Refractometer use after fermentation start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_italian_cider_maker

Reaction score
Hi all!
I've a big doubt... For the sg measurement after the fermentation start, is it possible to use a refractometer (with brix/sg scale) or the alcohol presence will false the result?

Thanks to all!

Yes, that's the only way I know of. You can use either refractometer or hydrometer for initial SG/sugar content, but once fermentation starts, hydrometer is the way to go.

Ciao connazionale

Answers in #6 and #7 give you the right suggestions.

Just keep in mind that the refractometer method is always an "indirect" one, it will give you a result which is within 1 or 2 gravity points from what your hydrometer would give you. It's fast, it allows you not to waste too much wort, it works very well to judge at what point of the fermentation you are, but if you begin wondering why the rafractometer and the hydrometer don't give you the same results, you are bound to descend a downhill to insanity. Just take the refractometer adjusted reading as a very good clue.

Well I stand corrected. Assumed that the alcohol & yeasties would interfere with the refractometer too much. Found this reference which explains things pretty nicely:

Paper No (misco.com)

Well I stand corrected. Assumed that the alcohol & yeasties would interfere with the refractometer too much. Found this reference which explains things pretty nicely:

Paper No (misco.com)

This document is a nice selling point for Misco for their refractometer, but it certainly shows how useful are refractometers for vineyard work.

Beer wort is a bit more complicated, because we don't deal with a sugar-water mixture, but a complex sugar - simple sugar - protein - whateverelse mixture, and the refractive index of the latter is different from the refractive index of the former.

In order to resolve the difficulty, it is customary to apply a "correction index" to the measurement that the refractomer gives. That means that there are two calculations to be made to infer the actual density of a beer from a refractometer reading:

The first correction is the "correction index", which is normally 1,04, but which is dependent from the single wort and this means that there is a degree of approximation which is not eliminable;

The second correction is the equation which is used to derive the density from the observed and "corrected" value given by the refractomer. This equation tries to keep into account the alcohol content inside the sample. Various equations have been proposed: Novotny's equation is the "latest fashion".

Winemaker have an easier life with refractometers, but they make wine only once a year and are less concerned about wasted wort than ourselves ;)

Back