Heady Topper- Can you clone it?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

sicktght311

Reaction score
Here is the recipe I have been using. I think I nailed it!

Fermentables:

15 lbs Pearl base malt (86%)
0.6 lb Cara malt (Crystal 10) (4%)
1.75 lb Corn sugar (10%)

Water profile
CA: 50 ppm
So4: 300
RA: -40

Mash 60 min ~146 degrees

Boil:

Warrior 1.5 oz 60 min
Simcoe 1 oz 30 min
Columbus 2 oz 15 min
Simcoe 2 oz 10 min
Amarillo 1 oz 5 min

Whirlpool:

Simcoe 2 oz
Amarillo 1 oz

Dry Hop:

Simcoe 3 oz
Brewing this version this coming weekend with Imperial Barbarian. My only concern is the sugar and the low mash temp. This thing has to finish bone dry based on this recipe. What was the final gravity?? Also single dryhop after fermentation is complete?

PianoMan

My Faak it-list is longer then my Bucket list
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to brew this, did anyone brew this and how did it turn out?
Been a long time. I wasn't close but not due to recipe but hop introduction technique. I've changed how hops are introduced so maybe I'll join you in an attempt.

I don't do hopshots (will sub with columbus) I use a hop spider for boil/whirlpool additions though. The dry hopping is divided into 2. First is at day 3 of fermentation. The second is at kegging. I heat up a quart of water to 125F then, with a hop spider (sanitized), I'll steep the 2nd dry hop. Ensure you have plenty of yeast and cold crash before kegging. I now always add potassium sorbate and ascorbic acid for oxygen control. My 2 cents.

Because of my way, I add more hops and more grain also.

hopfenstopfen

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been a long time. I wasn't close but not due to recipe but hop introduction technique. I've changed how hops are introduced so maybe I'll join you in an attempt.

I don't do hopshots (will sub with columbus) I use a hop spider for boil/whirlpool additions though. The dry hopping is divided into 2. First is at day 3 of fermentation. The second is at kegging. I heat up a quart of water to 125F then, with a hop spider (sanitized), I'll steep the 2nd dry hop. Ensure you have plenty of yeast and cold crash before kegging. I now always add potassium sorbate and ascorbic acid for oxygen control. My 2 cents.

Because of my way, I add more hops and more grain also.
Hey @PianoMan can you offer an HBT thread or other website offering guidance on potassium sorbate & ascorbic acid for oxygen control? I have only seen this mentioned one other time.

PianoMan

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey @PianoMan can you offer an HBT thread or other website offering guidance on potassium sorbate & ascorbic acid for oxygen control? I have only seen this mentioned one other time.
Myself, and most anyone else that uses fruit in secondary, uses potassium sorbate to put any remaining yeast asleep so that no more fermentation occurs. Just as critical is a cold crash to drop out the yeast in the first place. I started using with my hard lemonades. However as I began to pursue hazy IPAs with massive secondary, I, and many others, would get post fermentation diacetyl. I started using it in beer along with the technique described.

As far as ascorbic acid, aka "Vitamin C", it's already a well known food preserver. Just Google it, you'll get all the info you need.

Drummone

Reaction score
Maybe a fermzilla or similar is the way to go here. I have one and have zero oxygen issues. Dry hopping is definitely oxygen free and you have the option to dump yeast/hop trub. What’s the concensus on the recipe?

PianoMan

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe a fermzilla or similar is the way to go here. I have one and have zero oxygen issues. Dry hopping is definitely oxygen free and you have the option to dump yeast/hop trub. What’s the concensus on the recipe?
I have a FermZilla but the tube would get clogged with massive hop additions. The dumping bottle was not big enough to hold all the trub. It was a pain to clean. And In my case, just never found a easy solution to temp control. Other's may have found solutions. I bought it for that very reason you mentioned! But ultimately went back to my buckets for easier brewing.

