recipes without early bittering hop addition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domdom

Reaction score
i've seen a couple recipes recently that do not have an early bittering hop addition at 60 or 45 minutes. one as a porter that had an ounce of bravo at 15 minutes and another was a mexican lager with 1.5 oz amarillo at 10 minutes. two very different styles. i hadn't seen this before and was wondering if anyone else and tried this technique. would the beer have any bitterness or would the hops only contribute flavor? any issues with long term stability for beers without bittering hops?

You get bitterness from the isomerization of the hop oils. In a 60 minute boil nearly all the hop oil would isomerize but I've read that about 90% is done in 30 minutes. Any time the wort is above about 180F that isomerization is happening. If you do a "hop stand" at the end of the boil, you get more bittering. If you do a no-chill, you get more bittering too.

When the wort is boiling it is also driving off the aromatic hop oils. The longer the boil, the less aroma (and taste, they are linked) you get. The less time the heat is applied the more flavor and aroma are left in the beer. If you add hops when the beer is cool, very little aroma is driven off which is why dry hopping is so popular.

I've heard it called hop bursting - all the bitterness achieved in the last 15 minutes. Taken to the extreme- it means you only need to boil for 15 mins. Not sure I'd do that with all grain, but I have with extract and made a great beer (look for 15 minute pale ale)

thanks for the input. i'll give it a shot sometime with a pale ale and see. DaWhip, let me know how yours turns out.

Yep, it's called hopbursting. It works. It's a good idea to use software to figure out how much and when to add the hops exactly -- maybe 15 minutes, maybe 13 or 11 or 17 or whatever to get the IBUs that you want, along with plenty of hop flavor.

I just brewed a Galaxy pale ale, 60 min boil with hop additions at 20, 5, 1 minutes for 40 IBU's.

I make a wheat beer with eldorado and citra with additions starting at 15 min. Taste great with plenty of bitterness and abundant hop aroma

Back