Red IPA - Tell me what you think!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndDrink916

Reaction score
54.8% - 2 row
20.5% - Carared
20.5% - Munich
3.1% - C60
2.4 - Dehusked Carafa II

Apollo Bitter charge

Late addtions of Simcoe, Chinook, Citra, Centennial, Mosaic at FO

1.068 SG
87.9 IBU
15.3 SRM

English 007 or English 002
152 Mash
All Grain
60 min boil
Keg by halloween!

i would cut the carared and c60 significantly. Like belgians, you want to minimize specialty malts in IPAs. Ive read articles where both Mitch from Stone and Vinnie from Russian RIver advise to either leave them out entirely or do 5% max. Youve got over 20% there which will make for a cloyingly sweet beer. This wll interfere with the hops you are trying to showcase.

Adding some sugar will help dry out the beer which is especially important in black/red IPAs. You want to differentiate this from a hoppy amber ale. Its a red IPA so design the grain bill like one

Have you determined the hop schedule? Id suggest a hopstand if youve never tried one. Its the best way to get close to a commercial level hop character

thanks for that. Tried to rush a recipe and bring out the red but good point. made these changes.

2 row - 76.8
munich - 18.1
C60 - 3.9
Carafa II Dehusked - 1.3

Apollo for bitter

Simcoe .5 oz - 30
Chinook .5 oz - 20
Citra 1 oz - 15
Cascade .5 oz - 10
Centennial .5 oz 10
Centennial and Chinook Hopstand for 30 or until temp hits 170.

let me know what you think!

I'm disappointed to see simcoe as your main bittering hop and nowhere else. I am currently drinking a red IPA that I loaded with simcoe after flameout. Its one of my best and simcoe is such a tasty variety.

Haha. Sorry, I am mainly bittering at 60 with Apollo. But might need to add some simcoe to my FO just because you talked me into it.

Back