Regulator Question (Picture Included)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natefrog255

Reaction score
Received some older CO2 regulators from a relative that gave up on fountain soda. I gladly took. Both are dual-regulators, so have the 2 output posts. I bought a new washer for the connection to the CO2 cylinder. I bought 1 gas line with a small washer. My questions are...

1. They do not appear to have shut-off valves. Are they necessary?
2. If not, I assume as long as the adjustment nut is counter-clockwise all the way (well not so screw comes out), it would be fine?
3. If no shut-off valves, do I need to worry about beer getting into my cylinder and/or gas lines?

Any help is appreciated. I tried to bump some old threads but no avail and didn't find anything relevant to my questions.

IMAG1786.jpg

I'd recommend shut off valves, and more specifically shut off valves with integrated check valves. Liquid can back up into the gas line if the keg is full and at a higher pressure than the regulator. If it does it means you'll have to take the regulator apart and clean it out. The risk is easily eliminated for about $12 at my LHBS.

I'd recommend shut off valves, and more specifically shut off valves with integrated check valves. Liquid can back up into the gas line if the keg is full and at a higher pressure than the regulator. If it does it means you'll have to take the regulator apart and clean it out. The risk is easily eliminated for about $12 at my LHBS.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, taking apart the regulator is something I'm not interested in doing at all. I would rather just get the shutoff w/check valve.

I got a single valve just like the one you have there that came with my auxiliary CO2 tank, but mine did have a shut-off attached. I got a new one from Kegworks through E-bay for 12 bucks just to have the check valve.

Beer in me = good
Beer in gas regulator = bad

I believe those are check valves on the outlets of those regulators...........Study them close.

Isn't the body of the outlet fitting, with the "double hex" flats, screwed together?

I have a soda regulator as well, with a flare or "mfl" fitting on it, which is not as massive as those, and they have a "check ball" within.

Take one apart and see!

But I got a dollar sez they are check valves, to prevent fluid back-flow in to the regulator.

I believe those are check valves on the outlets of those regulators...........Study them close.

Isn't the body of the outlet fitting, with the "double hex" flats, screwed together?

I have a soda regulator as well, with a flare or "mfl" fitting on it, which is not as massive as those, and they have a "check ball" within.

Take one apart and see!

But I got a dollar sez they are check valves, to prevent fluid back-flow in to the regulator.

Could be...I hadn't thought of that. I thought it looked like a bushing that's being used as an adapter for the flare fitting. Should be easy to check.

Thanks for the information. I will check to see. If I don't plan to use the outlet on the left, do I need to add a shut-off valve or will having the adjustment nut to off be sufficient?

Thanks for the information. I will check to see. If I don't plan to use the outlet on the left, do I need to add a shut-off valve or will having the adjustment nut to off be sufficient?

It should work but I don't know if I'd trust it. It could bleed off pressure really slow...too slow to be noticeable. Which would mean you'd go through CO2 faster than you should.

Back