Hoppy American Wheat! Tell me what you think?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndDrink916

Reaction score
Looking for feedback. What would you change. Open to any suggestions and if you can let me know why the change or substitution. Just trying to get better at recipe formulation. Water profile suggestions is awesome too. Cheers!

1.048 SG
43.6 IBU
7.1 SRM
5.0% ABV
BHE at 71% Beersmith has it at 83.9% (still working on hitting numbers. Last IPA I did hit perfectly at 71 but different malt bill)
Brewing All Grain

5 pounds 12 oz White Wheat
3 pounds 4 oz of 2 row
8 oz of Caravienne
4 oz of Caraaroma

Hops
10 grams of Apollo at 60
10 grams of El Dorado at 30
10 grams of Citra at 10
10 grams of El Dorado at FO Whirlpool for 25 - 30 depending on temp
Dry Hop 28 grams of Citra for 3 days

Wyeast 1010 American Wheat Ale

Fly Sparge

Distilled water with salt additions. (need to calculate water profile just haven't done it yet)

Mash at 149F
Strike at 165F

Ferment controlled at 60F and each day raise till 65F. after about 2 weeks free raise to 70 for a couple days then back to 65.

Bottling after about 2.5 to 3 weeks.

I'd move your 30 and 10 minute additions all to flameout and raise mash temp to 152. If you need more bitterness, then up the 60min addition or whirlpool longer.

I've done similar with an AU/NZ hopped American wheat with 1010.

I never bother with 15-45 minute hop additions unless it's a classic EU style.

I have one fermenting now. Amarillo and citra hops. 1968 yeast. Amarillo dry hopped in the secondary Citra dry hopping the keg

Looking for feedback. What would you change. Open to any suggestions and if you can let me know why the change or substitution. Just trying to get better at recipe formulation. Water profile suggestions is awesome too. Cheers!

1.048 SG
43.6 IBU
7.1 SRM
5.0% ABV
BHE at 71% Beersmith has it at 83.9% (still working on hitting numbers. Last IPA I did hit perfectly at 71 but different malt bill)
Brewing All Grain

5 pounds 12 oz White Wheat
3 pounds 4 oz of 2 row
8 oz of Caravienne
4 oz of Caraaroma

Hops
10 grams of Apollo at 60
10 grams of El Dorado at 30
10 grams of Citra at 10
10 grams of El Dorado at FO Whirlpool for 25 - 30 depending on temp
Dry Hop 28 grams of Citra for 3 days

Wyeast 1010 American Wheat Ale

Fly Sparge

Distilled water with salt additions. (need to calculate water profile just haven't done it yet)

Mash at 149F
Strike at 165F

Ferment controlled at 60F and each day raise till 65F. after about 2 weeks free raise to 70 for a couple days then back to 65.

Bottling after about 2.5 to 3 weeks.

You may want to consider some rice hulls if you aren't doing biab. Larger than 50% wheat can generally cause a stuck sparge. Just a consideration.

+1 to rice hulls. I just tapped a FFF Gumballhead clone and it's delish (40% wheat, amarillo hops)

Thanks for the input. Really appreciated. I am going to look at moving those hop additions around.

had never heard of el dorado until this, very interesting sounding hop!

is there any specific commercial beer you're wanting to base your flavor off of?
i know that Boulevard 80-acre is:
20% wheat malt
17.5% flaked wheat
the rest base pale malt.

i would honestly try to bring up the ibus to about your OG range. so that your IBU:OG ratio is about even. but that's my personal preference. especially if you go with a slightly higher mash temp, which might put your FG up by a point or 2.

i agree to get rid of the 30 minute addition, and bringing the rest to the whirlpool. i've also read that it's really good if you can get your flameout additions and your dry hop additions to about the same ratio.

El Dorado is an awesome hop. I think it will go nice with citra. Agree with everyone else to move the 30 minute and get more flavor from if.

Back