Referigerator Troubleshooting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dummkauf

Reaction score
So my kegerator finally died on my a couple weeks ago, and naturally it happened while my wife was in the hospital having a baby, which meant I came home to a freezer full of thawed meat :(

Anyway, I'm now weighing my options between tossing it or fixing it and am looking for opinions on what might need to be fixed.

info:

- It's a Whirlpool Mark Series, I'm guessing about 20-30 years old.
- Neither the freezer or the fridge are cold.
- All fans that I could find are spinning(pulled the back out of the freezer and checked the fans underneath it by the ground).
- I can feel air moving in the freezer but it's not cold.
- Sound wise, it sounds exactly like it did when it was working.
- There is no clicking noise so I'm guessing it's not a compressor issue.
- I've cleaned all the dust/dog hair off of all the coils, though they really weren't too dirty to begin with.

Anyone have any ideas what might be wrong? Or should I just toss it and look for a freebie on craigslist.

I would like to preface this reply with the fact that I am NOT an expert at this stuff. However, I have messed around with fridges a little bit. First, is the fan spinning fast enough? Sometimes they spin too slowly because they rub against something and you can pull them out a bit to get them spinning nice and fast. Also, is the compressor hot? If so, it may be the start device or the overload relay. Both these problems are fixable, and you can find out how by just googling them. Also, it may be a freon leak, but that is not as likely.

Well the fans definitely seem to be spinning fast, though I'll admit I've never looked at them prior to today, but I can't imagine them spinning much faster.

I'll double check the compressor tomorrow, but I don't recall noticing it being hot when I was poking around in there earlier tonight.

Back