Refurbishing 1969 Kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briankimc

Reaction score
Hi. Thrilled I found this forum. I have a 1969 Kegerator
Beverage-Air Co
The Punxsutawney Company
Model DD23S-G
Serial PF302877
This unit has been in my family since the 1970’s but has been in storage since 2003ish. We thought the compressor had gone out but turns out it was just a loose wire. Obviously the hoses and tower need to be replaced but I just don’t know where to turn to get them. Any resources would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance! Kim

Greetings @briankimc, and welcome to the forums at Homebrew Talk :mug:

Pictures could help - especially any that show manufacturer build plates, etc. Also, what is the length of this particular kegerator?

fwiw, I am not finding any historical records for any Beverage-Air (nee Punxsutawney Co) series "DD23" kegerators, but there are other "DD" models, and there are models such as "BM23" extant.

Cheers!

[edit] I am seeing all kinds of small kegerators sporting "DD23" in their model numbers though none of them claiming Beverage-Air origins (I'm seeing a lot of "Migali" and "Mageli" branding)

Last edited:
Greetings @briankimc, and welcome to the forums at Homebrew Talk :mug:

Pictures could help - especially any that show manufacturer build plates, etc. Also, what is the length of this particular kegerator?

fwiw, I am not finding any historical records for any Beverage-Air (nee Punxsutawney Co) series "DD23" kegerators, but there are other "DD" models, and there are models such as "BM23" extant.

Cheers!

[edit] I am seeing all kinds of small kegerators sporting "DD23" in their model numbers though none of them claiming Beverage-Air origins (I'm seeing a lot of "Migali" and "Mageli" branding)
Thanks @day_trippr here are some photos. That’s the problem we can’t find the model info either. It still has the mfg tag inside.

Attachments

• 52B9A5EC-26BE-4D27-816E-380A3E520E64.jpeg
    52B9A5EC-26BE-4D27-816E-380A3E520E64.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
  • D87FD437-48C5-42A2-86D1-A3C7ECFAA87A.jpeg
    D87FD437-48C5-42A2-86D1-A3C7ECFAA87A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
  • 878CE7CE-2EF2-42E5-9290-974A05F5A95F.jpeg
    878CE7CE-2EF2-42E5-9290-974A05F5A95F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 77
  • 90E74551-4C52-446E-B174-9C194DE2C05C.jpeg
    90E74551-4C52-446E-B174-9C194DE2C05C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
  • 27AF046B-9786-49E1-83FD-432CF6C2A965.jpeg
    27AF046B-9786-49E1-83FD-432CF6C2A965.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
  • 6452CC04-7F66-4C67-BACB-0B8C2E26DEEB.jpeg
    6452CC04-7F66-4C67-BACB-0B8C2E26DEEB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 76
Good pics, adds confidence we're not chasing a ghost :)
So, a single chassis unit. I had thought the "23" dictates cabinet width but I'm finding "23" models that are actually 25 inches wide.
I would definitely give Beverage-Air a call because it's clear this is one of their children.

On the plus side, the active part of that system is so generically "Beverage-Air" that - other than specific sheet metal bits etc - I'm betting all of the active components (compressor, fans and thermostat) could be replaced with current components...

Cheers!

Good pics, adds confidence we're not chasing a ghost :)
So, a single chassis unit. I had thought the "23" dictates cabinet width but I'm finding "23" models that are actually 25 inches wide.
I would definitely give Beverage-Air a call because it's clear this is one of their children.

On the plus side, the active part of that system is so generically "Beverage-Air" that - other than specific sheet metal bits etc - I'm betting all of the active components (compressor, fans and thermostat) could be replaced with current components...

Cheers!
Thanks! I’ll call them tomorrow and see what I can find out. Ya we’ve had it since the 70’s and I have personally had it since the early 90’s am always amazed what great shape it truly if file for a unit they started in PA, was bought by us in the 70’s in CA and moved to IL, TX, AZ, IL, and now back to CA!

Looks like all it needs is a good and thorough cleaning! That tower should clean up nicely too.
Parts are readily available, so no problem.

Good Find.
About two years ago, I came across a Bev Air BM23 Kegerator, a 1972 model. First off there are industrial, commercial units. Mine is the standard Kegerator, Holding a 15 gal keg. Single tap tower. I found several forums online for information. Parts,, at least for mine, were available. Beverage Air is still making equipment and they helped, They brand their equipment under different names. I was able to come across a manual online.
The biggest issue, is that your compressor uses R12 refrigerant, which was outlawed, This is an issue, I was able to find some and had the system charged.
With mine, I added a four tap tower, and can easily place three Corny kegs inside. I placed the CO2 tank and regulator outside.
In two plus years, My kegerator hasn't missed a beat, looks good
Good Luck,

If I remember correctly, that style is called a club top, where the top slides open.
Often times, the top is solid and the tower is centered up, left to right and 8-10 inches back with a drip tray in front of it.

Good Find.
About two years ago, I came across a Bev Air BM23 Kegerator, a 1972 model. First off there are industrial, commercial units. Mine is the standard Kegerator, Holding a 15 gal keg. Single tap tower. I found several forums online for information. Parts,, at least for mine, were available. Beverage Air is still making equipment and they helped, They brand their equipment under different names. I was able to come across a manual online.
The biggest issue, is that your compressor uses R12 refrigerant, which was outlawed, This is an issue, I was able to find some and had the system charged.
With mine, I added a four tap tower, and can easily place three Corny kegs inside. I placed the CO2 tank and regulator outside.
In two plus years, My kegerator hasn't missed a beat, looks good
Good Luck,
I just got this message from Beverage Air sadly. I guess I need to take it apart and try to find the replacement hoses by trial and error “We dont have records of units that old, You would need to source any parts locally”. Apparently they aren’t even interested in discussing it.

Back