Red ale suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkerhd36

Reaction score
My wife is wanting me to brew a sweeter really malty red ale. Any favorites or suggestions that i should take a look at?

I've made several beers with:

5 lbs. Marris Otter
5 lbs. 10L Munich
1 lb. 80L Crystal

as a base. Comes out bright red, extremely malty, caramel-y, and delicious. Hop as desired and ferment with either an American or English ale yeast. I like Styrian Goldings at ~40 IBUs and Wyeast Irish Ale. If you like it sweeter, cut back on the hops and mash hot.

I've made several beers with:

5 lbs. Marris Otter
5 lbs. 10L Munich
1 lb. 80l Crystal

as a base. Comes out bright red, extremely malty, caramel-y, and delicious. Hop as desired and ferment with either an American or English ale yeast. I like Styrian Goldings at ~40 IBUs and Wyeast Irish Ale. If you like it sweeter, cut back on the hops and mash hot.

that sounds delicious, thanks for sharing.

One of my more interesting experiments I've done with this base was to hop it to about ~65 IBUs with Nelson Sauvin and ferment really dry with the Westmalle yeast. One of the most unusual and tasty beers I've made.

I was thinking about trying some sort of belgian style yeast .... So you liked the westmalle yeast in it?

Yeah, the Westmalle was really good, but that version was geared more toward fruit, spice, and hops than malty-ness. I was trying to do a pseudo-clone of Brewery Vivant's Big Red Coq Belgian red IPA. If you want something sweet and malty I would go for an English strain, or maybe an Irish or Scottish ale strain. I think it would also be fantastic with the Anchor yeast if you can ferment at < 65. You could hop it with Northern Brewer and it would be kind of like a red steam beer. Yum.

Back