American Amber Ale Red Rye Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just kegged this last night. 16 days in primary, 3 days secondary to cold crash, now kegged for 14 days to carb.
1.051 OG - 1.015 FG
Followed the recipe
I did this BIAB.

I have been curious about rye beers since tasting a Hoss rye a while back and have been looking for a good recipe. After looking through all of the posts regarding this recipe I've decided to give it a try.
For those that have already brewed this beer, does anyone have any advice they can offer?
The one thing I have picked up on is the use of rice hulls when brewing with rye malts. Has anyone else used rice hulls when mashing this recipe or does the barley provide enough of a filter bed for the mash?

I have been curious about rye beers since tasting a Hoss rye a while back and have been looking for a good recipe. After looking through all of the posts regarding this recipe I've decided to give it a try.
For those that have already brewed this beer, does anyone have any advice they can offer?
The one thing I have picked up on is the use of rice hulls when brewing with rye malts. Has anyone else used rice hulls when mashing this recipe or does the barley provide enough of a filter bed for the mash?

I didnt use rice hulls and it turned out fine. It is a bit cloudy but i only used a primary fermentation and didnt transfer it to secondary prior to bottling.

If you have ever had a stuck mash you will understand why you should use rice hulls. They are like the seatbelt in your car, you probably won't need it but you don't want to wait until it's too late to wish you had used it. I prefer to increase the hop additions by 20%. (.6oz per addition). I have used different yeasts and have colored the beer with beets. All batches turned out great. Similar to Hop Rod in flavor and recipe. I plan to brew this again within the next month. Some version or another is usually on tap at my house.

Brewed this again today- Have to love cold weather garage brewing! First snowfall of the season as well.

Love this recipe- this is my 3rd time brewing it.

Changed the hop schedule slightly-

Thanks OP

Bumped up the recipe by 25 percent because last time i ended up with a 4 gallon batch. I batched sparged and ended up with a OG of 1.067. Im not sure how my attenuation is gonna come out but hopefully i hit close to 80 percent.
I love this beer.

Im having trouble getting fermentation going with the higher gravity of 1.067 as the london ale yeast goes to 1.060. Its very slowly starting to kick.

Looks tempting! May brew this next weekend along with (possibly) an abbey dubbel. Nice to see all the followup examples and successes. May use US-05 and just rye malt (not flaked). Also considering moving the bittering charge to FWH. Pretty minor adjustments all in all.

Brewed this last night airlock is bubbling away nicely this morning. Thanks for the recipe!

Brewed this up today. Looks and smells real good. I used .75 oz nugget though at 60 and 10. Looking forward to it. Here is a pic from gravity reading

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app

1391229927317.jpg

I brewed 20 L of that in December using BRY-97 and changed the hops.

Hops: (90 minutes boil)
  • 60 Minutes - Magnum (15 % α-acid): 8.5 g (20%)
  • 20 Minutes - Citra (14.2 % α-acid): 8.5 g (20%)
  • 10 Minutes - Centennial (10 % α-acid): 10.6 g (25%)
  • 0 Minutes - Cascade (6.9 % α-acid): 14.8 g (35%)

I love it! Thx for sharing this awesome recipe.

2013-12-28 19.40.20.jpg

Hello I am very new to AG brewing and I was curious as to how much water you add after the mash for the final boil of wort. Thanks

For this recipe I used 3.5 gallons for my strike then used 4.5 gallons for my sparge. Which gave me roughly 6.25 gallons for the boil. Due to boil off left with 5 gallons.

Well decided to tweak it a bit and unfortunately ran out of gas just as I hit 147 on my mash. So since I was going to have a dry beer I rummaged through my hop stash made a new profile and tossed in a couple of sugar to make it a DIPA. After a month of bottle conditioning I am down to 2 bottles and ready to brew more.

1.084 OG
1.010 FG
72 IBU
9.7% ABV
15 SRM

Fermentable Amount Use PPG Color
2-Row (US) 7.5 lb 48% Mash 37 1 °L
Rye (US) 3.5 lb 22% Mash 38 3 °L
Munich - Light 10L (US) 1.0 lb 6% Mash 33 10 °L
Brown Sugar 1.0 lb 6% Boil 45 15 °L
Cane Sugar 1.0 lb 6% Boil 46 0 °L
Caramel/Crystal 120L (US) 0.5 lb 3% Mash 33 120 °L
Caramel/Crystal 40L (US) 0.5 lb 3% Mash 34 40 °L
Special B (BE) 0.3 lb 1% Mash 34 115 °L
CaraVienne (BE) 0.22 lb 1% Mash 34 20 °L
Hops Boil time: 60 min

Hop Amount Time Use Form AA
Warrior (US) 1.0 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 16.0%
Chinook (US) 0.5 oz 60 min Boil Pellet 12.0%
Chinook (US) 0.75 oz 20 min Boil Pellet 12.0%
Columbus (US) 0.25 oz 5 min Boil Pellet 15.0%
Cascade (US) 0.75 oz 5 min Boil Pellet 7.0%
Columbus (US) 0.25 oz 0 min Boil Pellet 15.0%
Amarillo (US) 1.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 9.3%
Citra (US) 1.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 13.7%
Chinook (US) 1.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 12.0%
Yeasts

Dry English Ale Yeast
White Labs WLP007

IMAG0016.jpg

After reading the positive comments about this beer I have to try this.

