Citrusy IPA, tell me what you think!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freakish

Reaction score
hey yall. Planning a brew sesh with a buddy, this is what he came up with. I dont see much, if anything, we should change. But i dont want to miss something and have his beer not turn out so good. :mug:

3 gallon batch
3.75 gallon boil

Target OG: 1.068
Target FG: 1.015

4.75# Light DME (95%)
0.25# Corn Sugar (5%)

0.75oz Magnum @ 60
0.75oz Centennial @ 20
0.50oz Cascade @ 5
0.50oz Citra @ 5

0.25 Cascade Dry Hop @ 7 days
1.50 Citra Dry Hop @ 7 days

Estimated ibu: 91
Estimated abv: 7

Fermenting with US-05 @ 70 degrees

Much appreeshed!

A 1.068 IPA fermented at 70F is going to be kinda harsh. And if you let it age out, you'll loose the dry hop effect. Recipe looks OK. If it were me, I'd move the centenial to 10min since you've only got 1oz less than 20 (not counting DH), and I'd do whatever I could to keep that sucker at 65-66F for the first week of fermentation.

I pretty much agree with ghpeel, especially on the fermentation temperature. I'd tweak the schedule a bit differently: move the Centennial to 15 minutes and slide the Cascade to 10. And I hope that the 7 days for the two dry hops are concurrent and not serial...

Cheers!

Check out the fresh squeezed IPA recipe. Phenomenal beer. I always have some brewing...with my own twists of course. You'll love it.

I found Citra to be pretty intense in the aroma. 1.5 ounces may be too much. For a Citra APA I only used half an ounce for dry hop and still got a pretty strong aroma at bottling. YMMV

I've done a couple beers with citra as the dryhop, one was 1.5 ounces for a 5 gallon batch, the other was .5 for a 3 gallon batch. The 1.5/5gal was good the .5/3gal was too little. 1.5 didnt overpower but it wasnt subtle and we're looking for that BAM citrus aroma. An ounce would probably do the trick, but hey, why the hell not? He's got 2 ounces, lets use em!

Your recipe looks pretty good to me but I would encourage you to look at your grain bill again. When I first started brewing, I did an american pale ale with just light dme and it came out intensely bitter and a little boring. It was a good lesson for how malts and hops play together but I wasn't very happy with the beer. If I were you I would consider adding some steeping grains to the beer. Most people use a little crystal ~60L or bready malt like victory. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with whatever specialty grain you choose as long as it isn't really dark. Just pick one and use .25 - .5 lb. I think you will be much happier with the flavor of the beer.

Also, your FG of 1.015 looks a bit high to me. US-05, I think, is the same as YLP-001 which is a yeast I use a lot. I frequently get beers that are below 1.010 with that yeast so I would expect that with your corn sugar added you are going to be very near 1.010 if not below. That's just in my experience though.

Some people have encouraged you to keep your temp below 70, I ferment all my beers at ambient 70-72 and have been very happy with them. Its my understanding that cooler temps will limit ester production as well as the development of fusel alcohols. The fusels are the thing that will make your beer less enjoyable to drink, however, in my experience that stain of yeast doesn't produce much if any fusel alcohols.

Good luck with the brew.

Your recipe looks pretty good to me but I would encourage you to look at your grain bill again. When I first started brewing, I did an american pale ale with just light dme and it came out intensely bitter and a little boring. It was a good lesson for how malts and hops play together but I wasn't very happy with the beer. If I were you I would consider adding some steeping grains to the beer. Most people use a little crystal ~60L or bready malt like victory. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with whatever specialty grain you choose as long as it isn't really dark. Just pick one and use .25 - .5 lb. I think you will be much happier with the flavor of the beer.

Also, your FG of 1.015 looks a bit high to me. US-05, I think, is the same as YLP-001 which is a yeast I use a lot. I frequently get beers that are below 1.010 with that yeast so I would expect that with your corn sugar added you are going to be very near 1.010 if not below. That's just in my experience though.

Some people have encouraged you to keep your temp below 70, I ferment all my beers at ambient 70-72 and have been very happy with them. Its my understanding that cooler temps will limit ester production as well as the development of fusel alcohols. The fusels are the thing that will make your beer less enjoyable to drink, however, in my experience that stain of yeast doesn't produce much if any fusel alcohols.

Good luck with the brew.

Thanks for the reply and input. I've made a few using crystal60 and 40. Honestly, i didnt care for what they brought to the beer. I was using 3-5% of my total bill and steeping at 150 for a little bit and took them out as temp rose to 170. For one reason or another, i didnt like the sweetness they added. It was pretty consistent from 5% pales to 9% Dipa's. I've recently done a few with just DME and i liked the way they've turned out better. Maybe its just me.

BJCP says ipa's (and dipa's) should have a fg between 1.010 to 1.018 (1.020 for dipa), so im not worried if it finishes at 15, it's right in the middle of the style. Also, even going from 1.070 to 1.015 is almost 80 attentuation, you cant ask for much more than that..

I told him to crack a window in the room which the closet is in, crack the door a bit, and deal with it not being a comfy 70 in his apt. We have it going between 64-66 depending if anyone is home and if he is cooking (which he'll shut the door), so we'll see how clean this turns out compared to ones i have bottled where i kept the temp at 70 ambient. This is what homebrewing is about, trying out little tweaks here and there and finding what works!

Blad3r -- Thanks for that recipe, i'll definately give a good look and consideration. Appreciate it!

Thanks for all the tips, guys! :ban:

Back