American Amber Ale Red Rye Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without the Rye it is totally different, wait for the Rye. I have brewed this beer a lot (12-15 times) and it is one of my best. Here in western ny we call it "Red Pig".

Quoted for truth. When i forgot the pound of flaked rye, it basically just made an easy drinking amber with a touch of rye character and very little else.

Coincidentially, i sampled a black rye ipa from my local brewery and wow, yeah, rye character is definitely missing from my beer. Luckily its really drinkable and 4.1% ABV :)

well, it's not that they are out of stock, it's that they don't appear to stock it at all (we als don't get rice hulls in my country). I'll be perusing organic food stores to see if they have any. If not, I was going to modify the bill a bit - upping the amount of malted rye to ~15% to compensate. I've not worked with flaked rye so I'm not sure what will be missing.

well, it's not that they are out of stock, it's that they don't appear to stock it at all (we als don't get rice hulls in my country). I'll be perusing organic food stores to see if they have any. If not, I was going to modify the bill a bit - upping the amount of malted rye to ~15% to compensate. I've not worked with flaked rye so I'm not sure what will be missing.

I also can't get flaked rye here either, I could at one time, but the supplier stopped stocking it due to a lack of demand.

Has anyone tried using rye flour? - Correction: Its not this, it was is crushed rye, which requires a cereal mash

Someone at a homebrew club told me i could use rye flour, but i can't remember if he used it as substitute for malted rye or flaked rye:drunk:

Also I am not sure whether you add it to your mash or mash it separately, but you definitely need to do a glucanase rest to break it down.

I also can't get flaked rye here either, I could at one time, but the supplier stopped stocking it due to a lack of demand.

Has anyone tried using rye flour? - Correction: Its not this, it was is crushed rye, which requires a cereal mash

Someone at a homebrew club told me i could use rye flour, but i can't remember if he used it as substitute for malted rye or flaked rye:drunk:

Also I am not sure whether you add it to your mash or mash it separately, but you definitely need to do a glucanase rest to break it down.

I brewed this beer for the first time about a week ago and it was my first time using rye flakes but I'm sure you could compensate it with more rye malt. I read somewhere on here that the flavour of the flakes is more intense so to get closer to this you will probably need to use more malt than flakes. However then the OG of the beer would increase so then you might have to cut back on the base malt or end up with a Red Rye IPA :ban:
So you need to decide on how much extra you want to add for flavour without making too strong.
However you compensate it won't be exactly the same but should still be a very tasy beer.:drunk:

Here is a good discussion on Rye flakes vs malt:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=6520

Daggers,
Try increasing the rye malt and add some flaked corn for mouthfeel.
John

well that was easy! found these at my local fruit&veg. Only 1.1lb's worth but I will up the malted rye to compensate. I'm also going to add ~2oz roasted barley to darken it up a bit - but won't dry it out too much. Thanks for your replies though everyone, I'm really looking forward to brewing this recipe

0mjklyrk.sg5.jpg

forgot to take the flakes with me to get milled with the rest of the grains. I'm really looking forward to brewing this tomorrow. Hope to finish up with about 22L/5.8 gallons pre-pitch.

had a pretty good day. Was kind of awkward as I have a new HWT and the temp was dropping at about 2C per 5 minutes so I had to keep re-heating the water while I was sparging.

I almost forgot the flakes too! put them in 20mins into mash but ended up mashing for 75mins so not too worried. Super slow sparge (2hrs) got me 80% eff so pretty happy. Can't wait until this is in my mouth

I followed the OP recipe. I measured it two days ago and it was down to 1.013 from 1.054 after 10 days at 19oC in the basement. I have the time to bottle it on Sunday so hopefully it will be finished by then.
Just to be sure I think I'll put it in the sitting room tonight at about 25oC.
I don't think it will cause any off flavours at this stage or should I be careful with the Notti even when the beer is almost fully fermented?:confused:

Most of the yeast's flavor contributions occur during cell reproduction, not while it's cleaning up after itself. Raising the temp now should help move things along, as long as it's not too fast.

Most of the yeast's flavor contributions occur during cell reproduction, not while it's cleaning up after itself. Raising the temp now should help move things along, as long as it's not too fast.