Can anyone recommend the best yeast for this. My options are notties or S05 (both washed, 3rd generation) or a new pack of BRY 97 (dry)?

Am also thinking of replacing the caramunich with Victory and the Special B with Melanoidin (just because thats what I have in stock).

Also - I know I have read what happens when you up or don't up the flaked rye, but couldn't find that when I looked for it again - what impact does increasing/decreasing the flaked rye content have on the beer? Is it similar to the impact of flaked oats?

I brewed this up last night and its bubbling away now. It tasted good but I didn't taste any rye:( - my grain bill was almost identical to the recipe.

Is this normal?

I had my first bottle last night after a month of conditioning. This is really good and I am going to make it again soon.

BUT the rye flavour is really mild and in the background. Is that how it should be?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Just brewed 11- gallons of this delicious sounding recipe on Saturday. Followed the exact grain bill but used different hops i had on hand in the freezer: cascade 1oz (60 min), citra 1oz (20 min), centennial 1oz (10 min), Amarillo 2oz (5 min), and Citra 2oz at flame out. Kept it at 41 IBU. Its in the 2 carboys bubbling away, split yeast batch trying out wlp001 & wlp002. Will let everyone know how it turns out ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406530317.204302.jpg

This has become one of my favorites and the most popular beer I make. Problem is I have entered it in 3 competitions, each time in a different style category and have not done well at all. :confused: If you are experienced, what style category would you suggest?
Thanks, John

This has become one of my favorites and the most popular beer I make. Problem is I have entered it in 3 competitions, each time in a different style category and have not done well at all. :confused: If you are experienced, what style category would you suggest?
Thanks, John

Funny, I was looking at the style guides a moment ago thinking the same thing. I think this, like many other great tasting beers, doesn't fit in any style category.

I think for a competition it would fall under 23a Specialty beer due to color and hops presence, with the underlying style being 6d American Wheat or Rye beer. Maybe if there are any BJCP judges lurking, they could let us know if this is correct.

This is extremely high on the list of the best beers I've ever made. I love it, my friends and family love it, and I just can't brew it fast enough! If you haven't made it yet, do it. You will not be disappointed

this beer has gotten so many rave reviews I had to try it!

Only change i'm making to the OP's recipe is a bit of Carared to add some more colour to it.

Brewing on Monday, can't wait!!

Made a beer off this and almost exactly to the recipe. I am very pleased with the columbus hops and the dryness of the knotty and the rye. You also get the flavor of the crystal malts. A very awesome beer. I also used the notty yeast as well and I think that helps keep it on the dry side because of all the crystal malts.

Awesome recipe! Will brew again!:mug:

Brewing this right now. Upped the recipie to 8 gallons. Doing 5 gallons with a kolsch yeast, and 3 with English ale yeast. First time I split a batch with 2 yeast. Should be interesting to see the difference.

So I'm going to brew this like the OP on the weekend.
I have everything except the Nottingham yeast.
I ordered it on the internet yesterday but just in case it doesn't arrive on time what would you think the best substitute be?

I have US-05, S-04, BRY-97, S-33.

I guess it will still taste great with US-05 but to get close to the attenuation and flocculation of Nottingham the BRY-97 would be the better choice?

So I'm going to brew this like the OP on the weekend.
I have everything except the Nottingham yeast.
I ordered it on the internet yesterday but just in case it doesn't arrive on time what would you think the best substitute be?

I have US-05, S-04, BRY-97, S-33.

I guess it will still taste great with US-05 but to get close to the attenuation and flocculation of Nottingham the BRY-97 would be the better choice?

I am brewing this on Thursday. I didnt realize that OP's recipe was 6 gal and not 5, so my recipe adjustment might end up with a little stronger beer.

As far as yeast, i snagged nottingham. SA-05 will attenuate better, but i'm guessing SA-04 is closer to the character of nottingham. I have no experience with 97 and 33.

Got a late start today, but finally coming up to a boil after BIAB mash for 60 min. 1.039 pre-boil gravity.

I had to adjust my hop quantities bc the columbus that i got is 19% AA! Wish me luck.

I brewed this about a month ago, kegged it a couple of weeks back, and am drinking it now. Such a great recipe! This is my third or fourth time making this beer, and it's always a pleasure to drink. This time around I used US-05 instead of Nottingham because that's what I happened to have on hand. Cheers, and nice job to the OP!

So I missed my OG by some 10 points, after nailing it on my last 2 brews. I had a big ol' ? over my head until after I chilled and transfered to the carboy. My buddy asked me how much I spent on this batch, so I consulted my lhbs receipt. A pound of flaked Rye? Oh no... Yep, it was laying next to my Brown paper grain bag, and I totally forgot it.

Side note, don't try to mini mash flaked Rye, because biology AND physics says it won't work. Trust me.

I pitched Nottingham and had a nice vigorous fermentation. Ill keg and carbonate when i have a free keg. I anticipate a very sessiony lite rye ale, or, as ive been calling it, Rye Fail Ale

I was hoping to make this next weekend, however we don't seem to have flaked rye in any of my LHBS. Any ideas for a substitute?

I was hoping to make this next weekend, however we don't seem to have flaked rye in any of my LHBS. Any ideas for a substitute?

Without the Rye it is totally different, wait for the Rye. I have brewed this beer a lot (12-15 times) and it is one of my best. Here in western ny we call it "Red Pig".

Back