Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remember when hot air balloons filled you with a sense of wonder and did not remind you of those awful work place posters that emulate admirable traits with abstract pictures?

I do.

Remember looking at the African titties in National Geographic in the school library? HA! :D
Regards, GF.

Or the underwear sections of the Sears Roebuck or Montgomery Wards catalog? heck for that matter, remember Montgomery Wards Stores? Woolworths? real Five and Dime stores.

When I was a child...during the time when dinosaurs freely roamed the earth...my mother and I would take the city bus to downtown Milwaukee. Of course, that was BSM, also known as "Before Shopping Malls." We would always have lunch at the counter at Woolworth's, and that's where I learned to LOVE bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches! But then, the dinosaurs died and capitalists built shopping mall after shopping mall, and I grew up.

glenn514:mug:

When I was a child...during the time when dinosaurs freely roamed the earth...my mother and I would take the city bus to downtown Milwaukee. Of course, that was BSM, also known as "Before Shopping Malls." We would always have lunch at the counter at Woolworth's, and that's where I learned to LOVE bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches! But then, the dinosaurs died and capitalists built shopping mall after shopping mall, and I grew up.

And don't forget the flint knives & bear skins! :D We had Woolworth's & Grant's as well. Both the original families stores. But in downtown Elyria,we also had a early victorian Era one called Neisner Bros 5 & 10c store. Dark carved wooden panels,a staircase to the second floor rivaling the Grand Staircase on the Titanic as well. Even the very old school soda fountain,just like my mother remembered. When I was a kid,she'd take me shopping with her To help carry packages home. Not to mention,the way a proper lady dressed in those days. But we always stopped by Neisner's soda fountain for a burger with "Coke & soda". How many on here remember that bit??:tank:

And don't forget the flint knives & bear skins! :D We had Woolworth's & Grant's as well. Both the original families stores. But in downtown Elyria,we also had a early victorian Era one called Neisner Bros 5 & 10c store. Dark carved wooden panels,a staircase to the second floor rivaling the Grand Staircase on the Titanic as well. Even the very old school soda fountain,just like my mother remembered. When I was a kid,she'd take me shopping with her To help carry packages home. Not to mention,the way a proper lady dressed in those days. But we always stopped by Neisner's soda fountain for a burger with "Coke & soda". How many on here remember that bit??:tank:

I remeber my Grandmother taking us kids into a store like that in Zanesville Ohio. Beautiful paneling and wall papers, wonderful lights and chandeleers, all across 2 floors and a basement. They had their 2nd hand goods in the basement. And there was a soda joint down on the corner, seems like it was near the 'Y' Bridge but I can't remember the names of those places for the life of me. And of course, they are long gone.

Matter of fact,the few times I've been to Zaynesville,I'm almost sure I was in that one. I remember a feeling of de ja vue' from down there. Such beautiful furnishings in those old stores. It's a crime they're gone now,what with the titanic movie & exhibits & all. That staircase was virtually the same as the titanic one. Real old world hand craftsmanship...def lost on the modern revised futurama version of art deco world we live in.
The whole thing makes me think of this song from Big Chuck-n-lil John,who one a Tony award for this;

Last edited by a moderator:
High beams on the floor. Glass fuses. Cloth wire. I have a tool from my grandpa, or something outlawed by the Geneva Convention, I'm not sure, that looks like a railroad spike with a wooden handle and cloth wires. It's either a soldering iron or a wood burning tool. Maybe. It still gets hot.

Remember dragging a sprinkler all over the yard to water the lawn?

As much of a pain in the ass as it was dragging sprinklers all over the yard, it is also a pain in the ass replacing the whole automatic sprinkler valve manifold. Still can't get valve #4 to completely open from the controller.

Air and water used to be free at the gas station.

Remember the air hose that rang the service bell when you ran over it? Back when they were called "Service Stations."

I also remember going with my dad to park the car in line to get gas the next day during the gas shortage. Odd/even days corresponding to your license plate number dictated which day you could buy gas -- if it was available.

Remember the shoeshine stands outside the barbershop or in the train stations/bus stations/airports?
Remember when they used to use real plaster & lath for interior walls?

Remember when you were a kid & your dad would take you to the barber for your "summer haircut." The Army calls it a "mighty fine," others call it a buzz or a burr, but the fact that you no longer had any hair wasn't so bad after your friends got the same haircut.

Remember sitting on the curb, eating a popsicle you got for a dime from the icecream truck?
Remember your Davy Crockett or Daniel Boone coonskin hat?
Remember using all the dental floss to make a trap to catch an animal of some sort?
Regards, GF.

Regards, GF.

I still have lath and plaster (and horse hair) in my flat. Original from 1850's. It's a complete nightmare to be honest. Though in the living room when we lifted the wall paper of the walls we found a section where people who previously decorated has been signing it from about 1907 to the present day. I signed it too of course :)

I have lath and plaster too. My house turned 75 this year.

I also discovered that some walls have rubber insulation in them between the lathe. I found this out while trying to hammer a nail into one and it bounced back at me.

Remember when you got 12 hours of sleep and it was enough? You woke up refreshed instead of hating the world and everything in it.

gratus fermentatio said:

I work for a tile contractor and it is still pretty common to use lath and plaster on walls that are going to receive tile.

Remember the shoeshine stands outside the barbershop or in the train stations/bus stations/airports?

Remember when you were a kid & your dad would take you to the barber for your "summer haircut." The Army calls it a "mighty fine," others call it a buzz or a burr, but the fact that you no longer had any hair wasn't so bad after your friends got the same haircut.

