Remember to aerate!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3rdto1st

Reaction score
Ok, so this is obviously old news to most, but I learned just how important it is recently.

I recently brewed, pitched, and left it alone. Nothing really happened at all, no bubbles, no krausen, nothing, and I was worried that maybe my roomate had turned off the AC (its been really warm here, think 95+) and fermentation might have finished with all the worng alcohols. We had the bright idea of shaking it up, and now it's going like mad with a nice 1/2" thick foam.

So, if you pitched a starter, waited 3 days, etc. and know you did everything else right, ask yourself, "did I remember to shake it?"

I mostly use dry yeast, I punched a pin hole in the siphon hose at the top and it does a good job sucking air in the flow
within 12 hours the blow off tube is puukking
if you don't want aeration then use the other end
pete

what i do is when the wort is cool i will pour it into the primary then back into the pot , back into primary i do this a few times without any issues i have done it this way for years.

I think you might have missed the point. All you did is re suspend the yeast Not aerate! There actually has to be air in the carboy! But at least it will get you drunk.

This is exactly what I thought. You roused your yeast, nothing more.

Back