Regular Bourbon County Stout 2015 Infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last bottle of my 10/12 case just went down the drain (the drain being my gullet). I started drinking that case after the regular stout announcement. The first showed no signs. The last was definitely turning and had slight signs of tartness, but still drinkable.

On a related note, no check yet. Dropped labels in the mail on 8/24.

The last bottle of my 10/12 case just went down the drain (the drain being my gullet). I started drinking that case after the regular stout announcement. The first showed no signs. The last was definitely turning and had slight signs of tartness, but still drinkable.

On a related note, no check yet. Dropped labels in the mail on 8/24.

Sent mine on 8/29. Nothing here yet either.

Am I dumb to grab a bunch more bcbs '15 when I am in NYC this weekend if they are selling bottles of the "good dates." Drank my last one that had a good date on it last week and it was as delicious as always.

Am I dumb to grab a bunch more bcbs '15 when I am in NYC this weekend if they are selling bottles of the "good dates." Drank my last one that had a good date on it last week and it was as delicious as always.

If it's the 10/6 date, those are still drinking great right now. Had a pour off one last night that was liquid brownie batter.

Where did you guys find the "good" dates. I have 9/30. I'm sure a simple Google search would yield something but that's not why I joined a beer forum.

Where did you guys find the "good" dates. I have 9/30. I'm sure a simple Google search would yield something but that's not why I joined a beer forum.

Refunds are available for Bourbon County Brand Stout bottles dated: Oct. 9, Oct. 12, Oct. 21, Oct. 22, Oct. 23, Oct. 26, Oct. 30, Nov. 4 and Nov. 5. The lone bottling date of infected Proprietor’s Bourbon County Stout is Sept. 18. All bottling dates are from 2015.

Awesome, thanks so much. I hadn't cracked one in a few months from my case so good to hear.

Haven't read through the whole thread, but this 100% is infected. Though oddly enough it's not terrible.
EFC8F587-3EF9-4F83-AF28-013CB863E91B_zpslnpf9nqb.jpg

Can someone explain how the infection source ("Its working theory is that the lactobacillus lurked in the tanks used to transport the beer from the brewery's barrel-aging warehouse to its Fulton Market bottling facility") only affected bottles? Aren't all kegs of 2016 BW/Coffee/BCBS clean?

Can someone explain how the infection source ("Its working theory is that the lactobacillus lurked in the tanks used to transport the beer from the brewery's barrel-aging warehouse to its Fulton Market bottling facility") only affected bottles? Aren't all kegs of 2016 BW/Coffee/BCBS clean?
Presumably they keg at a different facility -- or maybe at the Barrel house?

No. Not all kegs have been uninfected unfortunately.

Besides what ApocalypseZombie said about kegs not being uninfected, there's a good chance that -many- of them are but due to cold storage conditions (compared with bottles), the development of the lactobacillus has been impeded. I've seen a similar effect happen with beers brewed locally: bottles of my local brewery's peanut butter porter turned sour (due to lacto in the PB2 powder), but the kegs stayed fine for a long time.

educate me. do breweries not test new barrels for bugs/infection before using them? are some of these bugs undetectable except in certain, very specific conditions that don't exist until after liquid is in them?

Are the mods gonna edit this thread title to 2015/2016 infection?
giphy.gif
vm0QGfz.jpg

Well funny you should ask! Rumors going around Virginia of some infected regular bottles. It's probably nonsense this early on. If that rumor does carry any weight, then I'm gunna do just that.

Carolinabeerguy, this is your buddy right? Any deets?

educate me. do breweries not test new barrels for bugs/infection before using them? are some of these bugs undetectable except in certain, very specific conditions that don't exist until after liquid is in them?

It would be nearly impossible to run wort/beer through each barrel, let it grow and then QC it before putting it into service. That would add months on to the process and strip some of the character out of the barrel.

Typically breweries clean and sanitize barrels but wood is porous. It can never be sanitized/sterilized to the level of glass or steel. With whiskey barrels they may not even be sanitizing the barrels because the ABV of the spirit in the wood is so high.

vm0QGfz.jpg

Well funny you should ask! Rumors going around Virginia of some infected regular bottles. It's probably nonsense this early on. If that rumor does carry any weight, then I'm gunna do just that.

Carolinabeerguy, this is your buddy right? Any deets?

Any chance this is one of those bottles, of which pics have been floating around, that has a 2016 neck label but is actually a re-labelled 2015 bottle?

I have 2 - 11/04/15. Drank 1 last week. It was fine. I kept both refrigerated the entire time though.

Drinking a 2016 now. Label and date. It's fine. It's missing that wow factor and it seems a bit thinner than in years past but maybe I'm just jaded. I wouldn't set foot in a line for it but it is still quite good.

I had a 2016 bottle in the last few days. Mine was definitely not infected, but it was also the worst batch I have ever had. Thin, harsh, licorishy.

I heard that lots of 2016 was infected, and they dumped a lot. They said that prop was infected so maple was repurposed for prop.

I had a 2016 bottle in the last few days. Mine was definitely not infected, but it was also the worst batch I have ever had. Thin, harsh, licorishy.

I heard that lots of 2016 was infected, and they dumped a lot. They said that prop was infected so maple was repurposed for prop.
Weird, I just noticed that.

I opened my first 2016 this weekend and it was on point. Very reminiscent of last year's. Even had it side by side with **** and it was noticeably richer.

They said that prop was infected so maple was repurposed for prop.

Just curious where you heard this as I saw the barrels of the Scotch BCS still in the warehouse a few weeks back and when we asked the folks from Goose Island about this at the structured tasting on Black Friday they said they simply weren't ready yet and were going to continue to age.

Just curious where you heard this as I saw the barrels of the Scotch BCS still in the warehouse a few weeks back and when we asked the folks from Goose Island about this at the structured tasting on Black Friday they said they simply weren't ready yet and were going to continue to age.

"Someone"

"A friend"

"A guy I know who runs a bottleshop"

"Read it somewhere"

"Distro rep"

I heard it from a friend who spoke to a rep at length at a black friday event (not in my area). My friend is trustworthy, but I guess the rep could be clueless.

i heard one of the brewer's assistants fell in to a vat of Prop and died but because AB is so cheap, they just left the body in there and didn't report it.

that's where the mineraly taste is coming from. it's iron from his blood.

that's straight from the mouth of the truck driver that drops beer off at my local. he overheard a Miller rep talking about it with someone at a bar a few weeks back.

i heard one of the brewer's assistants fell in to a vat of Prop and died but because AB is so cheap, they just left the body in there and didn't report it.

that's where the mineraly taste is coming from. it's iron from his blood.

that's straight from the mouth of the truck driver that drops beer off at my local. he overheard a Miller rep talking about it with someone at a bar a few weeks back.

giphy.gif

Semi-serious question. Why do people (haters) keep calling it an adjunct stout? Is barrel-aging considered an adjunct now? I don't recall people calling it that in the past...

Latest posts

Back