Remember sitting on the curb, eating a popsicle you got for a dime from the icecream truck?
Remember your Davy Crockett or Daniel Boone coonskin hat?
Remember using all the dental floss to make a trap to catch an animal of some sort?
Regards, GF.
We had an old shoe repair shop in Elyria,OH that had nearly one whole side for shoe shines. They even did minor sewing repairs on the fly. My dad taught me the lime/lath/plaster kind of walls when I was young. It's def a lost art. And the 10-15c 7up popsicles at the stand by the playground in Cascade Park (cool name for a park looking back,huh!?) & the ever not so popular summer crew cut at Kosco's barber shop. I remember mom asking me how I felt after the 1st one. I said I felt like a peeled onion...How bout the Harley Davidson cop sorta hats?
Remember when you got 12 hours of sleep and it was enough? You woke up refreshed instead of hating the world and everything in it.

I kinda sorta maybe faguely remember sleeping that long. If I slept that long today,I'd wonder if the Dr had paid a visit!...:D

OT - if you have wallpaper on plaster walls in an old house and don't want to remove it for fear of finding 7 layers of wallpaper (like my living room), here's what you do:

1. Sand the wallpaper lightly.
2. Drywall mud the seams.
3. Sand the mud.
4. Mud the seams again.
5. Sand the mud again.
6. Prime with a non-water based primer.
7. Prime again.
8. Paint.
9. Paint again.

I find it interesting to see that some "old school" stuff has died earlier in the US than Canada. My mom, in the small town I grew up in (near Montreal), still goes to the old shoe cobbler, the gent went to shoemaking school because he was mute/deaf. Very common back in the day. He still operates his shop 5 days of the week.

Mom was still getting milk delivered to the door until about 5-6 years ago, when the milkman retired.

MC

I have lath and plaster too. My house turned 75 this year.

I also discovered that some walls have rubber insulation in them between the lathe. I found this out while trying to hammer a nail into one and it bounced back at me.

This happened to me as well. I think what happened was that the lath broke between the studs and it was springing back when I was trying to hammer in a nail. Definitely was like there was rubber inside the wall.

I find it interesting to see that some "old school" stuff has died earlier in the US than Canada. My mom, in the small town I grew up in (near Montreal), still goes to the old shoe cobbler, the gent went to shoemaking school because he was mute/deaf. Very common back in the day. He still operates his shop 5 days of the week.

Mom was still getting milk delivered to the door until about 5-6 years ago, when the milkman retired.

MC

There are a couple of cobblers here in the denver area, and a few places that deliver milk, cheese, eggs, etc. The difference between now and then is you didnt have a choice

I had cheese and milk delivered weekly until about 8 years ago. Then they stuck a $5 fuel surcharge on my bill. I said, for $5 I can drive to the grocery store 50 times.

Hmmmm...I guess I must go back a bit further than most of you. I can remember during my freshman year in college I worked part-time at a gas station. On Sundays, the boss would close the repair bays, and all we'd do is pump gas. And the boss made sure we were a cent or two cheaper than any of the closest stations. And we sold gas for...wait for it...

TWENTY-SEVEN CENTS A GALLON! Most cars could fill up for about five bucks!

!9-21 cents a gallon when I was in high school, depending on which stations were having the price war. WTF is a cell phone? Only Dick Tracy could talk without his phone plugging into the wall. Also, listening for the ring pattern on the party line so you only answered your phone calls, not the ones for your neighbors. Yes, I'm old. Now get off my lawn.

The biggest issue I have with old lath and plaster is that as the house moves through the decades, the lath comes away from the plaster. You then get springy bits in the wall. Hopefully this wasn't what you had as you can get bouncy wall from it.

In one of my rooms there was a bouncy section about a foot square so I thought I'd rip it out and replaster. Had to take half the plaster off. One good thing though is that I've discovered that I am absolutely pants at plastering.

Getting plastered though....

I'm pretty sure I didn't have this. I was hammering a nail. I was through the plaster and through the lathe and hit something that was solid and rubbery. It felt like trying to hammer into a really dense tire.

You don't have to tell me about the house settling though. When I had the bathroom remodeled, I told the contractor "You can't make it square. If its square, it will be the only room in the house that is square and it will interfere with the Feng Shui."

Square rooms? You're telling me! The wife wants the radiators moved underneath the windows in all the rooms, the only problem is that the floor and the windows aren't parallel. Makes it REAL fun trying to get it not look goofy.

I think I remodeled 2 rooms of the house before I bought a spirit level.

Remember getting a vanilla/lemon/chocolate Coke at the drugstore or soda fountain?
Remember those wax lips? Or those little wax bottles with the syrup inside? and you'd chew the wax like gum.

Anybody remember the sawmills/factories that would sound an "air raid" siren or steam whistle at noon or some other time of day?

Square rooms? You're telling me! The wife wants the radiators moved underneath the windows in all the rooms, the only problem is that the floor and the windows aren't parallel. Makes it REAL fun trying to get it not look goofy.

I think I remodeled 2 rooms of the house before I bought a spirit level.

Hahaha!

I took the shelving down in our kitchen while I was painting it. When it came time to hang it back up, I told my wife, "I can make it level or make it look right. I can't do both."

Was helping teach Billiards to my housemate's daughter this afternoon.

I was a year older than her when I started playing kids for money at the youth center. I was a year older than that when my mom busted me for playing kids for money.

We had a shoe repair shop on our street in the 80s. There was one on Magazine in NO til at least some time in the 90s. That guy did heavy sewing too.

I hear ya on nothing square. Nothing seems to be a standard or common size either.

Was helping teach Billiards to my housemate's daughter this afternoon.

I was a year older than her when I started playing kids for money at the youth center. I was a year older than that when my mom busted me for playing kids for money.

Good man.. Great sport.. Things have changed since my first days in the dark dens of iniquity that were pool rooms back in the late fifties and early sixties.

It kept my pockets full of spending money during my high school and college years.:D

bosco

Back