Red Strip Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smellysell

Reaction score
I've spent a good chunk of time on hear reading about various ways to remove the paint from these bottles with no luck.

So far I've tried:

-Starsan at recommended dilution
-Starsan at 10x recommended dilution
-CLR at recommended dilution
-CLR at full concentration

Any suggestions for what to try next or should I just toss them?

I have not had any good luck with them. Lucky for me I can get that same basic shape from North Peak beers. I don't think they distribute that far out yet though.

I'd just toss them. I just don't consider it worth the hassle.

I have not had any good luck with them. Lucky for me I can get that same basic shape from North Peak beers. I don't think they distribute that far out yet though.

I'd just toss them. I just don't consider it worth the hassle.

Man, I was just going through Michigan the other day too. :(

Don't know about red stripe specifically, but a 3x StarSan soak takes most Rogue paint off nicely.

However it DOES require a SOAK - as in about 2 or 3 hours.
are you soaking or wiping?

Don't know about red stripe specifically, but a 3x StarSan soak takes most Rogue paint off nicely.

However it DOES require a SOAK - as in about 2 or 3 hours.
are you soaking or wiping?

Did a 5x starsan soak , checking every 5 hours or so for several days that did nothing.

How do I add an "E" to the title?

There are actually other stubbies out there lately besides red stripe, and most of them have paper labels..l

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/where-get-stubby-bottles-215628/

163163_487494449066_620469066_5957470_6836063_n.jpg

You are going to need some sort of solvent to get that ink off of the bottle. Not sure what the printers are using. Good chance its some sort of UV cured ink to get it to adhere to the bottles well, and not come off in a cooler of water.

Not sure you can buy it in small quantites, but I'd look for screen wash or press wash for screen printing inks. You will probably have to buy it in 30lb buckets though.

As long as you're willing to be careful I have a 99% certain solution. Castrol Super Clean (purple plastic container avail at any auto parts store and Walmart auto section) will remove the paint after an overnight soak, maybe quicker. Some will caution about chemicals in the bottles. That's why you need to be carefully. I soak the bottles standing up with the fluid level only high enough to cover the label. Then of course several washing rounds.

As long as you're willing to be careful I have a 99% certain solution. Castrol Super Clean (purple plastic container avail at any auto parts store and Walmart auto section) will remove the paint after an overnight soak, maybe quicker. Some will caution about chemicals in the bottles. That's why you need to be carefully. I soak the bottles standing up with the fluid level only high enough to cover the label. Then of course several washing rounds.

Thanks, going to give this a try.

I haven't tried it, but would think any paint stripping compound will work (see Google search below). I especially like the newer 'greener' pastes that don't kill 1/3 of your brain from the volatile fumes! I just might have to pick up a six of Red Stripe and try this once and for all. I have the paste paint stripper... but the heinous task of drinking all those beers... :tank:

[ame]http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=paint+remover+paste#q=paint+remover+paste&hl=en&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=u1I4TZbdNcHJgQf5gtC5CA&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CCwQrQQwAg&biw=1400&bih=915&fp=25a0b2344dc0e416[/ame]

the best that i have done is using normal dilution of starsan, leaving them sit for two weeks, then letting them dry out. The paint started to flake on some, come fully off of one, and some it had no effect. It all seamed "Random: on whether or not the paint would come off.

If you are looking for a stubby bottle....try Session lager, made by full sail brewery. Comes in a stubby bottle like red stripe, only with a paper label. There's two varieties of the brew I believe, so you can have some variety while making bottles. :)

-cheers

If you are looking for a stubby bottle....try Session lager, made by full sail brewery. Comes in a stubby bottle like red stripe, only with a paper label. There's two varieties of the brew I believe, so you can have some variety while making bottles. :)

-cheers

I have a bunch of those and use them, but the screw off top scares me a little.

Your screen printing cleaner (screen opener) is usually is aerosol cans and is some nasty nasty nasty stuff. I worked in a screen printing shop for a while and this stuff would make me sick if I had too much exposure in a day even in great ventilation. I would try filling the bottles with water tthen setting them in a small basin tubfull of paint this or tri sodium phosphate just enough to go over the label. I would make it a point to not let the chemicals get anywhere near where I was going to put my mouth or something that would go in my mouth. There is also steel wool and elbow grease.

Latest posts

Back