Yes you are right but I just put it in another part of the house for the last day at 22.5 oC (72.5F). Still need to check later today if it's done but hopefully I can bottle as planned. :mug:

would dry hopping with ~2oz be inappropriate for this beer? I'm not usually a hop-head but at the moment I'm going through a bit of a phase

would dry hopping with ~2oz be inappropriate for this beer? I'm not usually a hop-head but at the moment I'm going through a bit of a phase

This beer doesn't seem to fit any particular style, so brew to taste. I and most others like the original receipt. But each to their own. Experiment and post results.
John

I'll see how I feel I guess. I just took a hydro sample and had a taste, I found the hop bitterness to be very strong, but had a nice hop flavor too.. I've never had such a strong bitterness from a sample before, hopefully it balances out with conditioning. I will say it's one of the nicest tasting beers only a week in I've had, just very bitter

I have heard that Huell Melon hops have a somewhat peppery flavour. That might go well with the rye.

I brewed the original recipe and bottled it about 10 days ago.
Tastes good already but still tastes a bit green. Hopefully this will improve.
When does this beer usually reach its peak?:confused:

I think I might be getting some off flavours from the Nottingham.
I brewed it at 68 F which is the ambient temperature in my basement at the moment, which is a bit but not drastically high. If it is the Nottingham I'm tasting hopefully it will improve with age. :beard:

Was the beer 68 or was the basement? Mines pretty good in the keg right now and I brewed on May 28. I have a note in my brewing log on 7-3 that says it was getting pretty good.

Was the beer 68 or was the basement? Mines pretty good in the keg right now and I brewed on May 28. I have a note in my brewing log on 7-3 that says it was getting pretty good.

Thanks for your reply, 68 was the basement.
I guess it's normal to taste like that at this stage.
I'll report back in a week or so if I see any improvement or not.

Give it some time. My point was if your basement was at 68, then the liquid was probably substantially higher. I have a Saison at 73 ambient right now and it held 78 during active. Fermentation is very exothermic, and I think I've seen 7-8 degree rises as the norm.

Hey I am pretty new to this so adapting recipes is a skill I am still developing. O don't have access to a few of the ingredients listed here so if anyone could give me feedback on this grain bill it would be appreciated!

For 6 gallons:
7 lb 2 row malt
1 lb 14 oz Munich malt
10 oz caramel 20'L
2 oz chocolate malt (350'L)
1 lb 12 oz rye flakes

I will actually be brewing 2 Gallons but figured for comparing tobthe original it would be easier to scale down after I got feedback. Thanks in advance!

Nate

For 6 gallons:
7 lb 2 row malt
1 lb 14 oz Munich malt
10 oz caramel 20'L
2 oz chocolate malt (350'L)
1 lb 12 oz rye flakes

Nate

I would drop the chocolate malt and maybe substitute that with more rye flakes.

You want to make this a beer a bit hoppy too, I think, so don't be shy with the hops.

I have heard that Huell Melon hops have a somewhat peppery flavour. That might go well with the rye.

Ive found them to be true to their name. I get straight up honeydew and cantaloupe from them. That being said, they do go great in hoppy beers but you need to pair it with a more assertive hop since they are very mellow

Only hop ive found some peppery notes in was Equinox

I brewed this per the original posted recipe 11/18 and kegged 12/2. It has definitely been liked by all who have tried it and one of my all-time favorites. I will be brewing this one again and again.

image.jpg

My stab at this...

6LB 2-row
1.25LB Rye Malt
8oz Flaked Corn
6oz Crystal 120
4oz Carafoam
2oz Special B

0.25oz Magnum (12.3% alpha) - boil 60 min
1oz Mt Hood (5.1% alpha) - boil 15 min

US-05
IBU: 33
SRM: 13

brew2_1.jpg

I'm re-visiting this beer this weekend, this one didn't last long in my rotation!
I'll try S-04 instead of Nottingham, and swap back to Pale instead of Marris Otter - I don't think the bready taste of MO was suitable and took away from the rye

I brewed this a few times, but forgot about it for a long time.

Just brewed another batch recently and remembered just how good it is. I did use Denny's Favorite (WY1450) because that yeast and rye are made for each other. Great recipe. I won't wait so long next time. Good stuff.

Great recipe .

I see that I posted in this thread three years ago, but I never made this brew. I have brewed several rye recipes, enjoying them all. Now I have some pre-ground C120 on hand, this may be up next.

Did this recipe for my 6th all grain and it is probably the best beer I have brewed to date. Will definitely do this one again!

What should the hop schedule be like for using cryo columbus hops? I picked some up from the AIH sale

I'm not certain @lumburgh but I read an article on Cryo by Denny Conn and based on it, I am tempted to try half of the 60 minute charge and then hold all other additions for a whirlpool at 120 (F). So .25 at 60 and then 1.5 in a warm whirlpool.

Last edited:
Back