Rehydrating yeast water temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eadavis80

Reaction score
Made a batch of NB's pumpkin ale yesterday and waiting for fermentation to start. Pitched yeast about 13 hours ago and the airlock is still stagnant. I'm 99% sure everything will be okay, but I had a brain fart at the end of the brew day as when I rehydrated the Safale US-05 I sprinkled it on water that was only around 80 degrees, not 105. Again, I'm confident/hoping the yeast still start doing its thing. It's in my primary bucket, so I can't see stuff happening yet and I did aerate the heck out of my wort with a diffusion stone and added yeast nutrient, so my yeasties SHOULD be happy. Just wanted feedback on whether those 25 degrees of water temperature difference is going to have a bad effect on this batch.

IMO 105 is a tad high, I rehydrate at 90, it'll be fine at 80, just be patient, there are a lot of other factors involved as to why some beers take off quick and others don't such as aeration, gravity, viability of yeast, strain, etc.

Sent from the Commune

Thanks guys - I figure I'll be fine, but even though I have a dozen batches under my belt, I still get anxious 'till I see the airlock due its thing (even though I KNOW that's not the only indicator of fermentation).

Back