhnev, Lenny Bruce and Lester Bangs
Birthday party, cheesecake, jellybean, boom
You symbiotic, patriotic, slam but neck, right, right

B.B. Bumble and the Stingers, Mott the Hoople, Ray Charles Singers
Lonnie Mack and twangin' Eddy, here's my ring we're goin' steady
Take it easy, take me higher, liar liar, house on fire
Locomotion, Poco, Passion, Deeper Purple, Satisfaction
Baby baby gotta gotta gimme gimme gettin' hotter
Sammy's cookin', Lesley Gore and Ritchie Valens, end of story
Mahavishnu, fujiyama, kama-sutra, rama-lama
Richard Perry, Spector, Barry, Archies, Righteous, Nilsson, Harry
Shimmy shimmy ko-ko bop and Fats is back and Finger Poppin'

Word salad lyrics, FTW!

I remember leaving the house in the AM, returning to a sandwich handed out the screen door at noon, drinking from the hose, and peeing in the woods. We built forts, bridges across the creek, walked or rode our bikes, and didn’t come home until the street lights came on.

I hate being a grown-up!

Latest posts

Back