This recipe was the OPs 4th attempt so thinking the OP got it working. Good luck and report back!

hopfenstopfen

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Myself, and most anyone else that uses fruit in secondary, uses potassium sorbate to put any remaining yeast asleep so that no more fermentation occurs. Just as critical is a cold crash to drop out the yeast in the first place. I started using with my hard lemonades. However as I began to pursue hazy IPAs with massive secondary, I, and many others, would get post fermentation diacetyl. I started using it in beer along with the technique described.

As far as ascorbic acid, aka "Vitamin C", it's already a well known food preserver. Just Google it, you'll get all the info you need.

Thanks. If I follow you correctly
1) you’re using potassium sorbate (some use campden tabs) to guard against hop creep induced vdk?.
2) you’re using ascorbic acid to scavenge O2 because you use a secondary fv? Not that you wouldn’t use it anyway.

I get creep in my neipas frequently. When are you typically dry hopping? I use mosaic a lot & its reputedly a major offender.

PianoMan

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. If I follow you correctly
1) you’re using potassium sorbate (some use campden tabs) to guard against hop creep induced vdk?.
2) you’re using ascorbic acid to scavenge O2 because you use a secondary fv? Not that you wouldn’t use it anyway.

I get creep in my neipas frequently. When are you typically dry hopping? I use mosaic a lot & its reputedly a major offender.
I'm not that technical. I use PS to guard against post fermentation diacetyl. Dry Hop-1 is after day 3 fermentation. As mentioned, "Dry-Hop"-2 is hop steeping and directly added to the keg. After doing this, 1000% improvement with my IPAs. Luckily I have hop head friends who helped with critiques. Everyone has they're own set-up, tastes and ways of doing things but this works for my personal goals.

couchsending

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Alchemist beers are dry hopped once post fermentation at temps close to 45. I believe Heady/Focal are only 1.5#/bbl DH. That being said I haven’t had a good can of either in so long. Latest cans I had were Total grass bombs. Undrinkable for me honestly, which bums me out.

stickyfinger

Reaction score
Cool, why didn't I think of that. This could really help some of my friends who insist on dry hopping at warm temps and who often have some diacetyl. So, I could advise them to ferment out their beers and then add PS and dry hop. How much PS do you need to add? Do you dissolve it in some water and add it with the dry hops and swirl?

I'm not that technical. I use PS to guard against post fermentation diacetyl. Dry Hop-1 is after day 3 fermentation. As mentioned, "Dry-Hop"-2 is hop steeping and directly added to the keg. After doing this, 1000% improvement with my IPAs. Luckily I have hop head friends who helped with critiques. Everyone has they're own set-up, tastes and ways of doing things but this works for my personal goals.

PianoMan

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Cool, why didn't I think of that. This could really help some of my friends who insist on dry hopping at warm temps and who often have some diacetyl. So, I could advise them to ferment out their beers and then add PS and dry hop. How much PS do you need to add? Do you dissolve it in some water and add it with the dry hops and swirl?
Since I go directly to keg after cold crash, then add the hop steep addition, I don't dissolve them, just add directly. I do about 1tbl for 5gal which is less then the recommended 1tsp/gal. The ascorbic acid I do as recommended, 1tsp/5gal. The whole time, the CO2 is on purging the keg also.

Trillium

Reaction score
Brewing this version this coming weekend with Imperial Barbarian. My only concern is the sugar and the low mash temp. This thing has to finish bone dry based on this recipe. What was the final gravity?? Also single dryhop after fermentation is complete?
Im actually going to brew this again this weekend. The recipe i posted is very close. Aiming for 1.072 post boil so it finishes at 8%.

Dry hopping should be 4 oz since since the IPA book says John uses about 0.83 oz per gallon.

Fermentation schedule:
Start at 68 deg F and raise by 1 deg every day for 4 days.
I have a conical so I drop yeast before dry hopping for 4 days.
I then drop the hops and celler for 2 weeks at 39 deg F.

Last edited:

Latest posts