Refermentation for bottle conditioning

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Mojojoey

Reaction score
So, I'm about to bottle a beer that has taken forever to fermenting - the old 3724 saison stall. But hey, it's finally ready after 10 weeks!
So I'm thinking I may want to add fresh yeast help the carbonation process in the bottles.
My question... How much yeast should I add? Should I treat it like any other 5 gallon batch, or do I add less yeast since I only want to fermenting a relatively small amount of yeast?

Remos112

Reaction score
So, I'm about to bottle a beer that has taken forever to fermenting - the old 3724 saison stall. But hey, it's finally ready after 10 weeks!
So I'm thinking I may want to add fresh yeast help the carbonation process in the bottles.
My question... How much yeast should I add? Should I treat it like any other 5 gallon batch, or do I add less yeast since I only want to fermenting a relatively small amount of yeast?
What was your og and fg? Answers to those questions will be very useful!

ESBrewer

Reaction score
Small amount of healthy and active yeast should be enough for bottle carbonation/conditioning. Don't know exactly why it took so long to ferment. The recipe and conditions could help to find out the reason or it may be yeast health and The character of saison yeast.

Last edited:

NTexBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I use about 2 grams of EC1118 to reyeast at bottling with good results. I rehydrate the yeast in 100ml of warm water for 15 minutes and then add to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar.

OP
M

Mojojoey

Reaction score
Champagne yesterday huh? Do you do that for all your aged beer?

I have some other, more aggressive saison yeast (wallonian farmhouse from yeast bay) in my fridge. I was thinking about using some of that, but I doubt I need the full 100 billion cells. Perhaps half?

ESBrewer

Reaction score
Not a saison expert but I don't think you need to spend 100 billion cells. Just a little bit of slurry should do cause there is plenty of yeast already (even if not so active anymore) and there is not much sugar to eat.

OP
M

Mojojoey

Reaction score
Not a saison expert but I don't think you need to spend 100 billion cells. Just a little bit of slurry should do cause there is plenty of yeast already (even if not so active anymore) and there is not much sugar to eat.
Thanks :). So... I'll just make a healthy starter and pitch most of it into a new batch, and reserve a little bit to bottle with the next day. A great excuse to brew again!

NTexBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Champagne yesterday huh? Do you do that for all your aged beer?

I have some other, more aggressive saison yeast (wallonian farmhouse from yeast bay) in my fridge. I was thinking about using some of that, but I doubt I need the full 100 billion cells. Perhaps half?

Yes. Champagne yeast will only eat the priming sugar if fermentation is complete. Easy to work with since it is a dry yeast and costs $0.99.